MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been somewhat of a long journey with my M&P's but if you guys can wait it out a bit (those experiencing problems) S&W WILL make your gun right. My M&Pc .40 is back from the factory, this time to cure the walking locking block pin. I had my gun back in two weeks - S&W ended up replacing the entire frame. I just came back from the range, fired 100 rounds of Win White Box and eureka my pin did not move. As for the mag catch problem (I didn't have it on my .40 but did have it on my 9), the tension on the mag release button seems stronger than I remember. No dropped mags, no problem with the slide locking back on the last round (had that one too with my 9c), just 100 rounds of flawless shooting. My confidence level in this gun has risen dramatically. In fact, I can't wait for my KD IWB to arrive so I can carry it in true fashion.

I am going to give you guys another tip and it's one of the least expensive investments you can make that really does IMHO make a difference....Dan Burwell's serrated rear sight is a keeper. A far better, cleaner sight picture than the OEM rear. It truly improved my accuracy. Now would I ever attempt to install another rear sight on an M&P? Yes, when pigs start to fly (just like the spring and cap did that sit in the rear dovetail -in fact several times). Do yourself a favor (if you are tool challenged like me), let Dan do the install. I never want to see/use a brass punch again.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Glad you got it back and they fixed it.. That is one thing I can honestly say about S&W.. They will do what it takes to make your gun right.. When my 22A was having FTE problems and then the slide jammed.. They fixed it and sent it back to me in 3 weeks.. I have 2000rds since I got it back and not a single issue..

Ben

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have a 2 month old 40C and it has been dead perfect for 500 rounds now. I trust my life with it!

For those of you contemplating a new compact M&P buy with confidence!!

I am glad S&W made good by you!! 8) Thanks for the post! :wink:

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BonoVox said:
I have a 2 month old 40C and it has been dead perfect for 500 rounds now. I trust my life with it!

For those of you contemplating a new compact M&P buy with confidence!!

I am glad S&W made good by you!! 8) Thanks for the post! :wink:

Thanks Bono. I am not completely sure about the "buy with confidence" endorsement given the recurring reports of problems with the M&P - the mag catch issue being the primary complaint. I would opt for "proceed with a modicum of caution, think positive, you've got a solid/reputable company behind you." For someone who wants a tried and true weapon right out of the box with the least possible chance of a hiccup, and doesn't relish the idea of sending his gun back to the factory unless it is absolutely necessary, the M&P may not be the best choice - at least for now. But for others who don't self-destruct at the first sign of a glitch, have confidence in the manufacturer and its ability to make things right, albeit not always immediately, the M&P has a lot going for it and I would give it a cautionary thumbs up. If my 40c stays carry-worthy, I will be very happy that I took the plunge. It has a great feel to it and is more accurate than I ever will be.

"Be fair, be balanced."

·
Registered
26 Posts
Congratulations!

Kraigster,

I'm happy your M&P is straight (finally). I've been following your posts the last several weeks with some interest, as I also have a 40c. My experience has been trouble-free.

I've thought a lot about the issue of problem M&P's. I don't think there is any way to tell from reading the forums, what percentage of total production the "problem" guns represent. I mean, if the "problem" gun is in your hand, all M&P's must "suck". But, do the "problem" guns represent a significant fraction of M&P production? Does anyone have access to real numbers? A ratio of "problems" to total production would be most revealing.

I don't want to minimize the problems anyone has had. I'm just curious how prevalent the problems are.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Congratulations!

40something said:
Kraigster,

I'm happy your M&P is straight (finally). I've been following your posts the last several weeks with some interest, as I also have a 40c. My experience has been trouble-free.

I've thought a lot about the issue of problem M&P's. I don't think there is any way to tell from reading the forums, what percentage of total production the "problem" guns represent. I mean, if the "problem" gun is in your hand, all M&P's must "suck". But, do the "problem" guns represent a significant fraction of M&P production? Does anyone have access to real numbers? A ratio of "problems" to total production would be most revealing.

I don't want to minimize the problems anyone has had. I'm just curious how prevalent the problems are.

40, thanks for your post. This is a subject that has been discussed at length in other threads in mp-pistol.com for months. I think it would be inappropriate (really) to get it going here as this thread was meant to be a positive, light at the end of the tunnel, all's well that ends well report. But to answer your questions, there is really no way to quantify the percentage of problem guns in circulation. The average gun owner does not frequent the gun boards nor does he/she in all probability train with their weapon as often as we do thus keeping the odds in their favor to a certain extent. It is safe to assume however judging from the frequent reports of problems having to do with the mag catch, that there is a systemic issue in play. The factory acknowledges they are having a problem with the mag catch, I have experienced it in my 9c as have others, and while at the range I witnessed another M&P owner having the same failure.

To summarize, we (the consumer) will never get a true indication of how many problem guns are in existence (though something is for sure going on here) or how many up-till-now good guns may experience a glitch later on, the latter being a cause for anxiety. Nevertheless I remain optimistic that in time, these forks in the road will be a brief chapter in the M&P history book under the heading, "problems no more."

By the way, I have a 9c for sale in the FS Room. Seems like all the glitches are out of that one too. VA residents only. (Had to throw that in.
)

Kevin (KD Holsters), when I get your IWB, I'll post a pic too
(maybe this will get him to work faster). Shown my 40c in a Crossbreed LH IWB QwikClip. Note: Burwell rear sight - excellent!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Kraigster414,

Why are you carrying in (gasp!) Glock rig?

How long have you been waiting for your K&D? Iordered mine at the end of march, got a call 2 weeks ago and my card was charged. Hoping it arrives this week.

Glad to Here you got the problems worked out! You won't be disappointed. The 40c is the nicest compact that I have handled.

I must be one of the lucky ones. After I switched my mag release to LH, I've never had another problem with my 40c.(2000+ rounds).

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kevin (KD) just emailed me. He starts working on my IWB holsters tomorrow. Yipeee! One for my M&Pc 40, the other for my Glock 27. It's been several months but who's counting.

Postscript: My 9c has been sold. That means my 40c (pictured above) will now be spoiled rotten.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Kraigster... congrats.... hope all continues well for you. I should be getting mine back before long too...

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DHart said:
Kraigster... congrats.... hope all continues well for you. I should be getting mine back before long too...

Hartster, I want very much to keep close tabs on your progress. Don't be a stranger.

By the way, I just picked up a second Sig P239, this time in 9mm. I think I'll play the Lone Ranger and wear them both at the same time.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Good to hear, and looks great too... Sounds like an old beer commercial. :wink:

·
Registered
471 Posts
Kraigster414, I am really glad that you now have an M&P that is working for you and that you are confident in!! I love my .40c and carry it often. I also am a HUGE FAN of Kevin's (K&D Holsters) work!! He is truly and artist!! I enjoy two of his holsters and there will be more!! The Maverick is calling my name. Your holster looks awesome!! Kevin says that the Dakota Defender is one of his top sellers.

Ron

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ront said:
Kraigster414, I am really glad that you now have an M&P that is working for you and that you are confident in!! I love my .40c and carry it often. I also am a HUGE FAN of Kevin's (K&D Holsters) work!! He is truly and artist!! I enjoy two of his holsters and there will be more!! The Maverick is calling my name. Your holster looks awesome!! Kevin says that the Dakota Defender is one of his top sellers.

Ron

Kevin's work continues to get better and better and now IMHO (no BS'ing), I think his products represent the best bang for the buck. That is not something I say lightly but do say with some authority having owned so many different IWBs over the years. KD is now my #1 choice for an IWB taking into account price, quality, aesthetics, and most importantly, comfort.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Kevin's work continues to get better and better and now IMHO (no BS'ing), I think his products represent the best bang for the buck. That is not something I say lightly but do say with some authority having owned so many different IWBs over the years. KD is now my #1 choice for an IWB taking into account price, quality, aesthetics, and most importantly, comfort.[/quote]

I agree 100%!! Kevin's products are as great as his CS!! I know that the Milt Sparks VM II is a very popular holster and many like it, but it's lack of adjustability kills it for me. This is one of the areas where I feel that the Cochise Defender and the Dakota Defender really shines. They are top drawer gear also. I love mine!! K&D is also my first choice!! I am seriously considering one of his Maverick Defenders. It looks very nice.

Ron

·
Registered
81 Posts
Glad to read your confident with your MPc's now.

What is the round count since the repair?

Are the KD holsters comfortable while sitting?

nunnya

1 - 20 of 90 Posts