MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using hydra-shock bullets as my protection rounds I have heard a little about them and am wondering if anyone would reccomend them or throw them away??

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
outdated, golddots, rangers or I'm sure doc will suggest something

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Here are Doc's recommended loads:

The following loads all demonstrate outstanding terminal performance and can be considered acceptable for duty/self-defense use:

9 mm:

Barnes XPB 105 & 115 gr JHP (copper bullet)

Federal Tactical 124 gr JHP (LE9T1)

Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P JHP

Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)

Winchester Partition Gold 124 gr JHP (RA91P)

Winchester Ranger-T 127 gr +P+ JHP (RA9TA)

Federal Tactical 135 gr +P JHP (LE9T5)

Federal HST 147 gr JHP (P9HST2)

Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP (GS9MMC)

Speer Gold Dot 147 gr JHP

Winchester Ranger-T 147 gr JHP (RA9T)

.40 S&W:

Barnes XPB 140 & 155 gr JHP (copper bullet)

Speer Gold Dot 155 gr JHP

Federal Tactical 165 gr JHP (LE40T3)

Winchester Ranger-T 165 gr JHP (RA40TA)

Winchester Partition Gold 165 gr JHP (RA401P)

Federal HST 180 gr JHP (P40HST1)

Federal Tactical 180 gr JHP (LE40T1)

Remington Golden Saber 180 gr JHP (GS40SWB)

Speer Gold Dot 180 gr JHP

Winchester Ranger-T 180 gr JHP (RA40T)

.45 ACP:

Barnes XPB 185 gr JHP (copper bullet)

Federal HST 230 gr +P JHP (P45HST1)

Federal Tactical 230 gr JHP (LE45T1)

Speer Gold Dot 230 gr JHP

Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr JHP (RA45T)

Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr +P JHP (RA45TP)

Notes:

-- Obviously, clone loads using the same bullet at the same velocity work equally well (ie. Black Hills ammo using Gold Dot bullets, Corbon loads using Barnes XPB bullets, etc…)

-- Bullet designs like the Silver Tip, Hydra-Shok, and Black Talon were state of the art 10 or 15 years ago. Modern ammunition which has been designed for robust expansion against clothing and intermediate barriers is significantly superior to the older designs. The bullets in the Federal Classic and Hydrashok line are outperformed by other ATK products such as the Federal Tactical and HST, as well as the Speer Gold Dot; likewise Winchester Ranger Talons are far superior to the old Black Talons or civilian SXT's.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanx

I will take note and start my new shopping list!!

·
Registered
514 Posts
101Combat Vet said:
I have been using hydra-shock bullets as my protection rounds I have heard a little about them and am wondering if anyone would reccomend them or throw them away??
I think you should throw them my way if you don't want them. :wink:

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
crazypilot said:
[quote name='101Combat Vet']I have been using hydra-shock bullets as my protection rounds I have heard a little about them and am wondering if anyone would reccomend them or throw them away??
I think you should throw them my way if you don't want them. :wink:
.[/quote]

Or you could send to me, I'll shoot them, trust me... :wink:

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
might not be the new thing but a well placed hydrashok will do just fine.i carry 180s and i will say it again(shot placement is the key).the newest badest defensive round in the world does nothing with a miss

·
Registered
141 Posts
Are there recommendations somewhere from Doc for .357? I want something that's powerful enough but not just going to go straight through.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
tigs40cal said:
might not be the new thing but a well placed hydrashok will do just fine.i carry 180s and i will say it again(shot placement is the key).the newest badest defensive round in the world does nothing with a miss
So why not go for a well-placed shot with a round that has a better performance rep?

thedude said:
Are there recommendations somewhere from Doc for .357? I want something that's powerful enough but not just going to go straight through.
If you're talking about .357 SIG I believe the Gold Dot performed best in his tests. Go to the Terminal Effects forum at www.tacticalforums.com, use the search function and you should find something.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
choochboost said:
[quote name='tigs40cal']might not be the new thing but a well placed hydrashok will do just fine.i carry 180s and i will say it again(shot placement is the key).the newest badest defensive round in the world does nothing with a miss
So why not go for a well-placed shot with a round that has a better performance rep?

thedude said:
If you're talking about .357 SIG I believe the Gold Dot performed best in his tests. Go to the Terminal Effects forum at www.tacticalforums.com, use the search function and you should find something.[/quote]

great now between you and jester ive gota shoot all my hydrashoks at the range next week and buy new carry ammo

·
Site Staff
9,613 Posts
They might not be the very top of the line in self defense ammo, but they aren't bad.

Bullet placement is still the most important factor.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
G56 said:
They might not be the very top of the line in self defense ammo, but they aren't bad.

Bullet placement is still the most important factor.
I understand your point about placement, and I know you know this, but to say placement is most important is to still oversimplify it. Some shots can be placed well, but they may still fail to penetrate and incapacitate (FBI Miami shootout). Granted, under-penetration is not one of the criticisms of Hydra-shoks.

·
Registered
403 Posts
From what I've read Hydra-shoks work as good now as they did when they were popular years ago. BUT I think there are more reliable rounds out there. In .45 I really like the Hydra-Shoks, not so much in 9mm. I did do a wetpack test with some different types of ammo a while back and teh 135gr Hydrashok performed really well. I wouldn't hesitate to carry it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts