MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Fenix™ T1 Flashlight $73 shipped @fenix-store.com

The Fenix Tactical series (T) features a powerful, solid, durable, and waterproof design intended for rugged outdoor and military use. It’s as solid as a tank. The T1 uses two CR123A batteries and maintains excellent constant brightness with two output modes: General mode, which can last for a whole night and can be used for general illumination, and Turbo mode, which can be used whenever high-powered light is needed – search and rescue, long-range target identification, etc.

Features

• Cree Premium (Q5) 7090 XR-E LED with lifespan of 50,000 hours

• Two modes of output, selected by turning the bezel:

¨ Turbo Mode: Constant 225 Lumens, 1.5 hours

¨ General Mode: Constant 60 Lumens, 10 hours

• Highly efficient focusing head - throws beam over 200 meters

• Digitally regulated output - maintains constant brightness

• Low battery indication system

• Uses two 3V CR123A lithium batteries

• 136.5mm (Length) x 35mm (Diameter)

• Solid stainless head & durable aircraft-grade aluminum housing

• Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish

• 153 + -- 0.5 gram weight (excluding batteries)

• Waterproof to IPX-8 Standard

• Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating

• Tactical tailcap switch with momentary-on function

• Tactical body clip – attaches securely for easy carrying

• Anti-roll, slip-resistant body design

• Able to stand up securely on a flat surface to serve as a candle

• Included accessories: holster, lanyard, two spare o-rings, and a spare rubber switch boot

if your a member of cpf you get 8% off!!

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.ph...40c266882ff2476

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
And the point is? No disrespect but I see a cut and paste of ad copy with no links or prices so how are we to compare this to other products? Any third party reviews? I carry a Fenix L0D-CE everywhere, but it's the size of a AA battery.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
whoops forgot the link.. relax, relax.. Its a new product not out yet, shipping on the 28th.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Nice Im not a member of CPF but look at it alot.

I also got this site a 5% discount MP5

I have two of the P3D Premium Q5s that give 215 lumens

I first started with the L2T and went to the L2Ds and jumped to the regular P3D

always awesome lights

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I want... badly. I've been increadibly happy with my P1D-CE. I've been hoping for one of the more competent makers ot produce an affordable LED light without 8 bajillion modes that I will never use and that get in the way.

This is exactly what I want. a light with a high and low mode selectable by something other than the tail switch, and a tail switch that lets me do momentary on, in a package that won't roll away if I set it down and has a glass lens that won't scrathc easily. Preferably with an LED so I'm not buying $16 bulbs every year.

I like surefires, but they haven't produced anything that has made me want to get rid of my ancient 6p, without adding a mess of features I don't want and charging me $300 for them. The P1D-CE was the first of many compeitiors to bump my 6P from my EDC after it's 10 year run as it was sufficiently bright, and the battery cost was MUCH, MUCH lower.

I'd describe Fenix lights as similar to streamlight offerings for quality, but with more feature parity for your dollar (streamlight seems to often lack brightness and throw, even if you are willing to give them more money and the plastic lenses kill me). Fenix seems to listen to what the buyers want and makes it. (other than a weapon mounted LED light. The P1d-CE in a rail mount would be awesome on compact pistols).

The only thing ocming remotely close to what I would still like is the surefire 6P LED. But that is only 80 lumens, and for a LED that isn't enough oomph to get any kind of throw.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
OK. Since absolutely nobody will buy me a $73 flashlight for Christmas that you can only buy at one website they have never used before, my will has crumbled like... well something very crumbly that escapes me now as my mind if occupied with thoughts predominantly flashlighty.

I will provide my opinion of the product when it arrives.

·
Registered
708 Posts
A P3D Q5 uses 2 3v lith cells doesnt have the new features like that one but is almost the same.

if you want a AA version look at the L2D its 135 lumens and only 56$

The P3D Q5s are 67$

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I talked to chow on my first order and he said he can offer 8% for mp users if their shopping cart was right
so maybe a t1 and some batteries to go?

·
Registered
237 Posts
I wish I knew of Fenix lights when I spent $145 on my SureFire L4!!!!!! I already lost one of these

while at work and it HURT to buy another one. Is the Fenix brand a reputable and dependable

brand??? Any recommendations for a light primarily used to search buildings and vehicles???

I use the L4 primarily for this, but would like to replace it with something that would hurt a little

less if I lost it.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One word yes.

In many;

Search through candlepowerforums.com and you will see many praises about fenix products. I have had no issues with the three I use, I edc the p2d and it has great output, very long battery life, and has held up to being dropped a ton of times and dipped in the sink for 15 minutes while on.

Light output and tint is good for a p4 cree, but I can't wait to get one of these new t1's, twice the output and momentary switch, plus, I only use two modes, low and high. Sos is overrated and annoying slow, and the rest of the modes just get in the way for real use, I will miss the flash mode which really bothers the eyes to stare out from the opposite end. But in a house, the white walls just reflect that and mess with your eyes also.

With the cpf coupon the t1 is $67 shipped, you could buy two and be just fine if you lost one, but you might like the flash mode of the p2d/p3d with a q5.

I would say quality is on par with most major manufactures, not superb, but very reliable.

p.s. I've owned the p2d since jun and I'm on my third cr123, which is not bad considering how much I use it in turbo mode on a daily basis.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Are these shipping from the US or Asia? I ask because it effects delivery times. If it's as good for its size as my little L0D-CE I may have to look into one or two. Now if only they were black instead of green - oh well.

·
Registered
708 Posts
They are made in China and Fenix-store.com is in the US, he ships them free

be sure to email him he will give you 8% disc if you buy enough.

He uses first class mail, you should get the light within a week at most.

Here is one of the original threads we started about fenix lights.

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?...highlight=fenix

LED is the future simple as that.

I have 6 Fenix lights,

1x L2T 55 lumens *discontinued

2x L2D 135 lumens

1X P3D 160 lumens

2x P3D Q5 215 Lumens

you can see where its going...

I work for my county where I am in the ceiling tiles alot where its dark and I use my lights almost on a daily basis.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
OK, they shipped mine (preordered) on 11-28, I got it 11-30.

Here's some comparative beamshots. Taken at 33 feet, the pillar on the right is at about 20 feet, and there is also a beam at 20 feet which is only illuminated byt the brightest mode of the P1D-CE and T1. You'll notice the T1 is bright enough the reflected light fills in the shadow cast by the beam. I tried to get the color casts of the light correct, but only the P1D-CE shots come really close. The T1 shots show the yellow green cast, but exagerate it especially in the 225 lumen mode shot. The xenon shots get the color cast close, but not quite. On my monitor they are about as accurate as it is going to get. Review is below the beamshot.

It's damn near the perfect light IMO. For me, anyway, and frankly I don't know if anyone can make the perfect light for me as I have some mutually exclusive wants. Realisticly, I think it is intended to be used in 225 lumen mode until/unless you hit the power warning, then you can continue in 60 lumen mode rather than be without light. Which is what I want, but may not be what you want.

Construction: Rock solid. Dropped it onto institutional carpet over concrete from 8 feet while running a coupe of times and also gave it a couple hard whacks against the desk while running. Didn't even skip a beat. The latter would most definitely have me buying a new lamp assemply for the 6p if it had been on for more than 60 seconds.

Fit: The fit is top notch. About the only part on it that doesn't feel on par with the surefires of the world is the rubber cap on the clicky switch. Honestly, it is more flexible and doesn't feel as stout as my 6p, but that doesn't mean it isn't as durable. Compared to my old 6p, newer 6p tailswitches feel less stout as well and actually hold up a bit better. All the threads are very clean,

Finish: Well there are 5 parts to this light. The bezel is stainless and bead blasted. Then theres the head which is what we will call color A which might be forgivable because it looks like it is not the same material as the rest of it. The second part that is attached to the head which we will call color b, the body, which is color c, and the tailswitch/battery access bit on the end which is color b again as best as I can tell. Then theres the white crap they fill the fenix logo in with. It is very uneven, and is also in the checkering. The finish is also not very tough, or more likely isn't being done right. There are what look like scratches in spots, possibly from my space pen that has ridden in the same pocket for the last 24 hours or so, but could just as easily have been some lint/hair/fibers that had contaminated the surface before anodizing. There is also one chip in the anodizing near where the belt clip mounts. Out of the box, this is the one part it falls noticably short of surefuire quality. A NIB surefire has a damn near perfect finish. The question is will it be different than a surefire after a year or two of knocking around? I don't know. It seems less tough than other hard anodized finishes on other cheap lights I own.

Light-color: It is hard to describe, short version is that it is more usable color wise. To be honest, it is probably the most color neutral LED i have seen to date. Realisticly you will want to say it is blue like all white LEDs, but also yellow or green tinged depending on the situation. I think this is because unlike previous LEDs that lacked in red or yellow light compared to blue and green, these have more yellow light.

Light-intensity:
Pretty damn nice. I'll post up beamshots after dinner. Basically, since the LED is very bright, they cut back on the orange peel and changed the goemetry some, so up close you get throw like a surefire 6p, but much brighter. I don't know if it lives up to the 200m claim, but it does put up useful light to about 100 yards in the dark.

Design: I'm not going to say anything about circuitry. I'm not qualified to comment. However, usability and ergonomics I can comment on.

1) the crenelated tailcap does what it is supposed to do. Provides a stand, keeps it form being turned on in the pocket, and makes it easier to activate momentarily. In a pinch you could also strike with it and it would be more unpleasant than a plain cylindrical end. Still, it manages to be tame enough it probably won't tear up your pants pocket.

2) The spanner notches in the bezel serve a second purpose so you can tell the light is on if you put it down on the bezel.

3) The belt clip is a mixed bag. It works very well as a clip, but is fairly bulky. Also, if you want to use the 60 lumen mode, you are basically dragging it back and forth across the body. The belt clip also does not appear to come off without disassembling the head, if then. I'm not that adventurous.

4) The head is a solid hunk of metal. Which is good as it gives the heat someplace to go. I haven't tortured the thing, but after several minutes of continuous outdoor use, it wasn't even warm. Indoor, 5 minutes of continuous use gets it very mildly warm.

5)Overall shape. The anti-roll facets work well, and the taper serves a dual purpose. First it makes using the clip to pocket carry work fairly well. Second, you get a little more light on whatever you lay it down and point it at than the 6p does, and much more than with something narrower than that. I'd like a slimmer pocket clip, but it wouldn't work nearly so well.

What's included: One light in an easily opened clamshell blister pack. A pretty nice holster/sheat for it, something I'd consider attaching to a pack long term, not the usual junk afterthought. 2 spare o-ring, a spare clicky cap, and a pretty crappy lanyard like you might find packaged with a cheap MP3 player. A warranty card, and a VERY short "manaul".

Overall, if I had to compare, quality of construction is similar to surefire with the exception of finish. Bulk and heft is fery similar to a pelican M6. As for the light, I'll let the beamshots speak for themselves.

This is a high quality unit, and if streamlight or pelican came out with it, everyone would be saying that they finally came out with a good straightforward LED light, and surefire might want to pay attention.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I told Santa of this toy as soon it was advertised and that I really really want it. Maybe I've been good enough. If not, I'll just have to cough up the dough because I just won't be able to live without it. My only problem with it is that it uses CR123A batteries. I guess I shouldn't complain though, I'm just used to getting good performance from my other Fenix torches with AA's and AAA's.

I am also a member of CPF.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
cpf has a discount link on their page if you google cpf you will find your discount

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
MilitaryPower said:
I told Santa of this toy as soon it was advertised and that I really really want it. Maybe I've been good enough. If not, I'll just have to cough up the dough because I just won't be able to live without it. My only problem with it is that it uses CR123A batteries. I guess I shouldn't complain though, I'm just used to getting good performance from my other Fenix torches with AA's and AAA's.

I am also a member of CPF.

batteryjunction.com has decent prices. I just ordered these at less than a buck a piece. They also offer a candlepower forums coupon.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/ululliba.html CR123 prices.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just got the Tenergy RCr123's and 4 additional batteries along with the 4 it comes with. Its a very small charger, kinda cheap looking, but does include a house and car adapter.

The batteries are rated @ 900mah and charge in about 3 hours a peice 6 for two at a time.

Overall cost was $53 bucks with a cpf coupon and 3 day ups shipping.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/4parc390reli.html

·
Registered
708 Posts
would be nice to have rechargeable CR123s but at 50$ ill wait.. 6 hour charge time for 2 batts? geez also ill wait for it to be at least 1200 mah my AAs are 2500mahs.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts