MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Awaiting a return label for my MP45 and was wondering the return process? Does an FFL have to initiate the return or what? This is uncharted territory for me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
It will be UPS. UPS will ship it from you, a private owner, to the manufacture. S&W has already paid for the shipping. Print the label and go to a UPS store and have them pack it. (I believe it is UPS policy that they have to pack it.) That's is what I did, and S&W got it, no problem.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
UPS will require you to send it from their hub. The UPS store at the mall will not do, unless you get lucky and they don't know any better. Pack up your pistol, stick the label on the box, take it down there and ship it like you would any other package. The only difference being that UPS policies state you must declare to them that it is a firearm. They might freak out a bit, but it's really not that big of a deal and hopefully there will be someone there that knows the drill. No, they do not have to pack it or inspect it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The UPS store I went to was at the mall. I already had the pistol all boxed up when I went in. When I told them what it was and where it was going, they asked me to remove it, because they said it was their policy that they had to pack it. (And charge me two dollars for their box.) Since they didn't freak out like FedEx did when I tried to ship a pistol to a gunbroker.com winner, I didn't argue with them. They boxed it up, put the label on, and S&W got it the next day.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Well that is not their policy according to their website. This is what can be so frustrating about shipping firearms. They don't know their own policies so you never know what you're going to get. Whenever I ship a pistol I print out their regs and take them with me just in case.

·
Registered
30 Posts
When I shipped my M&P to Smith, I printed an extra label & took the roll of packing tape with me. I just had a weird feeling UPS wouldn't like the package. Good thing, too. The smart-arse UPS lady didn't like the label-it didn't say 'signature required'. I walked a few steps to the car, ripped off the old label, printed 'signature required' on my spare, taped it on the box. The smart-arse ups broad looked highly disappointed that she couldn't screw me over & reluctantly sent the gun.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I had an S&W 9E that I had to send back; the customer service rep sent me a UPS label, I packed the gun up and sent it with the UPS delivery guy that regularly came to our office. At the time I worked for an armored car company, and we regularly received shipments of ammo and other equipment, including some firearms that had been returned to us after factory repair. He had no problem taking the package, and I got the gun back in something like seven or eight days...returned to me by S&W via Fed Ex!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I simply called UPS and arranged for a package pick-up. When the driver arrived at my door, he was advised that it was a firearm and that was that. Quick and simple, now for the long wait.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
gtmtnbiker98 said:
Well, I simply called UPS and arranged for a package pick-up. When the driver arrived at my door, he was advised that it was a firearm and that was that. Quick and simple, now for the long wait.
I personally wouldn't want the driver to know. To many guns have gone missing.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
choochboost said:
[quote name='gtmtnbiker98']Well, I simply called UPS and arranged for a package pick-up. When the driver arrived at my door, he was advised that it was a firearm and that was that. Quick and simple, now for the long wait.
I personally wouldn't want the driver to know. To many guns have gone missing.[/quote]

If you check UPS regs and S&W instructions I believe you will find notifying the driver or person the package is given too at UPS that it is a gun is mandatory. There should not be any notes on the package stating what it is however. S&W included appropriate instructions with the return lables sent to me and I simply complied with their stated process. You do not have to take it to a UPS Hub, it can be given to any UPS driver. You can also call UPS for home pickup. If your problem is not Magazine related I reccomend not sending Mag's with the gun as stated in the S&W Manual. There seems to be a tendency to not return mags or return the wrong type. I got a 10 rounder in place of a 17 and had to argue vigorously to obtain correction.

Good luck

:twisted:

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I tell the person at the hub when I ship, in compliance with their policies, but I wouldn't be comfortable telling the actual driver himself.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, luckly for me the driver is a neighbor who lives down the road. He wouldn't get too far if the package came up missing but that is a moot point. Called S&W today and they have the pistol in repair as I type this and they've had it for a total of six business days. Hopefully I won't have to wait too much longer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts