MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There aren't any kids in my house. I'm thinking of keeping a loaded mag in it, without a round in the chamber, inside a small zipped pistol case in my drawer (maybe covered by some socks).

How do you keep yours in your house? Do you have kids or no?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Eddo36 said:
There aren't any kids in my house. I'm thinking of keeping a loaded mag in it, without a round in the chamber, inside a small zipped pistol case in my drawer (maybe covered by some socks).

How do you keep yours in your house? Do you have kids or no?

I don't have any kids either. I keep my M&P 40 stored in my nightstand without the magazine in it and no round in the chamber when ever I am home. When I leave home I put it back in an electronic pistol vault with the rest of my pistols.

·
Registered
524 Posts
If I'm not wearing it, its either on the table loaded and in a holster as I surf the net and watch TV on the couch with the girlfriend, or its next to my bed loaded and in a holster while we sleep.

If I'm going somewhere where and I won't be out long and for some reason I can't bring it with me, I leave it in the holster in a drawer in my room. If I'm going somewhere for a while and it can't come with (spending the night in NJ for instance) it gets locked up in the lock box, unloaded, and the loop lock around the metal shelf it sits on so that the entire case can't just be run off with, pistol and all.

When I get a few more firearms, I'll invest in a safe. No kids at my place, and I live on the 11th floor in an apartment building with the front door to both the building and my individual apartment locked. I am not worried much about a break in.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
no kids here, i keep mine loaded one in the chamber in my owb holster right next to me while i sleep, or near me while watching tv. I also have a fully loaded with buckshot Mossberg pistol grip in the closet.

I used to have a nine in the bathroom, just in cause some one came in while i was on the shitter !! lol

·
Registered
573 Posts
No kids here. Daytime it is on my hip or in the center console of my truck, nighttime on the nightstand. Always 17 in the mag, one in the chamber.............

·
Registered
103 Posts
17 in the mag, one in the chamber, carried in a Rafter S holster except when I'm sleeping. At night, it sits on my desk next to my bed.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Guess it's odd that I keep mine in the box it came in stuffed in a drawer then

Got 5 mags w/ 10 rounds each .... 2 mags in the box the rest next to it. I might start puttin a mag in with no round in the chamber though, can't really misfire that way without some wierd major malfunction. There's also another 300 rounds in the drawer as well along with some snap caps.

Got my 22 with all 4 mags loaded in it's box in the closet. No kids in the house either.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Crown Royal Bag...

No kids around the house so I keep several loaded guns around. The one I keep within easy reach, usually my MP 9MM compact or my MP 40, I keep in one of those purple Crown Royal bags. I always knew I would find a use for all those purple bags someday.

I have a S & W, 686 357 magnum in my night stand and the easy reach, Crown Royal bag goes on my night stand when I go to bed.

A desk drawer in my home office holds my loaded Bersa Thunder 380. My wife has a S & W 642 snubbie loaded with + P's and/or her Baby Desert Eagle 9mm within easy reach or in her night stand. She recently bought a Springfield 1911, 45 caliber, Micro Compact that needs some more getting used to before it makes it to the self defense status.

Our home would be a bad choice for a B.G. with bad intentions. :wink:

·
Registered
269 Posts
I keep my M&P loaded with one in the chamber right next to the .38 snubbie in the drawer of my nightstand

I also have a mag for the AR in there and the AR on top of my dresser cocked and locked

·
Registered
27 Posts
You don't want to know how... I live in Canada :?

But! If that weren't an issue...

No kids so.

- Bedside night stand, (DA's - mag in, not chambered)

- one in the garage/shop

- next to the lazy boy

I like the bathroom idea :wink:

Actually it's not to bad in Canada. A GunVault is good for storage with pistol and mag (not in the gun though :roll: ). Unfortunately, use of force (especially w/gun) will 99.999% of the time result in your arrest. Not that I care in the matter of life and limb.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have a kid.

My guns are locked away when not on my person... with the exception of night time. At night, the M&P gets stored on my night stand with one in the chamber, and a full magazine next to it. I like this set-up, despite all the complaints about the magazine safety. It allows me to put the gun in "go" condition by simply sliding the magazine into the gun...

When morning comes, it either gets placed on my hip, or locked away.

Raymond

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
If its not on my person it's locked in one of the safes. If it's in the big safe out in garage it's unloaded as well. I have a small handgun safe in the bedroom and my G17 is in there and is always in condition one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have two kids...

one is 5, the other is 1

the 5 year old has already been instructed on gun safety extensively...

the M&P is always right near me...in its holster...if I am wearing it, the round is chambered, if it is off of me the chamber is empty (the one year old is grabby)...but it is always right here

i think it is all about situational awareness and education...when im downstairs at night i will generally keep my drop ruck with me and tuck it in there so its not just sitting out (and therefore the focus of previously mentioned grabby one year old) but it is there...so its always nearby...i dont just leave loaded handguns unattended around the house...having said that...i live in a well populated area where there are home invasions, and I dont do my children or my family a damn bit of good if someone breaks through the front door while i am downstairs with them at night (which has happened around here) and all my guns are upstairs because I didnt want my kids to be around them...

No, they are here, with me, where they can be employed...I have little doubt that if someone enters this house I can engage in the first 10-20 seconds or so depending on point of entry and where I am in the house...maybe even shorter...whether thats enough is to be seen...but its a hell of a lot shorter than someone who has to go to the safe upstairs to get a gun

·
Registered
38 Posts
I do have kids so mine stay locked up. Wife's rules too.

I have a speed safe by my bed which holds my full size 1911 cocked and locked with thumb safety on it. Extra mag in there too.

Rest are stored in gun safe unloaded.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I have kids, in the process of teaching proper safety and shooting techniques. With that being said I have mine locked, but with loaded mags close to me. I know that slows me down ALOT but where I live, 45 years, never had a problem here. I would never forgive myself if anything happened with one of my kids because of them playing with my guns. I hope soon I can feel better that the curiosity factor will be gone.

·
Registered
42 Posts
No kiddies here either, full mag, empty chamber in my holster. Which is either on my hip or within arms reach always (aka. night stand).

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
no chidlins here, as soon as my ccw gets here i will have the gun on my hip with a full magazine but nothing chambered. if someone ever tried to take the gun from me (i'm not a ninja) it won't go off during the fight and i could always drop the magazine if i knew i can't keep ahold of the gun, this way the thing couldn't be used on me while i reach for my 38 revolver in a pocket holster. at night time it is right next to me or by my bed, magazine loaded but nothing chambered.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Right now it's on the coffee table in the holster. At night in the top drawer of the nightstand. I always keep it in condition one unless it's in the car (my lovely state of Maryland has many restrictions on it's citizens regarding 2A
) No kids here either, so it's always ready if the need arises.

I don't see the logic of carrying a weapon that's not ready to fire when you need it. You might as well have a stick on your hip if you're not going to carry the pistol with a loaded chamber. YMMV

1 - 20 of 72 Posts