MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read that there are a few other people who have the mag that falls out after a few rounds.. scared the hell out of me , since I moved from my Glock 23 to this last week. first 200 rds with no proble, next week i planned on setting another 200 rds free, and the MP40 droped the mag every 4 or 5 rounds.

I read that there are other people.

just would like a count, and a solution if there is one. my shop told me to bring it back tommorow and have the SW gunsmith take a look at it..

thx.

e.b

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
S&W replaces the mag catch on guns with this problem. But first you need to make sure it's not you hitting the mag catch during recoil.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah this subject is all over this site. I say send it in...I sent in mine and am currently waiting for it to come home.

·
Registered
94 Posts
You can send it and they can "replace the mag catch" but it doesn't mean it's fixed. My .40 is back for it's second trip for the SAME problem, after they "fixed" it. I think there is a problem. I'm not sure what they will do to "fix" it this time, but I'm thinking a new frame at least WITH an upgraded mag catch mechanism.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My mpa4# does not have any problems droping mags i have over 1300 rounds through it with 5 different mags. Never heard any thing about replacing frames?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Many hundreds of mag changes in live fire, probably about 200 in live fire. About 3000 rounds through the gun, no magazine problems.

Anyone with issues checking the ammount of engagement you are getting, or if the metal insert in the mag catch/button seems to look normal?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was having this problem, it looked like the mag catch was severely worn after only 300 rds. I switched the release to the right side to give the catch a fresh side, and that fixed the problem for a bit, however the catch was rapidly wearing down. I sent it in to S&W and they had it back to me in a week with a new catch. The new catch was black in color instead of silver so I was hoping the problem had been resolved. I went the the range this weekend and I didn't even get through a 50 rd. box before the problem returned. I removed the catch and it looks like it has had several thousands of rounds worth of abuse. I reversed the catch again and it got me through the rest of the range session.

I am fairly upset that they would send me back the gun without really fixing the problem. They must have gotten a bad batch of mag releases made or there is some sort of problem with my frame. I am going to call Smith later tonight to see what they want me to do. I really like this pistol, however I am very frustrated with this mag catch. I am going to see if my machinist friend can make a full steel mag catch that I will have case hardened, maybe that will work.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
eatonjb said:
[quote name='m4arc']eatonjb - What serial number prefix is your M&P40?

SN is MPM####

is it old or new?

thx. e..b[/quote]

That's a newer one.

So far, from what I can gather, this is an issue with the full sized M&P40. I haven't seen anyone with a 9mm or a compact have this issue. To date the fix seems to be replacing the mag catch although a couple posters have reported that S&W replaced their frames.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
m4arc said:
[quote name='eatonjb'][quote name='m4arc']eatonjb - What serial number prefix is your M&P40?

SN is MPM####

is it old or new?

thx. e..b[/quote]

That's a newer one.

So far, from what I can gather, this is an issue with the full sized M&P40. I haven't seen anyone with a 9mm or a compact have this issue. To date the fix seems to be replacing the mag catch although a couple posters have reported that S&W replaced their frames.[/quote]

well, here's the weird thing on that one.

The guy where I got it changed the mag catch with the one from his working gun (he never saw that issue, and didnt have a new one to swap.). and it did the same thing

well it's going to the shop.. kinda embarasing since all my friends (including myself) carry glocks (G23 for me) and I decided I wanted to be different.. and now they will laugh.

e..b

·
Registered
3 Posts
I too, have the 'mag-drop' problem. My MP9c functioned just fine for about the first 300-400 rounds, then started spontaneously dumping the magazine after each round. I tried just about everything, to include adjusting my grip shooting one handed both weak and dominant hand... I even filed down the face of the mag release so that I was less likely to inadvertently squeeze it. However, I'm now convinced that it isn't me, and most definitely is a faulty mag release or mag release spring. It'll be going back to S&W shortly. Otherwise, I really dig the gun. It fits my hand perfectly and feels really nice. Hoping a trip back to Smith will solve this issue.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
klextacy - You're the first person that I can remember that is reporting this with anything other than a M&P40. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
M4arc,

Will do... It'll be a few more weeks 'til I get back from Kuwait in order to return it to Smith, but I'm just as perplexed as you. I went to great lengths at the range to prove it wasn't me 'fat fingering' the thing. This is a pistol that I fully intended to carry as my CCW, and let's just say my confidence in it has been shaken somewhat.

Will keep you informed!

Christian

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a MP40c # MPM91xx that I sent back to S&W the other day, because it was dropping magazines. At first I thought it might be me, but I spent some time making sure it wasn't. otherwise I really like this gun. Smith was cool about me sending it back to get this taken care of. Still planning on this being a carry gun, but it will be a while.

Will let you all know how this turns out. I am sure Smith will make it right.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts