MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my now retired father a 40c a month ago, now he has decided to sell the farm, house, cat and move to "Bear Country." Literally, Northern Idaho has to many bears to count, and he is avid fly fisherman so you get were I am going with this. I am looking at a 460, or 500 Emergency kit. Could I have your feedback on the items. Especially a place to get a decent price, my God, they are expensive. The bad part he likes the 40c and wont give it up, so I now need come up with some serious cash.

I have also posted this exactly topic in "Smith Wheelguns" but no one has replied, so I thought I would try it here for the good of the group.

Thanks in advance.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
44 mag will also do fine, they are pretty much everywhere, and alittle cheaper than those mentioned

·
Registered
246 Posts
I haven't had the occasion to shoot a bear, but my standard "out in the woods" packing piece is a 4" S&W 629 "Mountain Gun". With this gun and the proper ammo, some good heavy leadheads or similar, I think I would be armed okay. I would still prefer to not face a bear.

I have handled and shot a S&W 500 and have handled the 460 and to me, the "X" frame guns are HUGE! I am no small dude, 6'2", 220 and I find the X frame guns way too big and heavy to think about packing in a holster all day. They may be okay to haul around in the seat of a truck or in a bag or holster on a quad, but that wouldn't have them too handy if you are in a creek fly fishing and had a bear come visiting.

I am told that many of the fishing guides in Alaska carry an 18" barreled 870 Remington loaded slugs. I am sure that would do the trick. It might be about as difficult and inconvenient to carry as the X frame though.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Tried to post last night but the site went down... arghhhhhhhh.........

44 mag: 5 for the bear and one for the shooter.

or

Folding stock 12 ga. pump for when you really, really want to leave in one piece.

·
Registered
367 Posts
man, they have some huge bears in Kansas. Most people around here carry 357's and 44 mags for our black bears. Yeah, grizzly's and polar bears are a whole other story, that's why I asked on the other thread, what kind of bears?

Don't get caught up in the hype about the Alaskan "record" bear that took 5 38's then 10 (or whatever) 7mm's before it went down. And that was in Alaska. Now, I'm not going to try to argue that a handgun can compete with a rifle, but are there any documented 10 ft + bears in Idaho? If so, get a 338 win instead and feel safe.

Maybe a BFR in 45-70? I'm not positive how it stacks up against a 500 though. You can get those 700 grain shells for it (if you dare).

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/bearhunt.asp

·
Registered
501 Posts
Oddly, all the bears I've seen in Kansas were in zoos.

But when I was in Alaska for several years hunting and fishing, I was struck by the large size and obvious power of the browns and grizzlies. As for the little blacks, I could relate a story of my buddy's that took several .270's and finally a .338 (the Alaskan), but I wouldn't want to bore you with the ramblings of an old man. 8)

I'm not sure what size the largest grizzly in Idaho is but these guys say about 9': http://www.fws.gov/idahoes/Fact/Griz.html

for your viewing pleasure: http://tourretired.smugmug.com/gallery/570...798349#23798349

Notice what the guide is carrying.........

·
Registered
264 Posts
Not sure about the 460 or 500 emergency kits. I would vote for a 44 Mag "Mountain Gun". If we are talking about big bear, screw a handgun. You can get a lever action guide gun in 45-70 or bigger, or heck get a bolt gun in a good heavy caliber.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Morgan,

I replied over iin SMith wheelguns to your post there so i won't repeat myself totally but.... Check out Taurus 454 casull revolver. I fired one a couple weeks ago, really nice shooter and gotta be a lot less than the Smiths.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The "Emergency Kit" guns do not have a compensator and unless your dad loves recoil they will be quite a handful to shoot. Of course, with the .480, you can also use .45 long Colt, and .454 Casull as needed which really makes it a very practical gun. Still, I'd skip the "Emergency kit" and get it in a slightly longer barrel with a compensator.

As for the .500, there are some heavy .500 Special loads that can be used which feel no more than a .44 magnum, but propel a significantly larger bullet.

They are very heavy guns, however, and even in a proper holster will get heavy over time.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mikenkansas said:

But when I was in Alaska for several years hunting and fishing, I was struck by the large size and obvious power of the browns and grizzlies. As for the little blacks, I could relate a story of my buddy's that took several .270's and finally a .338 (the Alaskan), but I wouldn't want to bore you with the ramblings of an old man. 8)

I'm not sure what size the largest grizzly in Idaho is but these guys say about 9': http://www.fws.gov/idahoes/Fact/Griz.html

for your viewing pleasure: http://tourretired.smugmug.com/gallery/570...798349#23798349

Nice find, thanks...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
367 Posts
I swear every time I read this title I think it says "I need a beer gun"

So do I.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
mikenkansas said:

Mike, some beautiful pictures of Alaska, what camera were you using...

·
Registered
367 Posts
Yeah, a lever gun would be another alternative. I say short short 12 ga with a red dot and sabot slugs... I love 12 ga's though.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I vote for a rifle or 12 guage with slugs. Alaska Bear are perhaps bigger than those in Idaho but not one bit meaner. Save the pistol to put yourself out of misery in case the rifle or shotgun malfunction.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts