MP-Pistol Forum banner

I'll buy the MP 45 instead of the 1911....

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  MrApathy 
#1 ·
I have been considering buying a 1911 45 caliber for myself in the not too distant future but after taking my wifes new S.A. 45, Micro Compact to the range yesterday for the 1st time, I think I'll be buying the MP 45 when it comes out. After she spent over $900.00, out the door, on her 1911 and we hear it can be tuned by a gun smith for several hundred more dollars and it will shoot great! :smt022 Both my MP's (a 40 caliber & a 9mm compact) shoot great right out of the box for a lot less money.:smt023

I may change my mind later after we have fired this one a little more. I know the 1911 platform is a great but I think I have just gotten used to my Plastic Fantastics. :wink:

#3 ·
What's not working on her 1911?

Also, the 1911 works better in general as a full-size, so don't take a compact as indicative of the breed.

Frankly, SA's 1911s more or less need a good extractor, and that's about it. For reliability anyway. Triggers could use some work, but they will make it go boom.

#7 ·
raz-0 said:

Also, the 1911 works better in general as a full-size, so don't take a compact as indicative of the breed.

Frankly, SA's 1911s more or less need a good extractor, and that's about it. For reliability anyway. Triggers could use some work, but they will make it go boom.

I have a couple SA 1911's and I have to agree with raz-0. Their extractors are not very good.

A new "quality" extractor will do a lot for a SA 1911.

I also agree the compact 1911 platform has a lot to be desired.

IAShooter

#8 ·
Makes me love my MP's even more!!!!!

raz-0 said:

Actually everything on the 1911 is working. We know a guy that rebuilds 1911's that told us he could tune it up and personalize it to my wifes needs. Whatever that means. We both shot a Norinco, Comander style, that had been customized by the owners husband (a gunsmith) and it shot like dream. Since then we have both wanted one just like it. I have recently invested in the two S & W, MP's that I really like.

When shooting the S.A. Micro Compact it didn't really feel right to me because I was so used to the feel of my MP's. My accuracy with the MP's was much better. I'm sure I could do as well with a full sized 1911, which is what I would buy for myself, after a bit of practice.

Another problem I have with a 1911 (especially the compacts) is breaking them down and putting them back together to clean. This little M.C. is a P.I.T.A. to take apart & put back together. I had seven pistols to clean today that we shot at the range yesterday. I cleaned the 1st two in less that thirty minutes and the S.A. Micro Compact took nearly two hours and three calls to S.A. customer service. I've had no experience with 1911's and this thing was totally different than any pistol I've ever cleaned before. I was on the verge of taking it back to the gun store where we bought it and trade it in at a large monetary loss. The directions were just stupid to almost non existent. As with most manufacturers way to much red ink explaining safety over & over and explaining the rediculous lawyer locks & not enough black ink explaining the functioning.

The lady at S.A. customer service was extremely nice and helpful. She even said she would give me her cell number but I would never disturb her by calling her like that. But it was a very nice jesture. Hopefully, thanks to her help, from now on I can take this little beast down and put it back together with out blowing my stack! :twisted:

Another reason is cost. The 1911 cost as much as I paid for both my MP's. I can't see paying another $900.00 for a 45 caliber when I can buy one for much less in a platform I already know I like and can shoot. And my MP40 holds 15+1 rounds and the MP 9mm compact holds 12+1. The 1911 compact only holds 6+1. Seemed like we were constantly loading magazines. :roll:

Sorry, I didn't mean to get so long winded. :oops:

#9 ·
Yeah. I'm currently running a 1911 and and as soon as the M&P .45 is released, I'm scoring one. I'll let Burwell or Bowie have his way with the trigger. If it approaches the 1911 trigger feel, well, that'll be pretty sweet. I doubt I'll dump the 1911, but if the M&P can get me 90% of the way toward the feel of a 1911, well, we'll have to see. The idea of an easily maintained "1911" is very appealing.

#10 ·
I have an M&P 40, which is easy to break down and clean. I also have a brand new Kimber Pro Carry II in 45, which is an absolute dream to shoot and a PITA to break down to clean.

However, the Kimber fits my hand better and I am much more accurate at the range with it. Less muzzle flip and easier for follow on shots for me, especially double tap practice.

I like them both and will keep them. I always have enjoyed the easy M&P breakdown for cleaning. But, I shot the Kimber, brand new out of the box better than I have shot the M&P after + 800 rounds . Not much better, just a little better. But better is always good when it comes to shooting, women and whiskey.

tjq

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.