MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I haven't been around lately, but since graduating college the real world has kept me very busy. But last night was the first time i've ever had to use my M&P for defensive purposes. I will copy and paste the exact write up of events that I gave to the police as my statement because it is the most detailed account of what happened.

7:30pm: Left my job, Sparkle and Shine, and called Wing Zone to order dinner. I began to head south on Nova Road from Grenada (Hwy 40) to go to Wing Zone (3rd street and Nova Rd).

7:33pm: I am in the far left hand lane on Nova road. This section is a three lane road. A green Chevrolet S-10 pickup truck is making a U-Turn from the North bound lane, into the southbound lane. He pauses in the middle of my lane, and I am unsure if he sees me or not, so I flash my high beams at him. He moves into the far right hand lane just before I get to him, and as I pass him he gives me the middle finger. Soon after I pass him, he speeds up to my rear bumper. He tails me extremely close so I slow down. He stays right on my bumper, so much that it was nearly impossible to see his headlights. I applied the brakes, but he stayed right on my bumper. There other two lanes of traffic at this point in time, and he made no effort to pass me. I was going to move over, but I did not for 2 reasons. The first was that I could not see around his truck to tell if there were any cars in the middle lane, and the second was that we were approaching the intersection of Hand Avenue and Nova Rd, which was at a red light.

7:36pm: I pulled up to the stop light behind another car. There were two cars to my right hand side, and the man tailing me pulled up beside my vehicle in the left hand turn lane, leaving another car behind me. I was boxed in by all the traffic eliminating any escape route. As the man pulled up next to me in the left hand turn lane, he was yelling and cursing at me, I don’t remember anything specific he said. My windows were down, but my music was on and I believe his windows were up when he was yelling at me. I just gave him a weird look like I didn’t know why he was doing this to me. He stopped his truck beside my vehicle, and began to get out of his truck. As he did this I immediately felt threatened because I saw no reason he should be getting out of his car. I opened my glove box, and removed my firearm from it and placed it on my lap. As he was exiting his truck he was still cursing at me, but I yelled to him, “Sir! Please get back inside of your vehicle!” but he still approached. Once again I said, “Sir! Please get back inside of your vehicle; I feel threatened!”. But, he still approached my car. At this point, he is merely feet away from me, and he starts to reach for something with his right hand around his hip. He began to lift his shirt around his right hip, and was within reaching distance of me so I pulled up my firearm, aimed at him and said, “Sir! Get back inside of your vehicle!”. He looked at the gun, it took a moment for him to realize what it was it seemed, and then he lowered his hand and stepped back. Then he yelled at me, “ You pulled a gun on me! You’re going to jail mother licker!” and just yelled that over and over as he went back to his truck. I lowered my firearm and continued to watch him as he reached inside of his truck and pulled out his cell phone. I still don’t know what he was reaching for when he approached my vehicle. But he continued to yell at me the same phrase as he looked at my license plate and dialed a phone number. I assumed he was calling 911, but I just watched him. At this point the light turned green and I drove off. I watched him to make sure he didn’t’ follow me again.

7:43pm: At this point, I called 911 to report what just happened. I told the operator what just happened, and told her that I could meet an officer at the Volusia County Sheriffs office on 3rd street and Nova rd. I told her that the firearm would be cleared and locked in the glove box of my vehicle. As I pulled into the parking lot of the Sheriffs Station, I did just that. I ejected the magazine, cleared the weapon and placed it in my glove box. I locked it, turned on all interior lights, got out of the vehicle and put the keys in the door handle. I got out my driver’s license, and Concealed Carry Permit and waited for the officer away from the vehicle.

7:50pm: The sheriff showed up and asked me what happened. I explained it to him and he ran my ID’s. He came out of the car and said, “here ya go, if you want to do anything you have to go to the Ormond Beach Police Dept because this happened north of Hand Avenue”. He also informed me that no one had reported having a gun pulled on them that evening. The officer wasn’t exactly cooperative, and didn’t act very professional to me because he did not check me for the weapon, and he didn’t even check the vehicle, or clear the gun himself, or check to see if the gun was registered at all. He told me that I pulled a gun on someone over road rage, even after I tried to explain to him how threatened I felt, but his words were, “Tell it to the Grand Jury”, and he left me there. I don’t hold it against him, because I’m sure he has to deal with things like this all the time, but I wish he was a bit more cooperative.

8:00pm: At this point I go home (LPGA International golf course neighborhood) and call the Ormond Beach Police Headquarters to see what they wanted me to do. I got their automated phone message, which informed me that their hours of operation were from 6am to 6pm. Since I didn’t get a hold of anyone there, I decided to call my Concealed Carry Instructor, Raymond Shaw, to get his advisement on what to do. I told him the entire story, and he told me to write down everything that happened with as much detail as I remember. He also advised me to go down to the Ormond Beach police headquarters just in case someone was in the lobby.

9:00pm: I was still pretty shaken up from the entire incident so I waited for my girlfriend to get home and had her drive me to the Police HQ. We arrived there to find the lobby doors open, but no one at the front desk. All the lights were off, and I stood in there calling out to see if anyone was there, but got no response. After that we returned home.

11/07/2007

9:00 am: Drove to Ormond Beach police department and met with Officer Copello. I told him my story, and handed him a copy of this written statement. He said that I didn't everything correctly and was completely justified. He said he would have pulled the gun sooner, but no matter, I did the right thing. I signed the statement and wrote on it that it was all true to his knowledge. He also said that if anything does come of this, which he highly doubts it will, than I have taken every step to make sure that I was covered.

That Sheriff that I met on the night of the incident was very rude... And extremely uncooperative for an officer of the law, but like i said above... i can't really blame him.

I'm very glad the man didn't advance anymore, and when I think about the way he was acting, he very well may have been drunk or on some type of drugs to be acting like that over basically nothing. But all in all... I am SO happy I put my gun in my car every morning. I hope nothing like this ever happens again... I sure as hell never thought I'd have to use it for this purpose, but that is why I bought the gun and I am very glad I did.

So how was everyone else's Tuesday night? hahaha

-Cameron

·
Registered
123 Posts
Crazy story man.. What cal MP do you have?

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Cameron ... glad you're ok. From you're description it sounds like you only reacted when he made a gesture which could have been reaching for a weapon. The only thing I might suggest is that had I been in the same situation, the moment he started to get out of his car I'd have been on the phone with 911, describing him, what he was doing, what he was driving, and hopefully loud enough that he could hear me. Of course, if he was pissed/drunk/stupid enough to ignore that, too, he still would have ended up with a gun pointed at him.

The efforts you went to in order to contact the police afterwards are laudable and no doubt played a role in proving your innocence of wrong-doing.

In the end, the important thing is that no one -- especially you -- got hurt.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Good to hear you're okay. Unfortunately, we do have police officers who are "less than cooperative" and should not function in law enforcement. Hopefully, the vast majority are not as he was.

Cover your 6.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
WOW, I was doing alot worse driving than that bringing my daughter to the park tonight
I dont know how I wouldve acted but you did everything bye the books and you are breathing.
I am with the cop the minute that guy walked out of his car I see it as intent and have been in defense mode already. right on. BTW why is everytime you post its always something crazy could we get a good florida weather report :wink:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sof said:
Crazy story man.. What cal MP do you have?

9mm, fullsize, 18 rounds of hollow points loaded when I'm not at the range.

ToddG said:
Cameron ... glad you're ok. From you're description it sounds like you only reacted when he made a gesture which could have been reaching for a weapon. The only thing I might suggest is that had I been in the same situation, the moment he started to get out of his car I'd have been on the phone with 911, describing him, what he was doing, what he was driving, and hopefully loud enough that he could hear me. Of course, if he was pissed/drunk/stupid enough to ignore that, too, he still would have ended up with a gun pointed at him.

The efforts you went to in order to contact the police afterwards are laudable and no doubt played a role in proving your innocence of wrong-doing.

In the end, the important thing is that no one -- especially you -- got hurt.

Thanks a lot. The only reason I didn't call them immediately was because he came out of the truck fast. It wasn't like he got out, yelled at me from behind the truck, then approached me. He got out yelling and moving fast.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I don't come around here much... but I just read your post. amazing story. Thanks for sharing.

You did everything right... and I agree you wouldn't have had time to dial 911 on a Cell phone and talk to someone... maybe you could have dialed 911 and dropped the phone on the other seat... but that means you would have had to take your eyes off of this bozo to do it.

glad you are ok.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
101Combat Vet said:
WOW, I was doing alot worse driving than that bringing my daughter to the park tonight
I dont know how I wouldve acted but you did everything bye the books and you are breathing.
I am with the cop the minute that guy walked out of his car I see it as intent and have been in defense mode already. right on. BTW why is everytime you post its always something crazy could we get a good florida weather report :wink:

lol, like i said i just don't have the time lately, but i put stories up that merit extra attention, lol. The weather has been rather nice lately though hahahaha

mid 70's during the day. . . mid 60's at night, lol

yay for camping on the weekends

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Heatho said:
I don't come around here much... but I just read your post. amazing story. Thanks for sharing.

You did everything right... and I agree you wouldn't have had time to dial 911 on a Cell phone and talk to someone... maybe you could have dialed 911 and dropped the phone on the other seat... but that means you would have had to take your eyes off of this bozo to do it.

glad you are ok.

Thanks a lot.

Its scary thinking about what would have happened if I decided not to bring my gun with me that morning, and especially if he had a weapon. . . Could have ended up much worst.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I think you did everything correctly and I'm glad you didn't get hurt.

I don't know about your area but around here the Sheriff Departments don't do anything other than serve warrants, transport prisoners and work at the courthouse. You probably just confused him.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Glad to hear ya came out OK. I'm glad the moron of the story realized what was going on and chose to retreat. I had something similar happen to me a month ago...luckily I was just able to speed off after he started to approach my car.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Glade you're ok and the fool backed down...sounds like you kept your cool...a similar thing happened on the freeway in Dallas TX shortly after the CHL law went into effect…the only difference is the fool got shot and killed by the other driver...he wasn't charged either.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Glade you're ok and the fool backed down...sounds like you kept your cool...a similar thing happened on the freeway in Dallas TX shortly after the CHL law went into effect…the only difference is the fool got shot and killed by the other driver...he wasn't charged either.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The officer was an a$$. You didn't pull a gun on the guy because of road rage. You pulled it in self defense because of the other guy's road rage.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
In Texas, people exiting a vehicle yelling/screaming at you does not justify drawing a gun... you have to be presented with deadly force and/or believe that the person is about to present deadly force... and or be caught up in a felony in action in order to be justified. Something VERY similar to this happened in my city and the police arrested the person who drew the gun (would be you, in your story)... but then again, he didn't call the police like you did... although it might have helped, he still drew a firearm presenting deadly force against someone who did not pose direct deadly force.

Glad you're safe, and I agree with everything you did... saddly, I couldn't do it in my state, up until the guy started to reach for something... then it would be legal for me to draw a weapon.

ETA: changed sentence structure, grammar, and clarified something I felt was unclear... sorry, but i'm VERY tired and my brain is misfiring from breathing toluene, napthalene, and all the other crap I had to pour out today...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
KimberCustomII said:
The officer was an a$$. You didn't pull a gun on the guy because of road rage. You pulled it in self defense because of the other guy's road rage.

exactly, but he just saw some 22 year old punk with a gun. Oh well, it's over and done with for now.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Grimwulff said:
you have to be presented with deadly force and/or believe that the person is about to present deadly force...
I don't want to step on anybodys feet, but I think I can answer a quote with a quote:

Cameron said:
At this point, he is merely feet away from me, and he starts to reach for something with his right hand around his hip. He began to lift his shirt around his right hip

I don't know if he was in Texas, but if he was, he'd still have been justified.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
tamworth said:
[quote name='Grimwulff'] you have to be presented with deadly force and/or believe that the person is about to present deadly force...
I don't want to step on anybodys feet, but I think I can answer a quote with a quote:

Cameron said:
At this point, he is merely feet away from me, and he starts to reach for something with his right hand around his hip. He began to lift his shirt around his right hip

I don't know if he was in Texas, but if he was, he'd still have been justified.[/quote]

If you read my later add-on, I noted that it would be justified at that point, since that part had slipped my memory.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts