MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just purchased a 380 ez fo my wife today, and realized after I got it home that I got the one without the thumb Safety. This is her first ever pistol, and I would be more comfortable if it has the safety . Is there a way to add one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
192 Posts
Whatever works for you, but the EZ's got a grip safety, isn't that enough?

Reactions: Notary

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yes you can add a thumb safety on you M&P380 EZ.
You will need the following parts:
Smith & Wesson M&P380 Shield EZ Safety Detent Spring Code: 3005523 Cost $5.24
Smith & Wesson M&P380 Shield EZ Safety Detent Code: 3005522 Cost $5.24
Smith & Wesson M&P380 Shield Manual Safety Code: 3005520 Cost $11.49

You can get these parts from Midwest Gun Works.

There are plugs on the side of the pistol's frame that are easily removed to accommodate the Manual Safety levers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes you can add a thumb safety on you M&P380 EZ.
You will need the following parts:
Smith & Wesson M&P380 Shield EZ Safety Detent Spring Code: 3005523 Cost $5.24
Smith & Wesson M&P380 Shield EZ Safety Detent Code: 3005522 Cost $5.24
Smith & Wesson M&P380 Shield Manual Safety Code: 3005520 Cost $11.49

You can get these parts from Midwest Gun Works.

There are plugs on the side of the pistol's frame that are easily removed to accommodate the Manual Safety levers.
Are you aware of any YT video instructions. My google-fu has failed me.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Are you aware of any YT video instructions. My google-fu has failed me.

The only YouTube video I could find about completely disassembly of the M&P380 EZ is this one about installing a different trigger that requires a detail disassembly.
It does not address the manual safety for the pistol. You will have to do a detailed strip. Once you find out where the detent and detent spring go, it is easy to remove the frame plugs and put the manual safety on which wraps around the rear of the sear housing at the rear of the pistol innards.

I have done this to a regular M&P and M&P M2.0. It is rather easy. If you are not sure of yourself, get help or pay a gunsmith. You can call Galloway Precision and ask them. They would know and might help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The only YouTube video I could find about completely disassembly of the M&P380 EZ is this one about installing a different trigger that requires a detail disassembly.
It does not address the manual safety for the pistol. You will have to do a detailed strip. Once you find out where the detent and detent spring go, it is easy to remove the frame plugs and put the manual safety on which wraps around the rear of the sear housing at the rear of the pistol innards.

I have done this to a regular M&P and M&P M2.0. It is rather easy. If you are not sure of yourself, get help or pay a gunsmith. You can call Galloway Precision and ask them. They would know and might help.
Thank you so much!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
406 Posts
Let her decide.

A manual safety can be a burden for a new shooter, it's an extra thing to remember in an already stressful situation.
My thoughts as well.

Unless you train A LOT to automatically switch the manual safety off as you draw, even an experienced shooter can forget to disengage it under the extreme stress of a personal defense situation.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Really, just teach her to keep her finger out of the trigger guard until on-target.

Is she planning to carry, or is this for home?

Most striker-fired pistol have plenty of pre-travel/trigger travel before releasing the shot, so it's pretty hard to "accidentally" fire a round.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Really, just teach her to keep her finger out of the trigger guard until on-target.

Most striker-fired pistol have plenty of pre-travel/trigger travel before releasing the shot, so it's pretty hard to "accidentally" fire a round.
This is currently only for home and the range. Although I hope once shes comfortable she’ll want to carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts

The EZ models are NOT striker fired they have an internal hammer

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you do not have a really high, tight grip (on the grip) that gun will NOT fire. Example: My right hand is pretty well trashed with arthritis and collapsed wrist bones and I cannot get a tight enough grip on that 'upside down' grip safety. The gun simply will not fire. I'm good for high and tight grip with my left hand which is now my shooting hand.

Even when you are done shooting and you show empty, then return the slide to battery and then insert an empty magazine and pull the trigger to lower the hammer for safe storage - Unless I am holding the gun with my left hand - nothing will happen.

I can't imagine how a thumb safety would increase the safety factor of the EZ since you need to flick off the safety as you draw anyway, before you have the gun up and on target. Mine is a .380.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you do not have a really high, tight grip (on the grip) that gun will NOT fire. Example: My right hand is pretty well trashed with arthritis and collapsed wrist bones and I cannot get a tight enough grip on that 'upside down' grip safety. The gun simply will not fire. I'm good for high and tight grip with my left hand which is now my shooting hand.

Even when you are done shooting and you show empty, then return the slide to battery and then insert an empty magazine and pull the trigger to lower the hammer for safe storage - Unless I am holding the gun with my left hand - nothing will happen.

I can't imagine how a thumb safety would increase the safety factor of the EZ since you need to flick off the safety as you draw anyway, before you have the gun up and on target. Mine is a .380.
Thanks Granny, you’re the reason I made the purchase. With the 365 option going up I’m smoke, Well for mother’s day at least.

·
Registered
406 Posts
The EZ models are NOT striker fired they have an internal hammer
Thanks - didn't know that (I have M&P Compacts).

Still feel a manual safety is not necessary for a stock pistol of that type, especially with the grip safety (which I don't like either...).

One too many things to need to do before being able to fire IMO.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Thumb safeties force you to remember to move them to the fire postiion?

Do you have to remember to pull the pistol from the holster?

Do you have to remember to aim it at the target?

Do you have to remember to put your finger on the safety?

If you need the time/effort to remember how to use the pistol you won't get the chance to use it when you need it.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Thumb safeties force you to remember to move them to the fire postiion?

Do you have to remember to pull the pistol from the holster?

Do you have to remember to aim it at the target?

Do you have to remember to put your finger on the safety?

If you need the time/effort to remember how to use the pistol you won't get the chance to use it when you need it.
Really?

There is quite a bid of difference between drawing and getting on target and having to disable a safety before firing.

I don't need one more thing to do in order to get the pistol to fire if I feel my life is in danger. Will I be cool, calm, and collected? Probably not. Most likely I'll be rushed and pumped full of adrenaline.

I carry my pistol ready to fire - just point and shoot. Maybe I should carry with an empty chamber and a manual safety on?

If you have too many things to do before being able to fire your pistol - "you won't have the chance to use it when you need it" would be more accurate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great info TXbug!

I will say when we purchased the EZ 9 for my wife she specifically did not want the manual safety. As others mentioned the grip safety is honestly more than enough. Sure you can train to use the manual safety but if using for defense then every moment counts. If you go to pull the trigger to find out the safety is on then its probably too late.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts