Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pad of finger for slow fire, first joint for rapid fire

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's said that you use your pad of finger only for single-action auto's. For double-action auto's and revolvers, you use your first joint.

However, I use the pad of my finger, otherwise I keep jerking the gun to the left if I try to use my distal joint. I now use the large handle for my M&P.

But since M&P is double-action, I heard that you are supposed to use your distal joint with DA auto's and revolvers, and use your pad only for single-action auto's.

But I shoot more accurately with my pad, rather than having my grouping go slightly to the left. What do you use?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I teach all of my shooters to use the center of the first pad. If you use the first joint, you tend to jerk to the right, if you go too far to the front of the pad, you tend to push left. Good practice for dry firing is to place a dime just behind the front site and try to keep it their while pushing the trigger to the rear. This will make you more focused on the trigger so you get used to when it will break.

Bill

NRA Life Member

US Marine 11 years and running

Marine Rifle and Pistol Marksmanship Instructor

Pistol and Rifle Expert

·
Registered
361 Posts
I can usually get better groups from my long rifles by using the pad of my finger. I just carried that over to handguns, or any thing with a trigger. Pistol grip drills too!!

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
mtb1bkr said:
I teach all of my shooters to use the center of the first pad. If you use the first joint, you tend to jerk to the right, if you go too far to the front of the pad, you tend to push left. Good practice for dry firing is to place a dime just behind the front site and try to keep it their while pushing the trigger to the rear. This will make you more focused on the trigger so you get used to when it will break.

Bill

NRA Life Member

US Marine 11 years and running

Marine Rifle and Pistol Marksmanship Instructor

Pistol and Rifle Expert

I agree.

·
Registered
141 Posts
First joint.

I've tried to use the pad, but with the trigger job it seems too awkward.

Currently using the med grip.

Recently been practicing with the large grip to try and

get the trigger back on the pad.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Question for those who use pad- does your finger get sore after shooting a lot? Like ~1000 rounds in a week? Mines did.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I dunno,

I guess I'm an odd-ball (just ask my ex wife).

I think my trigger lay is different depending on which gun I'm shooting.

I establish the grip first and let the trigger finger "fall where it may".

Y'all have a really great day.

BLACKJACK

·
Registered
377 Posts
I find that while dry firing I get the least or no jerk if I use the joint.

·
Registered
367 Posts
With the M&P its the first joint. I know its not right but I do much better this way. I've been back and forth over 1200 rounds with it and it works better for me. With other guns its different.

·
Registered
17 Posts
mtb1bkr said:
Good practice for dry firing is to place a dime just behind the front site and try to keep it their while pushing the trigger to the rear.

This is how i was taught, but with an empty case standing upright on the slide.

Those are everywhere at the range, the cost of lost dimes can add up quick!!!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Pad of the finger and press straight back

The leading cause of accurate shooting is trigger manipulation

(Also the leading cause of inaccurate shooting)

·
Registered
232 Posts
The way I teach at the range is pad of the finger for pistol shooting, what I do is have the shooter draw and come up to the ready gun position I will then instruct to place finger on the trigger, while doing so I will come up along the shooters strong side and place a pen in between the shooters hand and the frame of the pistol. Seems to work well for everyone.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Its bilt for full finger.

thats what i read anyway My 1911 must be shot with tip of finger,

both my M&Ps are most accurate when the trigger is in the middle of my first joint.

During dry fire drills you can see the gun shake with finger tip, then nice and steady

when using first joint.

This is the same with my glock 17

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
BLACKJACK said:
I dunno,

I guess I'm an odd-ball (just ask my ex wife).

I think my trigger lay is different depending on which gun I'm shooting.

I establish the grip first and let the trigger finger "fall where it may".

Y'all have a really great day.

BLACKJACK

+1

There is more than one oddball here Blackjack

:twisted:

·
Registered
45 Posts
with glock and 1911 i use the pad but i found that with the MP i actually shoot alot better with the first joint or as close to it as i can get

1 - 20 of 20 Posts