MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I want to get into this sport. Dan's posted video has given me the fever. I have a club within an hour of my location. I need a good "heads-up" on what to expect, some general guidelines, gear requirements, and caliber preference. Any and all info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
Just go out with some ammo, about 200 rounds to be safe, and what gear you have, holster and mag pouch, and ask.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I agree with Jester. Just show up for the match with the equipment you have, about 200 rounds of ammunition and a desire to learn and follow directions. Once you learn the sport, then you can start making decisions on what you need. Also, don't go to a match to "just watch." Get out there and shoot. One strong suggestion, plan on shooting very slow at your first match.

·
Registered
30 Posts
IDPA is great. I had never shot in competition before my first IDPA match and was a little nervous. The members at the club I went to were awesome. Very accepting, helpful and I had a blast. I was instantly hooked. I dont know for sure, but I guess the M&P would fit in the stock service pistol. If not then enhanced service pistol like the XD. Bring about 200 rounds. Rules for holsters, caliber etc can be found at www.idpa.com. Best of luck

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
SSP for the M&P. ESP if you do any external mods.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Jester said:
SSP for the M&P. ESP if you do any external mods.
Maybe you can explain this to me... I have asked several people at my club and looked in the rule book but cant get a straight answer. My XD40 is bone stock, so why the ESP class and not SSP?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Rules is rules. They don't have to make sense, they are just the rules. IDPA HQ has ruled that the XD is in ESP and the M&P is in SSP.

--Lin

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
striker function. saying that the M&P has to draw the striker some to fire while the XD is fullcocked

so M&P is DAO and XD is SAO

·
Registered
32 Posts
IDPA does not know how to classify a glock, so you can shoot it in ESP or SSP

·
Registered
94 Posts
Check your area for IPSC matches as well. The two sports are different, but trigger time is usually fun no matter what shooting sport you are participating in.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Show up early to offer to help set up, stay late to offer to help tear down. It's the right thing to do and you can make some contacts and get some ideas and information that way. I downloaded the rulebook to nice paper and have it spiral bound and covered so it is much easier to review...understanding the rules about tactical sequence, tactical priority, and cover ahead of time will help a lot (if you don't already). The rule book info on equipment, etc., has it all.

·
Registered
18 Posts
zzrguy said:
IDPA does not know how to classify a glock, so you can shoot it in ESP or SSP

This is true of all guns, not just Glock.

Any gun that meets the requirements of SSP can be used in ESP.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
No, but external mods to the frame or slide do.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
I asked that question to the guys I shoot with and Stippiling, bobtailing, so on takes you to esp. I don't know if this is gods word, just the IDPA I shoot at.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Jester is correct. If the gun is stippled or has exterior modifications, it will have to be classified in ESP. Trigger job and change of sights to another notch and post is allowed in SSP.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts