MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A LE firearms instructor on Glocktalk says that the MP mags weren't that durable duringg drills, i.e. mags crapping out after hitting the ground etc. Can any competition shooters out there verify or dispute this?

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
nikon777 said:
A LE firearms instructor on Glocktalk says that the MP mags weren't that durable duringg drills, i.e. mags crapping out after hitting the ground etc. Can any competition shooters out there verify or dispute this?

Anything is possible, but I'd certainly like to see some additional information before judging whether this is a legitimate complaint. What kind of testing? What is meant by "crapping out?"

I'm just shy of 9,000 rounds through my M&P9 at this point, including countless reload drills. Between live- and dry-fire, I've dropped my mags on grass, stone, concrete, sand, wood, and plastic without any damage or diminished functionality. Nor have I heard or seen any reports of breakage or problems caused by the mags being dropped.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ToddG said:
[quote name='nikon777']A LE firearms instructor on Glocktalk says that the MP mags weren't that durable duringg drills, i.e. mags crapping out after hitting the ground etc. Can any competition shooters out there verify or dispute this?

Anything is possible, but I'd certainly like to see some additional information before judging whether this is a legitimate complaint. What kind of testing? What is meant by "crapping out?"

I'm just shy of 9,000 rounds through my M&P9 at this point, including countless reload drills. Between live- and dry-fire, I've dropped my mags on grass, stone, concrete, sand, wood, and plastic without any damage or diminished functionality. Nor have I heard or seen any reports of breakage or problems caused by the mags being dropped.[/quote]

Good to hear Todd.

heres the post.. http://glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p...amp;postcount=1

·
Registered
937 Posts
I'm not sure how much that "instructor" actually knows, but aren't the glock mags plastic? As in ALL PLASTIC? I can see where maybe the lip on the base-plate of Smith mags can crack or break, or cause the entire plate to crack, but I've never heard of one breaking in normal, or even comp usage. I've been to IDPA locals 4 times, and while that doesn't qualify as a torture test, dropping mags onto a concrete floor is hard on them, and mine are just fine. Sounds like another glock-fan "proving his point".

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
There have been a couple members here report that their mags detonated after dropping them on cement. It's hasn't been many and its been a long time since I've seen it posted.

I ran my M&P in a local IPSA match down at Blackwater and the plastic base plate did get 'chipped' a little but it's nothing to worry about.

All-in-all I'd say that the "instructor" probably saw one mag fail, didn't bother to find out why, and ran around the internet blowing it out of proportion.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I am very rough with my mags, especially during USPSA competitions.

Dropping on concrete, rocks, in mud, in sand, in water, etc. Sometimes when they hit concrete they are partially full of ammo. Sometimes they are kicked and stepped on. I have to yet to experience any failure or damage to a mag. I shoot with other people that are doing the same thing; and they have yet to vocalize any problems.

I have experienced some surface rust on my mags that had scratches on the finish. But this was only after sweating on them all day at a match; and then neglecting to take care of them afterwords. Totally my fault.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have heard of issues with the 10 round mags. Several people have reported them breaking/cracking where the large plastic base/spacer join the metal. A search of the forum should show them again. It was a Canadian person that was complaining because they could only use the 10 round mags in competition there.

I have not heard of this issue with any of the large capacity magazines

MI_Jester

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've shot several IDPA matches with my M&P .40, dropping mags in rain (mud) and on hard, rocky surfaces in 110 degree heat. No problems yet.

I am also one of those people that when I fill my mags (10 rounders), I slap the back side of them against something sturdy to make sure all rounds are seated all the way back in the mag.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I use my M&P 40 in competition. Twice a month, it's indoors with concrete floors. Twice a month outdoors. Once on gravel, once on sand.

Figure an average of 1.5 mag changes a stage for indoors, 4 stages a match, 2 matches a month, been doing it for about 16 months now. So guestimate about 192 trips to the conrete. Average is probably 4 rounds still in the mag just form the constraints we have to operate under designing stages for an indoor range.

Probably about 210-220 drops onto gravel probably about 150-175 times onto sand. Average rounds left in mag probably about 2.

Probably about 300 drops onto a concrete floor covered with worn out office carpeting with two dummy rounds in the mag.

Some of them have been stepped on several times.

I have seven magazines in rotation sucking up all of the above.

Most have minor cosmetic damage to the plastic floorplate. A couple are devloping hairline cracks in the grooves that the mag body slides into that may fail at some point when they land just right, but they have a while to go before that from seeing how other mags with plastic floor plates lasted.

From http://www.glockworld.com/et_al.htm

" Speed Unload: The tendancy of Glocks to lose their mag floor plate when dropped, and to unload their rounds into the dirt. (UOPHock)"

At least around here, glocks are notorious for shedding their floorplates. Not that you can't prevent it from happening, but it is maintenance. Plastic floorplates WILL wear out. Glocks are no exception. Anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't shot their glock enough.

The only floorplates I haven't seen fail are metal ones, and most of them of a design that will happily slice your hand up if you get too enthusiastic on the reload, or are wleded in place.

Only plastic floorplate i have never seen fail are the ones on the chip mccormick 10 round powermags in .45.

·
Site Staff
9,615 Posts
Some people on the Glock forums just love to bash the M&P, this tends to make them look a bit insecure, they might need a new security blanket!

·
Registered
308 Posts
G56 said:
Some people on the Glock forums just love to bash the M&P, this tends to make them look a bit insecure, they might need a new security blanket!

+1...and I own a G36???

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Well, pardon me while I rant but it's hard for me to take reports like this seriously when they come from anonymous people on the internet. Now, for all I know, "SPDSNYPR" is a very experienced and squared away guy. But I'm not going to assume so. Industry professionals, trainers, and other people who want to hold themselves out as any kind of authority on forums really shouldn't hide behind screen names imho. End users, hobbyists, all sorts of normal folks ... sure. But folks who are part of the industry? It's just wrong.

It's quite clear that "SPDSNYPR" is a Glock fan and the post was about how Glocks are cool and everything else sucks. What's even better, his attack on the M&P mags wasn't even based on this class he's allegedly watching ... he just added that in as an aside for our benefit.

The M&P has certainly experienced some issues since it's been on the market. But a quick search of this forum should show you that broken magazines have not been reported.

As G56 said, it's an ego problem with some folks. They can't accept that other brands are good, too.

·
Registered
112 Posts
but aren't the glock mags plastic? As in ALL PLASTIC?

Mine was old but the mags were plastic on the outside with a metal liner or sorts inside. You could see the metal in the holes to tell you how many rounds were in it. The "lips" of the mags were metal as I remember too.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Very early Glock magazines were just plastic. Then they started putting metal liners in them to keep them from getting stuck in the magazine well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I dunno. One of the firearms instructors at my agency is the guy who first got me into the M&P pistols. He is also a team leader on our tactical response team (SWAT) and was a competitive pistol shooter in the US Army. The two of us have done quite a bit of shooting together and we were both huge fanboy's of H&K USP's (although our agency issues Sig Sauer P220 .45's).

He bought an M&P and had been shooting the heck out of it for a few months when he started telling me how great the gun is. I ended up buying the .40 fullsize and couldn't be happier.

I know for a fact that the mags do not fall apart or "crap-out" when being dropped as we practice tactical as well as emergency reload drills on the range and the M&P mags fare just as well as any other mags have (No problems).

I realize that I am just another poster on an anonymous internet forum and that the validity of my posts holds no more credability than those from any other poster to those who don't know me in the real-world. But, I also suspect that a lot of these folks who boast of their credentials but won't state what agency/branch/unit etc. that they work for are exaggerating at best (or lying at the worst).

I know for fact that myself and the range instructor I mentioned in this post have hung up our H&K USP's in favor of the M&P. Your experiences may be different as may those of the "range instructor" on that other forum who posted the criticism's. I would strongly suggest hitting the range and testing the design for yourself. That's the only way to be sure.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I whipped a mag at a platerack after a course of fire.

It hit the metal leg going about 50mph. It was fine, but the RO wasnt. :wink:

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
ToddG said:
...Industry professionals, trainers, and other people who want to hold themselves out as any kind of authority on forums really shouldn't hide behind screen names imho...

I partly agree.

But, you have to be very careful using schemas like that.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
YukonGlocker said:
But, you have to be very careful using schemas like that.

I don't think forum moderators should mandate it, necessarily. But anonymous people posting hearsay seem to influence a sadly significant number of inexperienced shooters. It's also pretty well known in the industry that certain companies, shall we say, send anonymous agents provocateur to competitors' forums for the purpose of spreading exaggerated or untrue stories.

As with anything else on the internet, just take what you read on gun forums with a small dash of salt and some critical analysis before jumping in headfirst to someone's claims.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I agree. Internet forums are a totally different place when everyone has to use their real name.

Unfortunately, that is not how most forums work. All you can do is get in there and try to find the people you can trust. Usually on gun forums the experts will weed out the posers when it comes to posting BS about guns. A poser might get in a few BS posts; but the people with knowledge will call them on it every time.

I'm actually starting some psychological/social research examining these exact issues.

I can't go into details here, but it pertains to these on the internet:

-Personalities

-Traits

-Self

-Social influences (or lack of)

-And other stuff that I don't want to discuss here

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I know at least one firearms/LE/Military/tactical forum where members go by their real names as opposed to screen names in order to combat some of these concerns.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts