MP-Pistol Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Site Staff
9,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some people have a little trouble posting photos on this message board, we have the common way to do it, as well as an additional method which has some special advantages.

The common way to post photos is used all over the net, first of all you need a photo host that allows you to link to the photos, it can be a free host or you might pay a host. Free hosting sites often have bandwidth limits, people wanting to see the photos instead see a message something like "Bandwidth Exceeded", which isn't very informative. Plus, you need the url of the image itself, not the page the image is on, this is a common mistake, they use the url for the entire page rather than just the image itself.

First you need the Advanced Reply box, the Quick Reply doesn't have the options you need. Along the top edge are an assortment of tools, one of them looks like a little photo with a mountain in it, see below.

When you click on that, a dialog box will pop up and ask for the url of the photo, it needs to be one of the common photo formats, such as .jpg, .gif etc. Please keep your photos a reasonable size, preferably a max of 640 x 640 pixels, and a file size less than 100kb, if your photo is of a reasonable size, its easy to keep the file size down. All the photos I'm posting the largest dimension is 640 pixels.

As an even better alternative, scroll down below the area where you type your post and you will see the better way to post, it doesn't require a photo host, you can upload directly from your computer. These can be bigger, but you still need to keep them at a size that will display properly on a computer screen, preferably less than 800 x 800 pixels, and a file size under 200kb.

Click on the button that says "Manage Attachments", and another dialog box will open.

You can browse to upload a photo directly from your computer, or again, link to a photo you have hosted online. I highly recommend you only link to photos that belong to you and are hosted by you. When through scroll down to the bottom and there's a "Close Window" button you can click. Don't forget to upload the photos before you close the window. Photos loaded in this manner appear at the bottom of the post, and you click on them to view, that way the reader can choose whether or not to view the photos, without having to wait for all of them to load, this is why they can be a bit larger and also have a larger file size, but again, keep it reasonable, I'd prefer to see no more than 800 x 800 and say 200kb file size, there are lots of programs to resize photos, a lot of free ones, one example is the one available for free from gimp.org

GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program

If you have any questions, send me or any member of Site Staff or a Moderator a PM.

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.