MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Personally, I think the German made Walther P99 (compact or standard) is the sleeper of all times. Owned by S&W now, the Walther is an exceptionally accurate and well-made pistol and you have S&W's excellent customer service to back it up. I am actually more accurate with the P99c (.40) than I am with my H&K P2000 (.40). And since the P99 has been around for a while, all the bugs (other than the isolates stuff that happens with any gun) have been worked out.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Man, I love how those look.. if I ever get a walther I will have to go with the bond .380 though

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The P99c is an incredibly accurate weapon. Same basic size as the Glock 27 but more accurate and feels so much better. I am tempted now to either get a f/s P99 or another compact in 9mm. I like this gun that much. German workmanship/precision, S&W after-market service (if needed), good price point, no repetitive bugs, total reliability, can change sights with no tools, what more can you ask for.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Great looking blaster. How does it feel in the hand? How's the trigger? What trigger design is it? (DA only, DA/SA, SA, striker?) What's the capacity? Inquiring minds want to know!

The new, small nine sounds appealing too...

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DHart said:
Great looking blaster. How does it feel in the hand? How's the trigger? What trigger design is it? (DA only, DA/SA, SA, striker?) What's the capacity? Inquiring minds want to know!

The new, small nine sounds appealing too...

DA/SA, internal striker fired Don. Standard mag holds 8+1. I love the feel and the trigger really smoothes out after 500 rounds or so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walther_P99

·
Registered
414 Posts
Have you had a chance to determine the difference in trigger between the AS and the QA variants? Looks like a great gun as does the new PPS! THis is exciting stuff... looks like there are great replacement options for my M&P 40C (no, I will be keeping my Glock 23 for sure!).

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DHart said:
Have you had a chance to determine the difference in trigger between the AS and the QA variants? Looks like a great gun as does the new PPS! THis is exciting stuff... looks like there are great replacement options for my M&P 40C (no, I will be keeping my Glock 23 for sure!).

As long as you mentioned it Don, This IS what I traded my M&Pc in for. I have not tried the QA variants but do like the AS very much. What amazes me about this gun, and I think it has something to do with the internal striker design, is how accurate it is. No hammer drop. I too have a Glock 23 and have no intention of getting rid of it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Kraigster...nice post. I'm just about the pick up the p99AS full or Comanct. You seem to know a good amount about this pistol, so I figured I'd ask you a few questions.

I like the all around size of the compact better then the full size, but the grip on the full size fits my hand a lot better, due to it's length.....but that attachment you have on your compact might solve my problem.

What can you tell me about it? Does the attachment make the grip feel the same as the full size? What about the seam where the attachment meets up with the bottom of the grip? Does that feel nice or awkward? Do you have any issues when inserting the mag? Anything you could tell me would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot,

Rob

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fallin said:
Kraigster...nice post. I'm just about the pick up the p99AS full or Comanct. You seem to know a good amount about this pistol, so I figured I'd ask you a few questions.

I like the all around size of the compact better then the full size, but the grip on the full size fits my hand a lot better, due to it's length.....but that attachment you have on your compact might solve my problem.

What can you tell me about it? Does the attachment make the grip feel the same as the full size? What about the seam where the attachment meets up with the bottom of the grip? Does that feel nice or awkward? Do you have any issues when inserting the mag? Anything you could tell me would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot,

Rob

Rob, I now have two P99 compacts and really like them a lot. It's a gun that has been around a while and all the kinks have been worked out though there is always the chance of an isolated glitch but no problems with mags dropping, weak mag catch springs, the kind of thing we are seeing with the M&P and it (the P99) is German made where QC is still job 1. The ability to swap out grip panels is a major plus. I have the small grip installed on both and it fits my hand perfectly. The decision to go with the standard or the compact is one only you can make. If your intent is to carry then the compact might be the better choice though just about any gun (unless it is a bazooka) will carry well and comfortably in the right holster with the right belt. Plus my range shooting is typically at short distances - under 15 yards so the compact is just fine. Keep in mind too that the P99 is an extremely accurate gun, whether it be the compact or the standard. And even in .40, the compact is very controllable for a gun this small - I actually prefer it to my P99c in 9mm. Another plus is the ease in installing sights. No sight pusher, special tools, no banging required. Adjusting the windage on the rear sight takes seconds and the gun comes with different front sight height inserts. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Kraigster,

Thanks for taking the time to provide some insight into the P99c. I appreciate the info. Perhaps I'm not using the correct terminology....but what I'm asking about is that polymer attachment that lengthens the bottom of your grip about another inch or so. Is that not an after market extra attachment?

When you have a moment, I'd really like to know what you think of it.....It's the one you show in your second pic of the pistol. When you have that attachment on a larger cap mag, does the grip on the P99c feel like the grip of the P99?

Thanks again,

Rob

Kraigster414 said:
[quote name='Fallin']Kraigster...nice post. I'm just about the pick up the p99AS full or Comanct. You seem to know a good amount about this pistol, so I figured I'd ask you a few questions.

Thanks a lot,

Rob

Rob, I now have two P99 compacts and really like them a lot. It's a gun that has been around a while and all the kinks have been worked out though there is always the chance of an isolated glitch but no problems with mags dropping, weak mag catch springs, the kind of thing we are seeing with the M&P and it (the P99) is German made where QC is still job 1. The ability to swap out grip panels is a major plus. I have the small grip installed on both and it fits my hand perfectly. The decision to go with the standard or the compact is one only you can make. If your intent is to carry then the compact might be the better choice though just about any gun (unless it is a bazooka) will carry well and comfortably in the right holster with the right belt. Plus my range shooting is typically at short distances - under 15 yards so the compact is just fine. Keep in mind too that the P99 is an extremely accurate gun, whether it be the compact or the standard. And even in .40, the compact is very controllable for a gun this small - I actually prefer it to my P99c in 9mm. Another plus is the ease in installing sights. No sight pusher, special tools, no banging required. Adjusting the windage on the rear sight takes seconds and the gun comes with different front sight height inserts. Hope this helps.[/quote]

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fallin said:
Hi Kraigster,

Thanks for taking the time to provide some insight into the P99c. I appreciate the info. Perhaps I'm not using the correct terminology....but what I'm asking about is that polymer attachment that lengthens the bottom of your grip about another inch or so. Is that not an after market extra attachment?

When you have a moment, I'd really like to know what you think of it.....It's the one you show in your second pic of the pistol. When you have that attachment on a larger cap mag, does the grip on the P99c feel like the grip of the P99?

Thanks again,

Rob

Sorry Rob, I tend to be a "speed reader" with other people's post. Unfortunately, comprehension sometimes suffers as a result. The extender works great on the P99c. It is an after-market purchase and while I don't recommend it for carry in the gun (adds quite a bit of length to the grip), it works great as second when all hell breaks loose magazine in your pocket or night stand.

[quote name='Kraigster414'][quote name='Fallin']Kraigster...nice post. I'm just about the pick up the p99AS full or Comanct. You seem to know a good amount about this pistol, so I figured I'd ask you a few questions.

Thanks a lot,

Rob

Rob, I now have two P99 compacts and really like them a lot. It's a gun that has been around a while and all the kinks have been worked out though there is always the chance of an isolated glitch but no problems with mags dropping, weak mag catch springs, the kind of thing we are seeing with the M&P and it (the P99) is German made where QC is still job 1. The ability to swap out grip panels is a major plus. I have the small grip installed on both and it fits my hand perfectly. The decision to go with the standard or the compact is one only you can make. If your intent is to carry then the compact might be the better choice though just about any gun (unless it is a bazooka) will carry well and comfortably in the right holster with the right belt. Plus my range shooting is typically at short distances - under 15 yards so the compact is just fine. Keep in mind too that the P99 is an extremely accurate gun, whether it be the compact or the standard. And even in .40, the compact is very controllable for a gun this small - I actually prefer it to my P99c in 9mm. Another plus is the ease in installing sights. No sight pusher, special tools, no banging required. Adjusting the windage on the rear sight takes seconds and the gun comes with different front sight height inserts. Hope this helps.[/quote][/quote]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts