MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't S&W afford to lubricate their M&P's at the factory? :roll:

I bought a new M&P45 about a month ago, and a new M&P9C Wednesday. Both were shipped from S&W dry. It did not appear there was any lubricant on either of these guns at any of the wear points.

I always inspect, clean, and lubricate a new firearm prior to firing them. But I can't help think there are a lot of newbies that don't. I would think this could account for many of the minor issues people are having with FTF, FTE, and complaints regarding trigger pull. Both of my guns have excellent triggers right out of the box (after applying lubricant).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sounds like that is the consensus, I haven't picked up my 9C yet, but plan to clean and lube it before I take it to the range. Even if they were ready to shoot out of the box, I'd still clean and lube before shooting, I trust nothing. I'm a heavy equipment operator, I've always been taught lubrication and maintenance go hand in hand, I see no difference with my guns.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've actually known some gun shops that degrease new guns that they put in the showcase, so customers don't get their hands dirty, and the guns don't have smears, and smudges all over them.

I'm old-school myself. I do the opposite so the guns finish doesn't get damaged from people with high acidity in their finger prints. Although many of today's firearms are somewhat resistant to this, unlike the highly polished blue finishes some firearms.

The internals, and moving parts of any firearm should be properly lubricated. Sometimes with oil, sometimes with a light grease, depending on the function of the part. Both of these M&P's I bought came out of the back room storage, supposedly never opened.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Cleaning when new?

Even high quality firearms manufacturers will occasionally leave inappropriate materials in their finished products. I have found metal shavings, wood shavings, plastic shavings, extraneous parts, burned oil, and unidentifiable materials in brand new firearms.

It’s not a factory, it’s a modern surgical theater.

With these possible unintended additions, cleaning a new firearm is a pretty good idea. I would also suggest that new purchasers go the extra mile and clean out the striker channel as well. The only M&P failure I have had probably involved oil in the striker channel when it was fairly new.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts