MP-Pistol Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
There is no end all be all brand that meets all needs and requirements. Get what you need for your class. From that, you'll determine what you need and what makes sense for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Inside or outside the waistband and what holster you use?
(Just added this ->)I live in Illinois and I'm taking a Concealed Carry Class soon .The class info says I need....
A strong side holster that covers the trigger (no shoulder, small of the back or pocket holster allowed) ...

Just bought a Bianchi 101 Foldaway #16 Outside The Waistband Holster ... doesn't look like it would hold my 9mm shield too securely.
Inside or outside the waistband and what holster you use?
(Just added this ->)I live in Illinois and I'm taking a Concealed Carry Class soon .The class info says I need....
A strong side holster that covers the trigger (no shoulder, small of the back or pocket holster allowed) ...

Just bought a Bianchi 101 Foldaway #16 Outside The Waistband Holster ... doesn't look like it would hold my 9mm shield too securely.
While I prefer OWB carry, I invariably go to IWB more often due to convenience, easy on/easy off. I live in Southeast Texas where it is very hot for 8 months out of the year. For IWB, I carry a full size (4.25") M&P 2.0 in a Comp-Tac Infidel Max IWB kydex holster at 4:00 position using a Comp-Tac leather gun belt which is also reinforced internally with kydex. If OWB, I use a Bravo Concealment modular holster with the pancake loops for a closer fit. I use a certain brand of golf shirt that works for my body.....it's very loose and conceals everything but does not look like I am wearing a trash bag either. I have practiced a fair amount with both set-ups on the clock. There a pros and cons to both. The IWB conceals a lot better and is extremely convenient, but the trade off (and it is big one) is the forming of the grip on the draw stroke. It can sometimes take a little longer to find and form the foundation of the grip with IWB especially if the gun has shifted in any way. The draw with the OWB is superior. But, both can work just fine with repetition practice. Good luck in your CCH class.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My working philosophy of life includes the KISS formula, so I have just a few basic firearms and try to be familiar with them all. That noted, what I carry depends on the plan for the day.

Business dress with a coat that will stay on, casual summer, or wintertime carry that allows it? Shield 9.

Summer business attire (i.e., no coat) with shirt tucked in? Ruger LCP.

For carrying the Shield, an Alien Gear Cloak Tuck (IWB). It's all day comfortable, and the "clicked-in" security of the Kydex is such that after the initial shirt-tucking and such I don't notice the weapon.

For the LCP, an old Blackhawk size 1. It fits easily in the inside chest pocket of a blazer or dress coat, or in a pants pocket.

As an aside, you are in the class and already shopping holsters. Perhaps you should view the firearm proper as the purchase of the "starter kit?" 😆

21 - 29 of 29 Posts