MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone broken the vials that hold the tritium gas in the night sights? Just curious....I have brass punches, but after reading lots of posts which talk about how tight the sights are in the slide, and the fact that the vials ARE made of glass, I have a little concern about breaking them. It sounds like you really have to wail on them to get them to go in. Anyone ever have any problems? Thanks.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Don't know about safety, but I heard it's recommended that if you were to break a vial, you should go out and drink a lot of beer. I think the idea is to get yourself slightly toasty so you no longer care about the dose of radiation you're getting from the Tritium, though they cover that by telling you it's to help flush your system faster. I'd rather be lit and not worry about it than sitting idly by thinking about what kinds of things the health insurance isn't going to cover in my near future.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
They are glass faced aluminum tubes encased in steel. But IMHO it's far better to either invest $100 in a sight pusher that you'll be able use again and again forever, or just pay a Gunsmith $25 to do it for you.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I've got a couple guns with night sights. I've never installed them myself but after the last gunsmith I just might start doing it myself. He beat the heck outta the sights but the bulbs are still there and still good. Also that thing about tritium being that dangerous is serious bull. If it was there is no way the NRC would allow it to be purchased. That story you were told is probably related to things made >40 years ago (Tritium was in a lot of stuff and at very high levels). I'd still go drink a beer because I'd be upset about wasting $100.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fire1 said:
That story you were told is probably related to things made >40 years ago (Tritium was in a lot of stuff and at very high levels). I'd still go drink a beer because I'd be upset about wasting $100.

Actually, breaking a set of $100 sights is all that I was concerned about....and I'd probably drink more than just one beer, heh. It might be worth building a jig to press them in with.

And, I haven't heard any horror stories about tritium, but I doubt anything good could come from releasing something that glows on it's own.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
The amount of radioactive gas in a tritium night sight vial is so small that if you broke open 1,000 of them and inhaled the gas, it might be as dangerous as having an x-ray of your chest. It's just a really, really, really tiny bit of gas.

The tubes are well protected and fairly durable, but they can break. Also, at least for a while, Trijicon was having an issue with the vials coming out of the sights. I don't think the problem was widespread and most of the instances were during high-volume shooting when the gun was allowed to get very hot. Other brands have suffered the same problem from time to time, often in much higher numbers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
file first, test fit, go slow, when it just begins to move into the dovetail, then punch (cover with tape) and hammer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts