MP-Pistol Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have to go against the grain here and feel the original officer was correct and even though you felt he was rude he may have been trying to tell you something.

Based on the information your written statements say that you slowed your car down when he was behind you and tapped your brakes. I would look into this further as in many areas this could be considered escallating road rage.

Other than that I feel you did everything correctly.

·
Registered
106 Posts
glad to hear you're okay. i wonder what the hell was going through that guy's head. :?: :?: :?: anyhow, from your post, i believe you did everything by the book.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Stranded in Daytona said:
I know I haven't been around lately, but since graduating college the real world has kept me very busy. But last night was the first time i've ever had to use my M&P for defensive purposes. I will copy and paste the exact write up of events that I gave to the police as my statement because it is the most detailed account of what happened.

7:30pm: Left my job, Sparkle and Shine, and called Wing Zone to order dinner. I began to head south on Nova Road from Grenada (Hwy 40) to go to Wing Zone (3rd street and Nova Rd).

7:33pm: I am in the far left hand lane on Nova road. This section is a three lane road. A green Chevrolet S-10 pickup truck is making a U-Turn from the North bound lane, into the southbound lane. He pauses in the middle of my lane, and I am unsure if he sees me or not, so I flash my high beams at him. He moves into the far right hand lane just before I get to him, and as I pass him he gives me the middle finger. Soon after I pass him, he speeds up to my rear bumper. He tails me extremely close so I slow down. He stays right on my bumper, so much that it was nearly impossible to see his headlights. I applied the brakes, but he stayed right on my bumper. There other two lanes of traffic at this point in time, and he made no effort to pass me. I was going to move over, but I did not for 2 reasons. The first was that I could not see around his truck to tell if there were any cars in the middle lane, and the second was that we were approaching the intersection of Hand Avenue and Nova Rd, which was at a red light.

7:36pm: I pulled up to the stop light behind another car. There were two cars to my right hand side, and the man tailing me pulled up beside my vehicle in the left hand turn lane, leaving another car behind me. I was boxed in by all the traffic eliminating any escape route. As the man pulled up next to me in the left hand turn lane, he was yelling and cursing at me, I don’t remember anything specific he said. My windows were down, but my music was on and I believe his windows were up when he was yelling at me. I just gave him a weird look like I didn’t know why he was doing this to me. He stopped his truck beside my vehicle, and began to get out of his truck. As he did this I immediately felt threatened because I saw no reason he should be getting out of his car. I opened my glove box, and removed my firearm from it and placed it on my lap. As he was exiting his truck he was still cursing at me, but I yelled to him, “Sir! Please get back inside of your vehicle!” but he still approached. Once again I said, “Sir! Please get back inside of your vehicle; I feel threatened!”. But, he still approached my car. At this point, he is merely feet away from me, and he starts to reach for something with his right hand around his hip. He began to lift his shirt around his right hip, and was within reaching distance of me so I pulled up my firearm, aimed at him and said, “Sir! Get back inside of your vehicle!”. He looked at the gun, it took a moment for him to realize what it was it seemed, and then he lowered his hand and stepped back. Then he yelled at me, “ You pulled a gun on me! You’re going to jail mother licker!” and just yelled that over and over as he went back to his truck. I lowered my firearm and continued to watch him as he reached inside of his truck and pulled out his cell phone. I still don’t know what he was reaching for when he approached my vehicle. But he continued to yell at me the same phrase as he looked at my license plate and dialed a phone number. I assumed he was calling 911, but I just watched him. At this point the light turned green and I drove off. I watched him to make sure he didn’t’ follow me again.

7:43pm: At this point, I called 911 to report what just happened. I told the operator what just happened, and told her that I could meet an officer at the Volusia County Sheriffs office on 3rd street and Nova rd. I told her that the firearm would be cleared and locked in the glove box of my vehicle. As I pulled into the parking lot of the Sheriffs Station, I did just that. I ejected the magazine, cleared the weapon and placed it in my glove box. I locked it, turned on all interior lights, got out of the vehicle and put the keys in the door handle. I got out my driver’s license, and Concealed Carry Permit and waited for the officer away from the vehicle.

7:50pm: The sheriff showed up and asked me what happened. I explained it to him and he ran my ID’s. He came out of the car and said, “here ya go, if you want to do anything you have to go to the Ormond Beach Police Dept because this happened north of Hand Avenue”. He also informed me that no one had reported having a gun pulled on them that evening. The officer wasn’t exactly cooperative, and didn’t act very professional to me because he did not check me for the weapon, and he didn’t even check the vehicle, or clear the gun himself, or check to see if the gun was registered at all. He told me that I pulled a gun on someone over road rage, even after I tried to explain to him how threatened I felt, but his words were, “Tell it to the Grand Jury”, and he left me there. I don’t hold it against him, because I’m sure he has to deal with things like this all the time, but I wish he was a bit more cooperative.

8:00pm: At this point I go home (LPGA International golf course neighborhood) and call the Ormond Beach Police Headquarters to see what they wanted me to do. I got their automated phone message, which informed me that their hours of operation were from 6am to 6pm. Since I didn’t get a hold of anyone there, I decided to call my Concealed Carry Instructor, Raymond Shaw, to get his advisement on what to do. I told him the entire story, and he told me to write down everything that happened with as much detail as I remember. He also advised me to go down to the Ormond Beach police headquarters just in case someone was in the lobby.

9:00pm: I was still pretty shaken up from the entire incident so I waited for my girlfriend to get home and had her drive me to the Police HQ. We arrived there to find the lobby doors open, but no one at the front desk. All the lights were off, and I stood in there calling out to see if anyone was there, but got no response. After that we returned home.

11/07/2007

9:00 am: Drove to Ormond Beach police department and met with Officer Copello. I told him my story, and handed him a copy of this written statement. He said that I didn't everything correctly and was completely justified. He said he would have pulled the gun sooner, but no matter, I did the right thing. I signed the statement and wrote on it that it was all true to his knowledge. He also said that if anything does come of this, which he highly doubts it will, than I have taken every step to make sure that I was covered.

That Sheriff that I met on the night of the incident was very rude... And extremely uncooperative for an officer of the law, but like i said above... i can't really blame him.

I'm very glad the man didn't advance anymore, and when I think about the way he was acting, he very well may have been drunk or on some type of drugs to be acting like that over basically nothing. But all in all... I am SO happy I put my gun in my car every morning. I hope nothing like this ever happens again... I sure as hell never thought I'd have to use it for this purpose, but that is why I bought the gun and I am very glad I did.

So how was everyone else's Tuesday night? hahaha

-Cameron

Thanks for sharing your experience. Nobody wants to have to draw their firearm in self defense, but you had no choice. I would have done the same.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Morphire said:
[quote name='ToddG']...The only thing I might suggest is that had I been in the same situation, the moment he started to get out of his car I'd have been on the phone with 911, describing him, what he was doing, what he was driving, and hopefully loud enough that he could hear me...

I have to very much disagree with you on this one. If a threat situation is developing I want to make sure I'm in complete awareness of the threat and not trying to find my cell phone, punch in three numbers and then carry on a conversation with an operator asking me questions and giving me instructions. If enough time presented it self pulling the cell phone and pressing 9 until the phone calls 911 by itself would be an option, but at that point I would have dropped the phone and stayed on the threat at hand. The 911 operator would have dispatched an officer if they could determine the origination of the call. If not then you have them on the line immediately if you need them later. More than likely I would have stayed away from the phone and on the threat and my response instead.[/quote].

I concur with Morphire. When faced with a situation where the threat is imminent and there is no

avenue for escape, your cell phone will not protect you. The police, even if you called them, would

not be there quick enough to protect you from an imminent threat. There are exceptions, but they

are the exception rather than the rule. I would rather answer a call where the victim defended

himself / herself with a firearm than find that victim dead or injured with a cell phone in his hand

and a weapon holstered at his side.

I don't have one coworker who doesn't support responsible citizens being armed. We can't be

everywhere, so sometimes it is up to individuals to protect themselves until our arrival.

·
Registered
757 Posts
While you handled the situation reasonably well, why did you let it develop? With a vehicle pursuing you, you might have done other things before the situation reached that point.

Examples:

1. When you realized you were being followed, you could have called the cops.

2. When stopping any traffic light, always leave enough room to pull out from behind the car in front. If you can see the bottom of their bumper, you ususally have room to pull out. No lane available? Drive over the curb.

3. If you'd had room to move, the time to leave the scene was after the potential assailant left their vehicle. At times like these, screw the traffic laws, worst case, you pay a traffic ticket, it's cheaper than a homicide defense.

That said, when the guy started reaching, you had the classic furtive movement.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
wr moore said:
While you handled the situation reasonably well, why did you let it develop? With a vehicle pursuing you, you might have done other things before the situation reached that point.

Examples:

1. When you realized you were being followed, you could have called the cops.

2. When stopping any traffic light, always leave enough room to pull out from behind the car in front. If you can see the bottom of their bumper, you ususally have room to pull out. No lane available? Drive over the curb.

3. If you'd had room to move, the time to leave the scene was after the potential assailant left their vehicle. At times like these, screw the traffic laws, worst case, you pay a traffic ticket, it's cheaper than a homicide defense.

That said, when the guy started reaching, you had the classic furtive movement.

Honestly, I really didn't have the time to stop the situation from developing... this all happened in less than a 1/10 of a mile distance, and I was surrounded by curbs. I mean I guess there is a "Shoulda Woulda Coulda" Attitude towards it. If I had known that he was going to block me in and not take the left hand turn I could have taken the left hand turn and gotten away before he blocked me... but Hindsight is always 20/20 my friend.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts