MP-Pistol Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
There is no end all be all brand that meets all needs and requirements. Get what you need for your class. From that, you'll determine what you need and what makes sense for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Inside or outside the waistband and what holster you use?
(Just added this ->)I live in Illinois and I'm taking a Concealed Carry Class soon .The class info says I need....
A strong side holster that covers the trigger (no shoulder, small of the back or pocket holster allowed) ...

Just bought a Bianchi 101 Foldaway #16 Outside The Waistband Holster ... doesn't look like it would hold my 9mm shield too securely.
Inside or outside the waistband and what holster you use?
(Just added this ->)I live in Illinois and I'm taking a Concealed Carry Class soon .The class info says I need....
A strong side holster that covers the trigger (no shoulder, small of the back or pocket holster allowed) ...

Just bought a Bianchi 101 Foldaway #16 Outside The Waistband Holster ... doesn't look like it would hold my 9mm shield too securely.
While I prefer OWB carry, I invariably go to IWB more often due to convenience, easy on/easy off. I live in Southeast Texas where it is very hot for 8 months out of the year. For IWB, I carry a full size (4.25") M&P 2.0 in a Comp-Tac Infidel Max IWB kydex holster at 4:00 position using a Comp-Tac leather gun belt which is also reinforced internally with kydex. If OWB, I use a Bravo Concealment modular holster with the pancake loops for a closer fit. I use a certain brand of golf shirt that works for my body.....it's very loose and conceals everything but does not look like I am wearing a trash bag either. I have practiced a fair amount with both set-ups on the clock. There a pros and cons to both. The IWB conceals a lot better and is extremely convenient, but the trade off (and it is big one) is the forming of the grip on the draw stroke. It can sometimes take a little longer to find and form the foundation of the grip with IWB especially if the gun has shifted in any way. The draw with the OWB is superior. But, both can work just fine with repetition practice. Good luck in your CCH class.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My working philosophy of life includes the KISS formula, so I have just a few basic firearms and try to be familiar with them all. That noted, what I carry depends on the plan for the day.

Business dress with a coat that will stay on, casual summer, or wintertime carry that allows it? Shield 9.

Summer business attire (i.e., no coat) with shirt tucked in? Ruger LCP.

For carrying the Shield, an Alien Gear Cloak Tuck (IWB). It's all day comfortable, and the "clicked-in" security of the Kydex is such that after the initial shirt-tucking and such I don't notice the weapon.

For the LCP, an old Blackhawk size 1. It fits easily in the inside chest pocket of a blazer or dress coat, or in a pants pocket.

As an aside, you are in the class and already shopping holsters. Perhaps you should view the firearm proper as the purchase of the "starter kit?" 😆

Reactions: Chris L

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
My EDC for the last three months has been my 9mm Wilson Professional in a Brommeland Gunleather Max-Con V IWB. I load it 10+1 plus two 10 round reloads in second gen Wilson Combat ETM mags.

I shoot the pistol weekly in IDPA practice.

D98C9EFB-3CCF-46AF-BBDA-12511CDBE8DF.jpeg

·
Registered
8 Posts
My EDC and IDPA gun. 4.25” 2.0 in a Comp-Tac Infidel IWB. Has worked very well for me. Typically carry with 2 extra mags on side

0148BE22-53C8-4524-9155-1137736973EE.jpeg

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Hey thanks for all your help. I ended up getting a Crossbreed minituck iwb holster and Houston Double Mag holder. Now just waiting for the Illinois state police to approve my concealed carry license...........😱

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just bought my 9mm EZ and purchased 2 holsters; 1 OWB and 1 IWB. I got the OWB a few days ago and it seems good (Concealment Express), nothing fancy. The IWB is supposed to come Saturday (We the People). I am wondering how the IWB will feel. Prior to the 9mm EZ I carried a LCR357 in the pocket for a while but mostly carried the LCPII in my pocket or IWB. It's very small compared to the 9 mm.

I like the OWB for the 9mm and although it is heavier, it is very manageable - comfortable. I will let you know if I like the IWB after Saturday.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I though I read it was near impossible to get a concealed carry permit in Illinois. Not true?

·
Registered
386 Posts
I though I read it was near impossible to get a concealed carry permit in Illinois. Not true?
The last half dozen or so years they have been issuing them to their residents.

They still don't honor many, if any, permits from other states (reciprocity) though.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The last half dozen or so years they have been issuing them to their residents.

They still don't honor many, if any, permits from other states (reciprocity) though.
Yes, I know they don't. I am in Indiana and avoid going through Illinois whenever possible. I have been hoping for national reciprocity for years, just like drivers licenses.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Yes, I know they don't. I am in Indiana and avoid going through Illinois whenever possible. I have been hoping for national reciprocity for years, just like drivers licenses.
I agree on the national reciprocity, that would be grear. I'm north of you in MI, our permit was valid in 39 states the last time I looked, so I'm thankful for that.

We own a small trucking company so I look at it as the USA stops at PA going east and the left coast is not there either, that only leaves IL as a place to avoid. That keeps all our drivers safer looking at it that way.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts