MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But is there a trick to adjusting the rear sight left and right? I took the screw out and it would not budge. Then i took a rubber mallet and tried tapping it over still nothing? Am i not using enough force or is there something else?

Thanks

Adam

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
BFH is the only option... and a large punch.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Jesters got it. BFH and a properly sized punch. Use a playing card in between the punch and the sight so you don't (or minimize) any marring.

These babies don't move easy.

By the way. Are you sure the sights are off and not the shooter?

·
Registered
573 Posts
The gun also should be held in a sturdy vise.

A friend told me how he drifted his sights. I haven't tried this myself, so I don't know if it works...but be said to secure the brass punch in a vise, place the base of the sight on the punch, and tap the slide with a rubber mallet to move the sight.

The only "Stupid" questions are those that are never asked..........

·
Registered
168 Posts
Also note - I think I'm right about this - that the dovetail is tapered so that the sight will wedge tighter as it is moved left, looser as it moves right. This could be important depending on what you're trying to do.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Be carefull as a spring and other hardware is held in place by the sight. If you hit too hard it can all fly out and since it is very small become lost.

The M&P 9 sights I own were not all that tight. I used a set of soft jaws in my vise to hold the slide and purposely removed the sight by use of Brass Punch and small Ballpeen Hammer. I dissasemble all new guns to check for machining debri etc. which was not cleaned up at the factory. I found no debri so reassembled and reset the sight per caliper measurements taken prior to removal.

If slight adjustment is all you need pre measure sight position from a specific side and reference point then tap the sight over .005 or .010 inches then fire for effect. Subsequent adjustments can be made, if required, by calculating inch shift of impact per .001 inch movement of sight.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your M&P as much as I have mine. :mrgreen:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts