MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading another post on here and got side tracked off to the IDPA website.

I have a couple of questions if any of you shoot IDPA and can answer these...

1. It looks like all I need is the IDPA membership to be eligible to compete (besides the hardware, holster, etc.). Correct, or do I need to join something else too?

2. What kind of ammo count should I plan on taking if I decide to compete?

3. It says "full charge service ammo". Meaning HP style defensive ammo, or will cheaper RN ammo work? I reload too, so could I take reloads, or does it need to be factory?

I think I am going to go to a local match either this weekend or next, so I should be able to fill in the gaps by talking with the range operators and competitors there, but any advance answers and tips would be appreciated.

·
Registered
130 Posts
mrb302 said:
I was reading another post on here and got side tracked off to the IDPA website.

I have a couple of questions if any of you shoot IDPA and can answer these...

1. It looks like all I need is the IDPA membership to be eligible to compete (besides the hardware, holster, etc.). Correct, or do I need to join something else too?

2. What kind of ammo count should I plan on taking if I decide to compete?

3. It says "full charge service ammo". Meaning HP style defensive ammo, or will cheaper RN ammo work? I reload too, so could I take reloads, or does it need to be factory?

I think I am going to go to a local match either this weekend or next, so I should be able to fill in the gaps by talking with the range operators and competitors there, but any advance answers and tips would be appreciated.

1 - Almost all clubs will let you compete in 1 or 2 matches without being a member of IDPA. If you like it you should ask at the club or go to the IDPA website and join.

2 - Most matches are usually 80-100 rounds but always nice to have extra. And at some clubs there is time to shoot a 2nd time if you'd like.

3- Ammo you use for practice is perfectly fine as as well as reloads. You can check power factor on IDPA website.

Have fun and let us know how you liked the match. Feel free to ask any other ?s you have.

·
Registered
97 Posts
No other memberships required. As a matter of fact I think you can do a match without having an IDPA membership. After that you are supposed to be IDPA member... most local clubs don't check.

You can go to www.idpa.com to check more of the rules... of the ammo allowed you DON'T need defensive $$$ ammo. Regular target or reloads are fine... just can't be "light" loads.

My one piece of advice: don't go to a match without first going to some practices. You NEED to know how to handle a gun on the move safetly. It's amazing how many new (and not so new)people run with the muzzle flopping all over the place and can't get their finger out of the trigger guard when reloading, etc. You don't want to be learning at a match. BE SAFE!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Most clubs offer a brief safety training before a match for new shooters. They will also work with you through the match. Just go and hve fun!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts