MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not familar with the rules for this game - thought maybe someone here could help. Does removing the mag safety on the M&P violate any IDPA rule?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Another issue would be since SW sells a cataloged model without the safety does it make a difference..

why would one gun be illegal because you disabled the mag safety, but another model is illegal without it..

but I am sure IDPA HQ will be clear in its ruling..

·
Registered
47 Posts
I could see them having a problem with guns where the mag release itself was removed as there's now a spring in the gun that's not intended to be used there. But i'm also not sure how they'd know to enforce it.

If nothing else, you can order a new sear assembly without a mag disconnect from brownells for like $30.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TBoliv said:
If nothing else, you can order a new sear assembly without a mag disconnect from brownells for like $30.

Yeah I guess that's always a possibility, but I just can't see myself going that far to make an already appropriate gun fit that rule. I'll wait to see how this hashes out before sending in my IDPA app fees. In the meantime, I'm perfectly content with shooting USPSA matches.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Bryan W said:
I'll wait to see how this hashes out before sending in my IDPA app fees. In the meantime, I'm perfectly content with shooting USPSA matches.

I know exactly how you feel, I let my IDPA Membership lapse, but my buddy is running the IDPA Matches now and I might just join again just for the heck of it.

But this ruling might make up my mind, I have one of each M&P9, one that came without the Mag Safety and the Laser Etched Warning and the other one came with the Mag Safety and I had the Sear Block Exchanged by Dan Burwell when he did my Trigger Job.

Now, is one more legal for IDPA than the Other??

What about if I send the One Slide back to S&W and heve them Laser Etch the Warning onto it?? Will it be more legal than before??? If so..... WHY??

Sorry if I'm trying to use common sense here
, but sometimes I must 8) 8)

·
Registered
56 Posts
The new rulebook specifically states:

The following modifications are NOT ALLOWED IN ANY DIVISION unless otherwise specifically mentioned.

A. Compensators of any type including hybrid or ported barrels.

B. Add-on weights for a competitive advantage (this includes, but is not limited to, weighted magazines, tungsten guide rods, brass magazine wells, weighted grips).

C. Heavy and/or cone style barrels without a barrel bushing.

D. Sights of non-standard configuration (i.e. Ghost rings, Bo-Mar rib, etc.).

E. Disconnection or disabling of any safety device on any gun.

F. Lights mounted on guns.

Based on Item E above I would not risk it. I personally wanted and got a gun with the mag safety warning on the slide so the IDPA rule nazi's wouldn't have any questions.

It is too simple to buy a gun without the safety from the factory.

I'm not defending the IDPA rules in any way. I'm just stating my opinion on the best way to go if the gun is for IDPA use. In practice I would hope that it wouldn't be an issue. But the realist in me has seen way to many "rules of the day" turn what could have been a fun event into a huge mess.

·
Registered
533 Posts
vzontini said:
The new rulebook specifically states:Based on Item E above I would not risk it. I personally wanted and got a gun with the mag safety warning on the slide so the IDPA rule nazi's wouldn't have any questions.

It is too simple to buy a gun without the safety from the factory.

I'm not defending the IDPA rules in any way. I'm just stating my opinion on the best way to go if the gun is for IDPA use. In practice I would hope that it wouldn't be an issue. But the realist in me has seen way to many "rules of the day" turn what could have been a fun event into a huge mess.

What about Jesters gun, that came without the Mag Safety or Warning from the factory??

Is he supposed to bring his box and Catalog to all IDPA Matches??

I'm not bashing IDPA, this is just too hard to enforce!! or is IDPA going to have a S&W Rep at all big matches or a list of serial numbers to make sure how the particular gun left the factory!!!

Just palyaing devils Advocare here.

This is why some SO's don't even look for infractions like these!! I do agree with you, I have seen too many range Nazis both in IDPA and USPSA Matches. The difference is that USPSA has been actively getting rid of the range Nazis, by not inviting them to RO Area and National Matches. You might see them at the Local level, but not at the Mdeium to Large Matches where they can cause some "REAL" Damage.

I hope this doesn't become a big issue, which I really doubt, I bet some of the Big shooters at the IDPA Nationals shot guns without the Mag Safety on!!

Y

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I normally don't waste much time with rules - If I want to play the game, I'll play by the rules - no worries there....but I bought my M&P and it had the mag safety already removed...plus a trigger job... I'm not putting one back in to shoot a match - that's just a personal decision. I'm not sure it's a deal breaker for me not to ever try IDPA....maybe I'll shoot the M&P 45 in CDP when it hits the market next year....

·
Registered
533 Posts
Bryan W said:
I normally don't waste much time with rules - If I want to play the game, I'll play by the rules - no worries there....but I bought my M&P and it had the mag safety already removed...plus a trigger job... I'm not putting one back in to shoot a match - that's just a personal decision. I'm not sure it's a deal breaker for me not to ever try IDPA....maybe I'll shoot the M&P 45 in CDP when it hits the market next year....

I a gree, the M&P 45 is going to be a great CDP Pistol!!

This Mag Safety Issue won't be a deal Breaker for me either, but IMHO, I don't think IDPA will get too much into is as this is not going to be a rule that will be easily enforced. I know of at least 5 M&P's that left the factory without mag Safety or Laser Etched Warning on the Slide.

Y

·
Registered
270 Posts
Guys, for the most part of it, I don't think anyone is going to make a fuss about the removed mag safety. We have a couple of shooters in our club running M&Ps and no one ever inquired about anything.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i-SHOT said:
Guys, for the most part of it, I don't think anyone is going to make a fuss about the removed mag safety. We have a couple of shooters in our club running M&Ps and no one ever inquired about anything.

Makes sense to me - thanks for the info

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi All,

Most SO's would not know, most would not care to know, if you have the slide refinished the safety notice is gone :wink: My M&P 40 has no mag safe or notice, does have 3lb trigger.

Regards,

Dean Brevit

·
Registered
373 Posts
I wonder if it would be practical for IDPA to just change the rule about removal of factory safeties EXCEPT magazine safeties? That wouldn't do any harm and would fix it for the Smith shooters of all breeds AND the Browning HP guys who can improve trigger pull by doing that.

Just a quick thought. There may be reasons otherwise, but I can see a difference between a mag safety and a grip safety as far as handling goes. Well, sorta of.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Guys, may I introduce to you a dear friend Dean Brevit, one of the most prolific shooters in IDPA and also one of the very few IDPA 5-Gun Masters. Also, one of the early SO Instructors in the sport.

A good number of us took IDPA classes with Dean years ago and he is still one of the best one-on-one instructors around. You wanna know the ins and outs of IDPA, he's your man. One of the best stage designers without question.

Dean was running the M&P before it became 'fashionable' and it was he who got me hooked on it.

Welcome to the board, brother and am looking forward to your input as always.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts