MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally shot my M+P in an IDPA match. Usually shooting Sigs or HK's I was in the middle of the pack. Well I took 1st in class and 1st overall in the latest match. I attribute this to some professional training, a Dan Burwell trigger job, and the M+P 9mm full size.

As far as the trigger job, I have been shooting the gun for a while since I got it back. I liked the trigger a lot, but I had asked for a 4.5-5 lb pull and when I got the gun it seemed as if it was closer to 3.5 lbs. or lighter. I figured, oh well... competition, and not for carry. So the other day a guy at the range had a digital meter and I asked to use it. Imagine my pleasure when it measured 4 lbs 13 ozs. I asked several people to try and they all came in withing an oz. of each other. Needless to say I was pleased before and now I am very, very pleased.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hey man, That's awesome on your placement. Congrats!

I am a newb so i figure I'll ask you as I didn't find it under the Burwell forums.... What exactly is his Trigger Job?

sorry for the newb question but I've been trying to find out exactly.

-Cameron

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, just click on his website and you can see and read about his work. Very nice guy and easy to work with.

·
Registered
937 Posts
The guys at my range looked at me funny when I showed up with my M&P 40. Of course, all of them use either Glock 9mm or 1911's. I had a sadistic pleasure this past weekend in watching two Glock users jam their guns pretty good. One had to beat his against a fake wall to get it to eject a live round. The other seemed like bad hand-loads or something. Aside from my own screw-up in my first round three weeks ago (loaded max of 15 :oops: and the mag didn't seat) I haven't had a single issue with my M&P in the shoots. Geez it points nice. Now, if I could just settle down to make my shots count... :roll:

·
Registered
257 Posts
FieroCDSP said:
I had a sadistic pleasure this past weekend in watching two Glock users jam their guns pretty good. One had to beat his against a fake wall to get it to eject a live round.

Was the casing all mangled? The only time I've needed more than a tap/ rack to clear a jam was when the casing was all FUBAR....

I don't ask because I think Glocks are perfect or something...I just wonder what did that, and if it was something that would have done the same thing in another gun?

Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To be honest, I have seen fewer and fewer problems with most modern guns over the last three years. Even the 1911's are chugging along very well. In fact the only one that is a guarantee jam every month is a Steyr. I'm not sure if it's a testament to manufacturers or whether it's a function of people taking more interest in keeping there guns running.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Was the casing all mangled? The only time I've needed more than a tap/ rack to clear a jam was when the casing was all FUBAR

I don't know. Obviously the RO's didn't clear the line until the live round was ejected. I didn't bother to ask what happened as there were quite a few people shooting, and time was short.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Anyone out there shoot IDPA in the People's Republic of Maryland?? I would love to get involved in some competitive shooting or at least find a place to shoot something other than paper under flourescent lights

Thanks for any ideas on somewhere fun to shoot.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Maryland

chefdog said:
Anyone out there shoot IDPA in the People's Republic of Maryland?? I would love to get involved in some competitive shooting or at least find a place to shoot something other than paper under flourescent lights
I hate having to drive 2 hours to VA to have a pleasant day outside shooting some some steel targets in mini-matches against my dad. BUT, i LOVE beating him and his $800 Sig with my new MP9

Thanks for any ideas on somewhere fun to shoot.

What part of Maryland are you from?

Did you check IDPA website? There are 3 clubs listed in Maryland. http://www.idpa.com/clublist.asp?state=MD and 7 in VA http://www.idpa.com/clublist.asp?state=VA

USPSA lists 2 clubs in Eastern Maryland and 4 clubs in VA (one though is down because of a fire). http://www.uspsa8.org/clubs.htm

·
Registered
763 Posts
Thanks Dragon,

Sometimes the obvious just skips my feeble mind. IDPA website says there's a club not too far from me
(Greater Annapolis area). Once again, good tips from you guys.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm very close to Annapolis and would like to shoot I.D.P.A .

I have never shot competition , i'm new to the shooting world. lol

Just sent I.D.P.A my membership payment.

I'll have to do a search for that range.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am going to Thurmont on the 17th for an IDPA shoot. Anne Arundel Fish and Game has the IDPA shoots down in Annapolis area.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Its nice to hear there are some other shooters around the area. Any of you guys ever shoot ath the Maryland small arms range in Upper Marlboro? I've gone a few times, it's a decent place to shoot, nothing fancy, but pretty cheap too.

I did look up the Anne Arundel Fish and Game site and that place looks cool. If anybody's been to that range, please let me know what you think about it.

On a different note, anybody have a Maryland CCW?? Man, the restrictions are ridiculous

·
Registered
42 Posts
chefdog said:
Its nice to hear there are some other shooters around the area. Any of you guys ever shoot ath the Maryland small arms range in Upper Marlboro? I've gone a few times, it's a decent place to shoot, nothing fancy, but pretty cheap too.

I did look up the Anne Arundel Fish and Game site and that place looks cool. If anybody's been to that range, please let me know what you think about it.

On a different note, anybody have a Maryland CCW?? Man, the restrictions are ridiculous

I took the SO course down there a few years ago. Seems like a nice range, I think Paul Bowling still runs the matches. He is a good guy. I have only shot matches up in Thurmont. Very nice group of shooters, very friendly and non-testosteronial. People go there to have a safe, fun match, not just to win a match. They are having the classifier on the 17th. I will definitely take my M&P and I may try my Model 10 for fun.

·
Registered
763 Posts
RJP,

Thanks for the reply. I'm really interested in checking out the Fish and Game range. It looks like what i've been looking for. Now if I can just figure out how to get off work on the weekends when the rest of the world is out having fun!?

Where is Thurmont??

·
Registered
42 Posts
chefdog said:
RJP,

Thanks for the reply. I'm really interested in checking out the Fish and Game range. It looks like what i've been looking for. Now if I can just figure out how to get off work on the weekends when the rest of the world is out having fun!?

Where is Thurmont??

I believe AA Fish and Game runs a match on Friday mornings as well as on weekends. Thurmont is out towards Western Maryland out I-70. About an hour from Baltimore. I work on Sunday mornings so I miss alot of matches. That's why I like Thurmont. It's on the third Tuesday at 2pm.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Citius said:
I finally shot my M+P in an IDPA match. Usually shooting Sigs or HK's I was in the middle of the pack. Well I took 1st in class and 1st overall in the latest match. I attribute this to some professional training, a Dan Burwell trigger job, and the M+P 9mm full size.

As far as the trigger job, I have been shooting the gun for a while since I got it back. I liked the trigger a lot, but I had asked for a 4.5-5 lb pull and when I got the gun it seemed as if it was closer to 3.5 lbs. or lighter. I figured, oh well... competition, and not for carry. So the other day a guy at the range had a digital meter and I asked to use it. Imagine my pleasure when it measured 4 lbs 13 ozs. I asked several people to try and they all came in withing an oz. of each other. Needless to say I was pleased before and now I am very, very pleased.
What class is the M&P in?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts