MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Inside or outside the waistband and what holster you use?
(Just added this ->)I live in Illinois and I'm taking a Concealed Carry Class soon .The class info says I need....
A strong side holster that covers the trigger (no shoulder, small of the back or pocket holster allowed) ...

Just bought a Bianchi 101 Foldaway #16 Outside The Waistband Holster ... doesn't look like it would hold my 9mm shield too securely.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Weather in Maine is just nuts. During the course of the year we can go from -30°F to 100° and I just don't want to play the "Where is the gun today?" game. So over a decade ago I switched from on body carry to off body carry using a Maxpedition Fatboy. Now no matter what the weather is the handgun is always found in the same place. No more under a parka and try to dig it out if it should be needed, or getting caught wearing too much clothing when the day warms up, that can't be removed, unless I want to open carry. There are times when I carry a much smaller handgun (SIG 938) using an OTW kydex holster, but those times are quite rare.

When I was playing the "Where is it today?" game fulltime I would use an OTW holster in the 4 O'clock position. Or a quality shoulder holster. The 938 is still carried in the 4:00 position on those rare occasions when it's called on.

Reactions: Clang

·
Registered
16 Posts
You're right the Bianchi Foldaway isn't a good holster, and neither is the Maxpedition Fatboy... The Bianchi Foldaway doesn't lock the pistol in place and it can fall out easy enough... The Maxpedition Fatboy is too much like a over the shoulder cross body purse that because worn outside of your large coat on winter cold days, can be snatched from your control. There are very good holsters out there for keeping your firearm where it should be, and that is on you and not easily separated from you. Do a google search for M&P Shield OWB or IWB holsters, and both leather and kydex will be shown.

Of course if this is the way you want to carry, be my guest....it's your pistol.

·
Registered
40 Posts
In the last 6 months I've changed from IWB 3:30 ish 1911 which conceal nicely under a polo shirt to AIWB to be able to carry a 4.25 M&P with an extra mag as I felt I need more that 9 rounds in loaded pistol at the same time I went from iron sites to a RDS. I tried to carry the M&P IWB but the grip print horribly on the side.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I usually carry OWB with a shirt or T-shirt over the gun. I like the DeSantis 3-slot Thumb breaks shown below. They have a tension adjustment and with 3 slots you can adjust the cant. They are very good quality, but you can find them on Amazon in the $40~ range. I also have a D.M. Bullard shown with my 40C It’s a dual carry (IWB or OWB), very good quality, but runs about $100. I don’t use it much because it doesn’t have a thumb break, that’s pretty much a requirement for me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for all your suggestions.
I'm taking a Concealed Carry Class soon and they say I need....
A strong side holster that covers the trigger (no shoulder, small of the back or pocket holster allowed) ...
So it look like I'll need a owb holster.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I use a Galco Combat Master OWB for my Shield under an untucked shirt or jacket. I recently bought a Desantis Speed Scabbard for my Glock 48. I don't like it quite as much as the Combat Master but it is a pretty good holster.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Depends, S&W 38 has a grip notch, fits nicely inside my pants at 3-4 o'clock. Shields and Bodyguard have a clip on slide that goes inside the waist band. Rides good also. LCP just goes in pocket. Others go in a paddle if I have a jacket. Shoulder holsters work also for full size. 300 blk out fits in a back pack.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Thanks for all your suggestions.
I'm taking a CC class soon and they say I need....
So it look like I'll need a owb holster.
By far the best for training and all around carry, though I don’t know if “CC class” qualifies as training. No offense meant, it’s just a pretty vague class name.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
By far the best for training and all around carry, though I don’t know if “CC class” qualifies as training. No offense meant, it’s just a pretty vague class name.
Concealed Carry Class in Illinois is what I'm taking soon.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
That’s what I’m having trouble with; discerning just what the training will cover in a “CC Class.” Down here, it’s a review of applicable Florida Laws governing concealed carry and the use of deadly force, and participants receive all paperwork/forms necessary to apply for a CCW license. No real firearms training at all.

For example, some of the courses I’ve taken like Threat Focused Pistol (TFP), Hand-to-Hand and Blade Training, Quick Kill Rifle, TFP Force-on-Force, provide some indication of the skills covered.

·
Registered
332 Posts
That’s what I’m having trouble with; discerning just what the training will cover in a “CC Class.”
These might help.

Not many of these permit classes are going to help with shooting training.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
These might help.

Not many of these permit classes are going to help with shooting training.
That’s been my observation, as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Having recently seen a photo from an individual who while re-holstering discharged one into his leg, and the bullet is still at his ankle, always remember trigger discipline in keeping your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot. He will heal but it will take a long while, it could have ended much differently for him. I know many of us have a vast array of holsters over the years.. no matter from leather to kydex and what is comfortable to you. Buy something that locks your pistol in place, that is molded for the model you carry. I actually handled the Bianchi 101 Foldaway #16 Outside The Waistband Holster that you asked about yesterday at a local LGS, it is probably the worst holster that Bianchi has ever made. Get something that fully protects your pistol, pretty much like ToolMaker posted... I know they're not cheap, but "buy once, cry once"

Be safe and have fun.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I mainly pocket carry my 32 in a desantis or off body carry my m&p 9c or sd9 in a holster in my jacket for colder climate. I also carry small of back which nobody really likes but me since I really cant stand iwb at the 8 to 11 position. When I compete it’s owb which is comfy when I’m wearing a belt just don’t like to wear one much and paddle holsters don’t feel right to me. My next will be probably alien gear next and get the module for all my different guns

Reactions: Clang

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looking at a lot of holsters lately and leaning towards a leather iwb one. Look like I need something for the extra mags. I returned that Bianchi already .

·
Registered
21 Posts
I carry an M&P Shield in a DeSantis SlimTuck IWB on my hip. With my build it stays out of the way walking and sitting, unlike appendix carry. I also use the thumb safety when handling the gun and usually just unclip the gun and holster as a unit at night. You definitely need to wear a tucked in undershirt because there is no sweat guard. I have OWB holsters for my full size pistols but those are more for open carry.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts