MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how many of you guys would of got the .40 instead of the 9mm if you could do your m&p purchase again. I am leaning to get the 9mm but wondering if I'll regret it later wishing I got the .40. This gun will be for home defense and mostly for range use, with a once in a while CCW. I hear there is more recoil on the .40 but is still very minimal compared to the 9mm so the other only negative would be ammo price at the range but thats around $2-3 more per box. Anything else i should be aware of to compare one over the other aside from the obvious?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I carry both 9 and .40 for self defense. As long as it fires I'm happy. My main gun is my .40. I like the bigger round. If I could only have one I would pick the .40.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had the same concern. I have shot both side by side (brother has the 9mm).....if you're deal is more range shooting then the 9mm, if your're looking for Home Defense then go with the .40. I find there to be minimal difference in recoil as the MP is a soft shooting gun.

It's the law in Kennesaw!

XD-9 SC

SW MP 40 Service

http://www.rense.com/general9/gunlaw.htm

·
Registered
36 Posts
choochboost said:
Since it is for the home and mostly range with only minimal carry, there's no doubt in my mind I would go with 9mm if I were you.

I would agree. Caliber and capacity are no substitute for accuracy. But hey, if you second guess your first decision on caliber, it just gives you an excuse to pick up both :wink: Then you can carry the one you shoot better. I've got a M&P 45 waiting for me to pick up, & have been contemplating getting a 9mm for more range fun. I have more than enough 40's which I love & I have one of my 1911's dedicated for the home invasion door prize 8) so my M&P is just for the sake I liked it & it will just be taken to the range.

Rob $.02

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
excuse me for my ignorance but how is a 9mm more fun to shoot at the range over a .40 once you take out the recoil factor since folks say its not noticeable between two calibers. Also most claim both are accurate in same way too. What am I missing?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I got the full size 40 first - then picked up the 9c -

I have read many posts from people who have shot both - and say there is not much difference in felt recoil -

I shot both of my M&Ps on Tuesday - they is a fairly big difference IMHO - Follow up shots (for me) are much easier with the 9mm - and as a result better accuracy and speed -

I really had a hard time choosing - 9c or 40c - I think I made the right call -

BTW I was shooting 115 gr 9mm and 165 gr 40 caliber - both WWB.

·
Registered
259 Posts
gwave969 said:
excuse me for my ignorance but how is a 9mm more fun to shoot at the range over a .40 once you take out the recoil factor since folks say its not noticeable between two calibers. Also most claim both are accurate in same way too. What am I missing?
ammo is cheaper, so you can shoot more for less money= more fun to shoot

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I bought the 9 then the 40. There is a difference in recoil which makes the 9 a bit faster back on target. I practice with the 9 for economy and use the 40 for IPSC shoots to score major. They feel close enough to each other that practice with one = practice with the other. At $50 per thousand cost difference 10,000 rounds pays for the 9. That is just over a year at my present rate of shooting. Either will put a BG down if you hit properly. The 40 might be a bit better in Black Bear country where I spend some time.

Buy one and have fun. :twisted:

·
Registered
270 Posts
.40 Rules!

--

Mike

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just picked up my M&P 40 on Friday. I have the 9 and 9c. We will see how it goes. Wish I had of picked it up it up when they first came out and were $150 cheaper. But I am happy with my purchase. Will get it registered and take it to the range next week.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I struggled with the 9mm versus .40 question but eventually went with the 9 fullsize and 9c instead mainly for carry and range use. I figured that I would skip over the .40 in favor of the .45 for home defense. Don't get me wrong, the .40 is a great caliber, especially in the M&P line, I just figured that the 9mm/.45 combination gave me the best of both worlds and very manageable recoil. I'm sure that others would argue to go with the .40 instead of either the 9mm or the .45 for the same reason (best of both worlds) but it really comes down to personal preference.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I went ahead and got the 40. I've owned a Beretta 8357 Cougar for about 8 years now, and that 357 SIG round kicks like a mule out of a 3 inch barrel. I guess that's why the M&P 40 was my first choice. After a few times at the range with it, my next one will be an M&P40c. There's not near as much recoil out of the M&P40 as there is with that Beretta.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Let see, hmmmmmmmm I did get a 40...
No question in my mind to what I wanted, I see there is a lil bit of doubt in some of 9mm brethren... :wink: Its OK, you still own an M&P.

J/K folks...

·
Registered
56 Posts
I purchased the 9C but if i had to do again i would get the 40C to carry! but the 9 is cheaper ammo to shoot Bass Pro is selling a box of 50 for 8.00!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I already had a .45 (1911) and a 9X18, so I chose the 9mm. Nothing like variety. I guess a .40 would help with that though... Dang! now I have to get one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Nope, 9mm all the way

I already have the best 40 cal in the world for personal defense (Sig P229) so the 9mm was a no brainer. If the M&P was my only gun I would carry a baseball bat for personal defense. Since I live in Massachusetts that is the only way I could defend myself with the M&P unaltered since the 10 lb trigger is totally useless and I do notwant to defend my alterations in court. I know, it is my right, perogative, etc to do what I want to any gun I own, but the law here is run by people that no longer have any concept of Liberty or Freedom and I will not take that chance.

So 9mm it is for me..... and sorry for the soapbox!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Everything I've come to learn over the last few years has led me to believe that, with the proper selection in ammunition, 9mm can be just about as effective as the best .40 out there. The gap in performance is close enough to be neglible IMHO. San Diego PD, Orlando PD, Chicago PD, NYPD, and Tulsa PD all have been using various forms of the 9mm with great success. I'm sure there are more out there but I haven't bothered to look them up. The point is, I think that the two can be close enough that either is going to be a valid choice and other factors such as cost to shoot, ability to shoot, etc should determine which you choose.

Oh yeah...to answer the question...I just picked up my M&P9 and haven't had a second thought. My current CCW is a Glock 19. :wink:

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I asked a Florida State Trooper about the 9 and he said get the 40, so forty it is for me. The wife has a full size 9 and I love it but, the 40 is mine :wink:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts