MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ambidextrous which is cool. Unfortunately my eyes are ambidextrous too. I don't have a dominant eye, which sucks. I can't keep a clear sight picture with both eyes open. So I usually close my left eye when I shoot righty, and close my right eye when I shoot lefty.

I know that closing an eye slows you down because it cuts your peripheral vision in half. I've been experimenting with different kinds of tape over my non shooting side eye, but no dice.

I've only shot about 1000 rounds with both eyes open. Is it just a matter of more time?

Does anyone have a solution?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hmm. I've never heard of someone that didn't have a dominant eye. Have you done the old finger hole trick?

Extend your right arm away from your body and make a circle with your thumb and forefinger. Like making an "Otay Buckwheat" sign. Now, with both eyes open, center some small object in the circle created by your fingers so that both eyes see that object through the circle. Now, keeping both eyes open, bring your hand to your face while keeping that object centered in your finger circle. Bring the circle all the way to the eye that naturally lets you keep seeing the object. That will be your dominant eye.

·
Site Staff
9,613 Posts
I've never heard of someone NOT having a dominant eye, if you didn't you would almost have to close one eye to clear things up.

Morphire spelled out one method, here's another method to try to determine your dominant eye, point with a fingertip at a distant object, close one eye, and then alternate, looking through your dominant eye, the finger still should be pointing at the distant object, when looking through your NON dominant eye, your finger will be out of alignment with the object. That's the way I was taught, and it's very easy to try.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Sometimes I see doubles when looking at the sights .... I just started trying to train myself which of the 2 sights to line up to hit the target. Sounds wierd I know but it works, if I ignore the right set of sights and line up the set on the left I hit what I'm aimin at.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have tried these methods, and it takes a while for one of the two images I see to come into focus. About 60% of the time it's the right one. About 40% of the time it's the left one. But the other image never goes away, it just fades a little.

When I open both eyes, I see three rear posts and two front posts ( R F R F R ). I do shoot bow with both eyes open, but I have to tilt my head, squint my non-shooting side eye, and wait about 10 seconds until the pin comes into focus. A technique not practical for pistol.

I think I'll try greatzippy's technique of always shooting at the same front post, either the right or the left. I've actually never tried that, go figure.

If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know.

·
Registered
341 Posts
bobbthompson said:
I see three rear posts and two front posts ( R F R F R )

My guess is that the middle R is actually 2 images on top of each other. But If I was looking at this R F R F R I would ignore the right F & R and aim the first 3 at the target R F R F R , The right F & R is the image from your left eye.

You can actually pracitce while dry firing in the house. Just pick a target to aim at, when you see your sight picture R F R F R line up 1 set on target. While holding your aim close you left eye .... the set you picked should remian on target. If you close your right eye the set you should ignore will be off to the side of the target.

From my understanding this training will eventually cause that second set of sights to slowly go away as you right eye will become "use" to being used.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts