MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just looking at my M&P today, and I began to wonder about some "improvements" that I could make to the M&P. Feel free to add your own thoughts.

1. Aluminum/steel frame: would make the pistol heavier, but I think it would improve accuracy.

2. Aluminum/steel trigger: don't care much for the plastic thing.

3. Melt down treatment on the slide: I know Dan does a good job, but I would like S&W to offer it.

4. Nickel/Stainless slide: Once again, Dan does a beautiful job, but it would be nice if S&W did it.

5. Removal of the mag safety (the little yellow bar inside): useless in my opinion and something else that could fail.

6. More tension on the mag release spring/rod: Come on, you know you want one too.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
slomo said:
5. Removal of the mag safety (the little yellow bar inside): useless in my opinion and something else that could fail.
That is already an option.

·
Registered
372 Posts
slomo said:

The yellow bar is the sear disconnect not the mag safety. If you have a mag safety, it will run parallel to the yellow bar and is silver. The yellow bar is safer than pulling the trigger to disengage the sear.

MI_Jester

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm not sure how the aluminum or steel frame would really help though. I'm sure it would give a tighter lock up but I have shot a p226R 9mm side by side with the M&P 9mm and they are just about equally accurate in my hands and a couple of other shooters who were with me. I think it would be interesting if someone eventually offers something like what CCF offers for the Glocks.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sear disconnecter...thanks.

Hey Chooch...you said that's an option? Can you completely remove the "sear disconnecter?" If so, would you please show me how or point me in the right direction?

og556: It's mostly for the look. I just like the way most Sigs feel. The weight ratio is really balance, instead of being top heavy. With the alm/steel frame, the weight is shifted downward and the overall handling of the firearm just feels more balance. My .02.

MI_Jester: I don't want to start an argument, but in reply to your comment about "safety," if you're not responsible enough to check the chamber before pulling the trigger to disengage the sear, you shouldn't own a gun. I've owned several types of handgun, and all of them don't have the sear disconnecter. My .02, just something else that can fail. Once again, no disrespect. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Don't get me wrong, I carry my M&P 90% of the time. These are just things I would like to see happen.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
slomo said:
Hey Chooch...you said that's an option? Can you completely remove the "sear disconnecter?" If so, would you please show me how or point me in the right direction?
I was referring to the mag safety.

·
Registered
280 Posts
In regards to safety, no mechanical device should be relied on before training. Discipline trumps it.

slomo said:
Sear disconnecter...thanks.

og556: It's mostly for the look. I just like the way most Sigs feel. The weight ratio is really balance, instead of being top heavy. With the alm/steel frame, the weight is shifted downward and the overall handling of the firearm just feels more balance. My .02.

MI_Jester: I don't want to start an argument, but in reply to your comment about "safety," if you're not responsible enough to check the chamber before pulling the trigger to disengage the sear, you shouldn't own a gun. I've owned several types of handgun, and all of them don't have the sear disconnecter. My .02, just something else that can fail. Once again, no disrespect. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Don't get me wrong, I carry my M&P 90% of the time. These are just things I would like to see happen.

·
Registered
936 Posts
You need to list the reasons for your improvements. For example, "Dont much care" isnt really a reason to go through the trouble of redesigning a trigger in aluminum.

As far as the carry mods, if S&W offers it it will be a whole heck of a lot more $ than if Dan or someone else does it.

Im very fond of the mag release tension myself.

·
Registered
280 Posts
As for the mag release tension, someone here put a plastic spacer between the spring and the frame, therefore increasing the amount of tension on the mag release. I can't remember where the thread was, perhaps in the Technical Difficulties area "Mag Release Issues " thread. http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=5403 You'll have to search the 20 pages of the thread for it though

Basically it just moved the fulcrum of the spring up about half an inch or so, towards the mag release button. Decreased the amount of leverage you get, increasing the tension on it. Very simple, very effective.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
slomo said:
1. Aluminum/steel frame: would make the pistol heavier, but I think it would improve accuracy.

This would do nothing to improve mechanical accuracy. An argument could be made that for slow, deliberate marksmanship a heavier frame, within reason, helps control wobble.

2. Aluminum/steel trigger: don't care much for the plastic thing.

Having put literally hundreds of thousands of rounds through Glocks, my M&P, SIGs, and both steel-trigger and plastic-trigger Berettas ... I can't tell the difference. Given the need for a hinged trigger, a metal part would be much more expensive to produce.

3. Melt down treatment on the slide: I know Dan does a good job, but I would like S&W to offer it.

For aesthetics? Maybe some day the Performance Center will do it. From a practical standpoint, there aren't any real snag points on the gun that need such a treatment. It's labor-intensive to do well, which is why people like Dan get paid to do it by hand.

4. Nickel/Stainless slide: Once again, Dan does a beautiful job, but it would be nice if S&W did it.

The slide is stainless. I expect a 2-tone version will come along soon.

S&W has decades of experience producing guns with mag safeties that haven't failed ... at least, not any more than any other part of a gun may fail. It's also far from useless, as countless law enforcement officers could tell you. Not everyone wants it, but it's an option ... get it or don't.

As for the sear disconnect, its inclusion in the M&P is a major reason why it's being chosen over the Glock by many agencies. Your comment to MI_Jester is simply wrong. There are many people who own guns, or are issued guns, who have made the mistake of discharging a Glock during the disassembly process. If you want to pony up the funds to improve the firearms training of every single cop in the country, I salute you. Otherwise, reality bites and we have to deal with it. One of the cardinal rules of firearms safety is "don't touch the trigger unless you want the gun to go BANG" ... a manual of arms that violates that rule is a Bad Thing.

6. More tension on the mag release spring/rod: Come on, you know you want one too.

Mine is great now that I got a replacement from the factory. If yours is causing problems, contact S&W. They're well aware of the problem and should resolve it painlessly for you.

If I were going to make an M&P wish list:

• Redesign trigger mechanism so there is a positive "click reset right from the factory
  • Do something about the takedown lever getting red hot during extended rapid fire
  • Improve the sights, especially the front night sight (a new factory rear sight is in the works)
  • Intermediate size (something between the full size and the compact)
  • More aggressive stippling of the gripping surfaces

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm glad I have the magazine safety. I pop the mag out when I reholster so there is no chance of shooting myself with one in the chamber, load mag back in, all done.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts