MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a new hiviz front sight and it arrived today. I guess I got too excited, removed the factory front sight (destroyed one brass punch) and started putting the new hiviz in (from ejection side - removed from left to right, installed from right to left as you look down the barrel). Well, I oiled it up, but did not file it down any. The brass punch squished the dovetail on the hiviz, and trying to remove it, I destroyed it. Oh well, I ordered another and filed down the old sight and put it back in. I did not realize the hiviz had a brass base!

Dog gone, why do they have to make them so Darn tight (I know, the recoil effect), but couldn't they just make them a little over sized so that they would fight good and tight.

When I get the new hiviz, I will file it down so that it goes in better.

By the way, I had to order a new set of brass punches as I destroyed them all trying to get the hiviz out.

Oh yeah, ordered a set of trijicons for an XD. Boy, am I NOT looking forward for them to arrive. I think I will ship it off and let a pro do it. Man, on my 1911's, screw in rears and drift with a hole drilled and a roll pin for the front - makes a lot more sense to me.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
A snug fit + a bit of locktite are my prefered fit.

You might want to invest in a sight pusher before tackling more.

:twisted:

·
Registered
660 Posts
I was thinking about installing my own night sights in my m&pc but after looking just a little harder I decided to get some professional help. It took a while to find a place that would do the job. Now two weeks later its ready for pick up. I can't wait to give them a try. Sorry about your hi-viz's.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wish gun makers could design an inexpensive easy sight system. I know milling a dovetail is the easiest cheapest way, and putting them in tight is the only way to insure against the sight falling out, but it makes it difficult for us goofey homespun doit yourselfers to get the job done.

A sight pusher is probably my answer, but at $100, i need to do more than one sight to justify the expense. Well, maybe, as I have 3 XD's and one M&P with possibly another on the way.

Its only money, right? Ah, but I must be a glutten for punishment. I guess I just enjoy frustrating myself (my wife asked me who I was cussing out in the garage and I told her it was my arch enemy - ME).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts