MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own three mags for my M&P Shield 45; two 6+1 and the standard 6 that came with the weapon. I plan on purchasing a few more. I carry two extra mags with me and am wondering as a general consensus, how many spare mags do other concealed carriers usually have on them.

·
Site Staff
9,600 Posts
Personally I believe 5 mags for any one pistol is about the minimum.

·
Registered
261 Posts
For my PC.40, I have 2-7 round, and 4- 6 round magazines that have the Pierce pinky extension on them.
For CC, I carry two spare mags.
If I was going camping or something, I'd take all my Shield mags, or better yet my FS M&P or one of my carbines in 7.62 x 39.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
For the M&P I have MANY and many are extended or are just hi cap'. But that's also because they are also used in my PCC. If the zombiepocalypse happens one can't have enough loaded mags.

For any "serious" gun I won't have fewer than 10 mags. I figure that cost into the cost of the firearm but I don't purchase all of those mags with the gun. The firearm needs to prove itself first before that expenditure. I wait for them to be specially priced most times; depends on the gun and if they'll ever be specially priced. Some never are.

How many do I carry? I carry off body and the spare mag needs to fit into where it goes. One in the 9c and one in the pouch, but it's an extended 9c mag. All totaled I have 40ish rounds on hand. I could have more if I wanted to have them in the main compartment with other gear.

·
Registered
295 Posts
M&P 9, probably about 15. Shield, 12. AR, 20 or 30. 1911s, 15

For carry, I may carry one extra. 1911's (before I got into M&Ps), I sometimes carried 2

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
M&P 45 Shield: Main carry weapon
w/6+1 OEM Mag in the gun. I carry two extra 7rd back-up mags. (total of 21rds)
I carry the 6rd OEM mag in the gun for conceal-ability reasons.

Glock 43: Ankle carry weapon
w/7+1 & two of the 7rd back-up mags. (pearse +1 bases total of 21rds)

If i need more rounds than that, i`m in the wrong place at the wrong time.

All my SD ammo is Federal HST (both weapons shoot POA/POI)
1) 45 230HP
2) 9mm 124HP

And i carry chamber HOT!
If equipped with a trigger safety, its is disabled from day one from new.

·
Registered
386 Posts
For those that mention carrying Federal HST I saw yesterday that the prices jumped about $10.00 per box because Federal is starting to enforce the LEO only policy for the 50rd boxes.

Winchester did this a few years ago.

If you haven't already, stock up now.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
For those that mention carrying Federal HST I saw yesterday that the prices jumped about $10.00 per box because Federal is starting to enforce the LEO only policy for the 50rd boxes.

Winchester did this a few years ago.

If you haven't already, stock up now.
Thanks for the heads up SuperTrucker!!!
They`ve been really hard to find lately in my area, and yes, the price has jumped up quite a bit since i bought last time!
Gets any higher, i`ll jump ship over to the winchester brand of SD carry ammo. That stuff shoots just as good.
If these manufacturers start playing games with ammo, again, there are other ways to fix that issue.
If you stop buying a product, it will get their undivided attention real quick.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Thanks for the heads up SuperTrucker!!!
They`ve been really hard to find lately in my area, and yes, the price has jumped up quite a bit since i bought last time!
Gets any higher, i`ll jump ship over to the winchester brand of SD carry ammo. That stuff shoots just as good.
If these manufacturers start playing games with ammo, again, there are other ways to fix that issue.
If you stop buying a product, it will get their undivided attention real quick.
I agree.
If they want to force us to buy the 20 round boxes for a premium we might as well buy from the boutique ammo companies, Buffalo Bore, Underwood, Double Tap, etc.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I agree.
If they want to force us to buy the 20 round boxes for a premium we might as well buy from the boutique ammo companies, Buffalo Bore, Underwood, Double Tap, etc.
I`ve got more than enough to last me, i`m not going to buy "any brand" if they want to gouge us.
Demand and greed causes prices to get stupid... stop buying, watch how fast they drop prices.
The customer drives prices... just depends on how desperate the customers are.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I have at least 4 magazines for each of my pistols.

When I carry, I have a full mag plus one in the pipe. I rotate the mags about once a month.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I have about 12 for my Shield 40, bought 8 from a member here needing money, plus I already had 2. I carry with the 6 rd mag in the gun, and one 7 rd as a spare.

I have probably 10 mags for my full size M&P's, and 5-6 mags for my M1.0 40c. When carrying my 40c i carry with a compact mag in the gun and a full size mag as a spare.

About a ago I bought 1000 rounds of HST 180 gr ammo for $300 shipped so that should last me for awhile...or at least until a "new and improved magic bullet" comes out!

·
Registered
8,313 Posts
I usually carry one in my M&P40 Shield and a spare in a nylon Buck 110 Folder sheath (see image below), sometimes a third in a backup pistol (ankle holster). As far as how many magazines we own, I could probably lift our box of magazines if they weren't all loaded.
I haven't seen a shortage of duty ammo, we just received a dozen cases of P40HST3 (165 gr.) this week, that's 20 x 50 round boxes per case. We're selling those for ~$30 a box. Last week we received a ton (literally) of 9mm P9HST3 (+p 124 gr) and P9HST4 (+p 147 gr), much of it is for local PD but we're selling the excess for ~$21 a box. We only make a couple bucks a box, but it's enough to keep the lights on and gas in the Jeep.

Reactions: Markie

·
Registered
389 Posts
It depends on the gun for me. With my XD Mod 2 4.0 .45 I carry OWB and I carry 2 extra magazines in a mag holster on the other side. This is only practical in cold ( Jacket ) weather. The rest of the time I carry a Shield and I either carry one extra slid in a front pocket or none.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I have more mags for all of the various models of M&Ps (and 1911s) than I’d care to drag out and count.

For carry reloads, I generally carry two extra mags when carrying a single stack pistol, and one for a doublestack. Now, that will change if I have to venture into a high threat area, though I usually stay well clear of those.

·
Registered
181 Posts
For the Shield 9x19mm eight (8) round capacity magazines. Carry the Shield (9X19 mm with one magazine inserted and one spare magazine. I rotate the magazines monthly. Why eight magazines the magazine storage sleeve pouch holds six magazines and two magazines in use with the pistol.

·
Registered
277 Posts
For carry, two reload mags are standard. I like to have a dozen or more spare magazines for a pistol I shoot regularly, if only so I can load them all up before I hit the range so I won't have to stop and reload them every two minutes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i usually dont carry an extra 1 but i do have at least 3 per gun,,,,,, better to have to many mags then not enough,, never know if you will have a problem with 1

1 - 20 of 27 Posts