MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious. People have mentioned 600, 1'000 or 1'300 trouble free rounds in their M&Pc.

How much does everyone shoot in a year?

How many rounds until a gun is broken-in and proven reliable?

How many rounds until it is considered shot out?

----

I've got one of my guns for sale (locally, not on this board) with less than 500 rounds and several of the people looking at it were really concerend about the number of times it's been fired.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
In a year: 40-60,000 depending on what else is going on that year. edited to add: according to my logs, I'm just over 39,800 so far in CY07.

Broken in: a modern handgun shouldn't need to be broken in. However, I'd consider it trustworthy only after at least 500 rounds, 200 rounds of which would have to be with the ammo I intend to carry in it.

Worn out: various from brand to brand, model to model, caliber to caliber. Also, the ammo you shoot, your maintenance routine, rate of fire, and environment all affect how long the various components will last. The industry standard varies from 10,000 to 20,000 rounds as a reported service life, but frequently that is more about the amount of money they're willing to spend for testing than an actual hard limit.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Regarding break in...while I'd like to see the M&P not so finicky it appears that generally speaking the M&P does need a bit of a break in period. This is based on numerous reports on this forum, including my own experience with both my M&Ps where minor hiccups smooth out and disappear after 500 rounds or so. YMMV.

ETA: The "minor hiccups" I'm referring to are things like some hesitation of the slide returning to battery or chamber a round, FTF, FTE, and brass ejecting straight back, etc. We've seen these things worked out with more range time.

·
Registered
280 Posts
My 1911 is hella finicky! Less than 300 rounds and it doesn't like to eat everything I put into it...not like my P220 with many thousands (CPO purchase) through its pipe.

My M&P9c has eaten about 1200 rounds (in about 7 weeks time) and not one problem that wasn't operator induced. The biggest break-in for the M&P seems to be the trigger. It lightens and smooths out considerably after a few hundred rounds.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I dont shoot as many round a year as I would like.

I consider it reliable after 100-200 round of carry ammo without a malfunction

As to durabilty I think very few people actually wear a weapon out, beyond repair

·
Registered
280 Posts
A good pistol is truly hard to wear out beyond the point of repair.

Guys like Rob Leatham and Todd Jarrett have over 100k (yes 100,000) rounds through their competition 1911s, and are still using the same frames and slides, and many of the internals. Obviously things need to get replaced, such as springs and barrels eventually, but the big stuff lasts a long time.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Interesting reading fellas. I always wondered about the wear out factor. Sounds like it could last quite some time with my shooting patten, about 4000 9mm a year!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts