MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to these wonderful pistols. I'm a long time SIG Sauer and HK shooter, along with others, but these are my hangun brands I'm passionate about. These pistols have gotten my interest like nothing else over the last several years. I now own two, full size and compact 9mm, and will be buying the full .40 and compact when available, as well as the .45

Now...I have not personally experienced any failures or defects with my compact, but only have about 400 rounds through it. I have yet to shoot my full size 9 having just bought it yesterday. I do have to say however, I'm a bit concerned at the number of problem reports...FTE's, sights falling off, slides slamming home or prematurely locking back, and broken strikers. I mean there over 600 posts in the technical problem section of this forum alone. That sucks.

This is a pistol I'm so betting on. It has so many outstanding qualities. The fit and finish is as good or even better than my HK's, the triggers on my two pistols aren't gritty at all, the lockup is vault solid with NO slide to frame play, the ergonomics are PERFECT for my hand with the small back strap, the pistol points as naturally as a 1911, and it's a very handsome pistol to boot! It has the feel of a pistol that would be hard to wear out, yet there are a lot of owners talking about trips back to Springfield, range breakdowns, and one of the most frustrating thinng for a self defense pistol is the FTE's and striker failures. As I said, I haven't had a chance to even shoot the full size 9 yet, but in ejecting a live round from the pistol it kind of dribbles out of the ejector port, vs spinning out with authority as my SIG's, HK's and even the MP compact does.

So, let's hear it. How many of you have experienced no failures, or problems of any kind after a 1000 or so rounds? I like Glocks, but have made myself accept several things that I would just as soon do without. I'm hoping this is the pistol with the right price point to do that.

Thanks for reading and contributing!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had 2 FTFs in the first 20 rounds ... I believe related to new gun, stiff spring, tight slide, my poor technique, etc.

None since ... 1300 rounds.

·
Registered
323 Posts
1500 and still ticking without a FTE, or FTF. Mines good to go!

·
Registered
524 Posts
I do have to say however, I'm a bit concerned at the number of problem reports...FTE's, sights falling off, slides slamming home or prematurely locking back, and broken strikers. I mean there over 600 posts in the technical problem section of this forum alone. That sucks.

But only 53 topics... so if I post in the tech difficulties forum with a suggestion, its an indication that my M&P which has been great for 1600 rounds now, is part of the problem?

I really don't get it where people find all these "problems" alarming... the M&P is in line with every other popular gun model. People with problems are obviously going to post more often. Who posts: "yeap......everything's fine and dandy.......still good............aaand still peachy..."

S&W has been blistering fast at solving the initial issues, much faster then any other manufacturer in almost any industry. I think the M&P has had very minor teething issues, and they have been resolved.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ClosetCaseNerd said:
I do have to say however, I'm a bit concerned at the number of problem reports...FTE's, sights falling off, slides slamming home or prematurely locking back, and broken strikers. I mean there over 600 posts in the technical problem section of this forum alone. That sucks.

But only 53 topics... so if I post in the tech difficulties forum with a suggestion, its an indication that my M&P which has been great for 1600 rounds now, is part of the problem?

I really don't get it where people find all these "problems" alarming... the M&P is in line with every other popular gun model. People with problems are obviously going to post more often. Who posts: "yeap......everything's fine and dandy.......still good............aaand still peachy..."

S&W has been blistering fast at solving the initial issues, much faster then any other manufacturer in almost any industry. I think the M&P has had very minor teething issues, and they have been resolved.

Good points and I hope you're right :!:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Only issue my compact has had so far was a poor handload I tried.

Over 700 rounds without problem 1.

By my own research.... (flawed and biased I am sure) the M+P has just about the best track record for out of box function. S+W also has just about the best rep for customer service of all the major makers.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Only two range sessions thus far, and just 200 rounds through it...but so far, so great -- no failures whatsoever. I'd think if I was going to experience any, I'd be seeing them now during the "break-in" period, so I'm very encouraged and pleased.

·
Registered
17 Posts
M&P 40 s/n MPB544x has been flawless with 1065 round through it, I have upgraded the slide release and the striker after all those rounds and need to get back out with the new striker. I dry fire about 100 times every couple of nights with an A-Zoom snap cap in place. It with me every day in a Desantis NYPAD paddle holster.

·
Registered
113 Posts
6k+ rounds!

My first M&P 40 was an absolute lemon. In true S&W fashion I was taken care of with a new firearm. It has been absolutely flawless. 6k+ rounds and I have one light primer strike (WWB) at approximately 5k rounds. I have had about 3 double feeds. All double feeds I believe have been because of WWB ammunition. (I have noticed the brass flares excessively compared to other ammo after it has been discharged) I have not had a single failure with over 1.5k rounds of Ranger ammo.

This is damn close to flawless. BTW, I replaced the recoil spring at 5k rounds.

·
Registered
297 Posts
700 rds through my MP9 without any problems. Mostly WWB ammo. And I still havent cleaned it, but I'm getting ready to do that now actually.

·
Registered
141 Posts
M&P 40 s/n MPA6xxx.

Light primer strikes, Slide lock problem.

Sent to S&W, now works flawlessly. Oh yea, free mag, who else has done that?

Mine was one of the earlier production models and I did expect problems.

I feel the M&P is still in it's early stages yet and problems will arise.

It's growing pains, plain and simple. S&W appears to be doing a heck of

a job staying on top of it.

I know several people who are going to purchase an M&P, but they are waitting until several more have been produced just for the reasons stated above.

My thoughts are there is no better quality control than the consumer. If you don't want to be a part of that, then you might want to wait awhile for issues to be worked out.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
IAShooter said:
M&P 40 s/n MPA6xxx.

Light primer strikes, Slide lock problem.

Sent to S&W, now works flawlessly. Oh yea, free mag, who else has done that?

Mine was one of the earlier production models and I did expect problems.

I feel the M&P is still in it's early stages yet and problems will arise.

It's growing pains, plain and simple. S&W appears to be doing a heck of

a job staying on top of it.

I know several people who are going to purchase an M&P, but they are waitting until several more have been produced just for the reasons stated above.

My thoughts are there is no better quality control than the consumer. If you don't want to be a part of that, then you might want to wait awhile for issues to be worked out.

Well I'm not waiting...already have two and will have a third second week of February. I'm liking the string of no problem reports though. It's pouring rain again here in Dallas and the closest shooting range indoors is Bass Pro....just got back from there with the new Full size 9 and there was over an hour wait to shoot. I REALLY hate shooting there or indoor anywhere for that matter, but a bit too muddy to trek out to the outdoor club. So...STILL haven't shot the full size 9 after buying it Thursday.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts