MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the only kind of hunting I have ever done was in Iraq and that is illegal in the U.S.
I am looking forward to my very 1st hunting season I am in the middle of looking for a great Deer gun I think I am going to go with the Browning A-bolt 30-06 any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
269 Posts
I picked up one of the newer Remington 710s

It is a lower priced entry level gun as I have to travel out of state to hunt with a rifle. If I were to splurge, I'd probably get a model 700 as I've always been a Remington fan

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
The browning will be a great rifle. As machgt said the remingtons are also a great rifel. I had a 742 woodsmaster coustom deluxe with a 3 by 9 redfeild that was a killer with 155 gr.pointed soft points. you cant go wrong with either one imho

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Rem 700 in 308.

That way if you change your mind about hunting you have a great start on a long range tactical rifle.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I deer hunt with a simple Remington Model 700 with the synthetic stock. Its not too expensive and shoots great. The browning A-Bolt is also a great gun. It just depends on how much you want to spend.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'm in the same boat right now.

What are your opinions on the Tikka T3?

Also should I get 30-06 or .308?

This will be my first rifle and I only have plans to use it for deer.

Any thoughts are appreciated

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Dan Burwell said:
Rem 700 in 308.

That way if you change your mind about hunting you have a great start on a long range tactical rifle.

I agree, but I am more a Savage Arms guy, but same concept as what Dan had said.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another Minnesotan

If you get info I am not mad, especially if your from MN I was born and raised in Mankato, I have family spread out everywhere go vikings!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Re: Another Minnesotan

101Combat Vet said:
If you get info I am not mad, especially if your from MN I was born and raised in Mankato, I have family spread out everywhere go vikings!!

Well why did you leave??? :wink:

Thanks . I have friends in grad school down in Mankato. I live in Savage (between Burnsville and Shakopee)

At this rate I'd say Go Twins rather than Vikings...fair weather fan here :wink:

Best

·
Registered
69 Posts
Personally, I love my Ruger M77, .30-06 that was given to me by my pop. I like the .30-06 because you can feed it a 150 grain round for deer, then, once it's skinned and hung, pop in a 180 grain to go get your elk! The .30-06 hasn't been popular for over 100 years for nothing! My guess is that it's probably the most popular hunting caliber out there. At least IMHO.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
ParkPopo said:
Personally, I love my Ruger M77, .30-06 that was given to me by my pop. I like the .30-06 because you can feed it a 150 grain round for deer, then, once it's skinned and hung, pop in a 180 grain to go get your elk! The .30-06 hasn't been popular for over 100 years for nothing! My guess is that it's probably the most popular hunting caliber out there. At least IMHO.

Multitasking at its best.... :wink:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Browning is my gun of choice when it comes to hunting guns. They are a bit more pricey but well worth it in my opinion. I have a lever action .22 and a BPS Upland Special 12 gauge. The 12 gauge was my first gun and it's still in awesome shape like the day I bought it. Hands down the best hunting gunsI've ever handled. Both are very, very nice. Everything just feels a bit tighter, a bit better. Also, when I buy a gun I don't mind spending a bit more to avoid the "need to upgrade" feel later on. I buy guns that I feel will last me a lifetime and have no intention of ever selling so it's worth it to me to spend a bit more dough to buy a Browning. I've never handled a 30-06 browning but I'd anticipate nothing but the best.

Check out Reed's Sporting Goods www.reedssports.com for pretty good prices on Browning guns if you want to make an internet purchase. Actually, come to think of it, they're in Minnesota so you might even be close enough to them to check them out in person.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanx for the info

I appreciate every ones help I am looking at the remington 700 .308 now its easier on the wallet and looks real nice. I am from MN I am currently in the Army stationed in Northern GA. My Aunt teaches outside shakopee, my other aunt cuts hair in burnsville I cannot wait until I go back for leave I miss it so much!!! By the way the vikings did pretty decent in the draft a lot better without old timer Brad Johnson in the way. When i was on leave from Iraq I saw my first game in person my wife and I saw them beat the lions at the dome it was great!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Your choice of the Remington 700 in .308 is excellent. If you come back to Minnesota to hunt whitetails in the north woods, you might want to select a heavy bullet weight that might plow through the brush better than faster, lighter bullets. Naturally, the venerable Winchester 94 in 30-30 did that job for thousands of Minnesota hunters over the years. As a Minnesota resident myself, I never hunted deer here with a rifle. In the early sixties in South Dakota, I did a lot of open prairie shooting with a Winchester Model 70 featherweight in .243 and it was more than enough for deer and pronghorns. But I like your choice of the .308.

I spent 10 weeks in Georgia myself in 1954-55 for MP training at Camp Gordon (now Fort Gordon) near Augusta but never did active duty as an MP. I closely follow our hometown sports teams as well and will be watching the Twins-Milwaukee inter league game in about 45 minutes. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
78 Posts

Wow, You have family really close. Well if you want to go to the range when you're up here again, feel free to PM me and let me know. Nice choice on the riflfe BTW. I still can't decide between .308 and 30-06.

Best

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
no subject

well when I get out of the military i will be moving back up north and i will be looking for a shooting buddy!!!! will keep in touch and next time i am up there we will have to link up

1 - 16 of 16 Posts