MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I don't own a compact (yet) but from a mechanical standpoint, you normally see equal or better accuracy out of short-barreled pistols because there is less barrel flex. For example, G26/27 pistols can turn in some really outstanding groups.

However, the practical accuracy of the compact is going to be affected by the shorter sight radius. How much it will impact things is dependent on the shooter's skill.

Also, there is probably enough variation in tolerances from gun to gun that any given compact is more accurate than a particular full-size model, and vice-versa.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I just traded my full-size 9mm for a 9 Compact. My first mag sent all rounds into the 9 & 10 ring at 20 yards....I even impressed myself! My full-size shot pretty good...after I re-centered the front sight, but I am shooting much better groups with the Compact. Not sure why, but I am totally satisfied with how it puts holes in the target!

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Before I bought my compact I asked a similar question on this forum. The consensus from the members that posted was that they shot it as good as or even better than their fullsize M&Ps. I have a compact now and I can report the same.

·
Registered
475 Posts
They're the same. Any discrepancies between the two could solely rest in the hands of the shooter, not the gun(s).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why is it that competion shooters use 5" + barrels, is it just because it is easy to aim?

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
cancow said:
Why is it that competion shooters use 5" + barrels, is it just because it is easy to aim?

(1) Longer barrel means higher velocity means you can shoot lighter loads (in theory getting faster splits).

(2) Longer sight radius can mean more precision for long/difficult shots.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I usually sum it up as this:

The compact is VERY easy to shoot accurately. It is way more accurate than most other guns I have shot and it is very easy to shoot quickly and accurately.

The fullsize is RIDICULOUSLY easy to shoot accurately. It is way more accurate than most other guns I have shot and it is ridiculously easy to shoot quickly and accurately.

The full size may not be THE most accurate gun I have ever shot. But it is the EASIEST to shoot well of any that I have shot. The compact is only slightly off that mark due to the smaller grip and shorter sight radius.

·
Registered
76 Posts
agree with all the above -and add - grip variation shot to shot, breathing, and a few other variables likely determine net accuracy. Looking them both in a vice, would likely yield parity shooting.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My full size 40 is pretty acurate, shot my girls 9c last weekend and it is very accurate. Didnt get to do much but at I think it was 10yds I could get average about 1" groups for on average about 6 of 10 rounds. Ofcourse its a little easier to shoot then the 40 but I was very surprised for a compact on how accurate it is. Maybe this weekend Ill get a little more time with it if my eyes heel up enough. (just got prk yesterday)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts