MP-Pistol Forum banner

I'm eager to get a REAL holster... CTAC? VM2?

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Loner 
#1 ·
I'm stuck with the decision here, but I'm going a little crazy carrying in a sub-par Uncle Mike's holster....

Is the CTAC as good as the VM2 at comfort and concealment? Those are my 2 main requirements.

------------Pros

VM2:

all leather

snapping belt loops (probably more secure than clips?)

reputation for quality and comfort... that probably equates to good concealment

ability to get it with clips for shirt tucking*

quiet draw, because it is all leather

CTAC:

Kydex - low maintenance and long life

adjustable ride height/cant

shirt tucking clips that attach to the belt

low wait time

------------Cons

VM2:

leather maintenance/wear, after years (not a huge issue)

not usable as a tucking holster, without the plastic clips

*the plastic clips do NOT hold onto the belt!

long wait time

CTAC:

Kydex is not as nice as leather

drawing is less discrete, with the plastic noise

I did not mention the pros that were the same for each holster (wide clip arrangement for stability, low profile, etc.). I am not concerned with the price difference.

Let's say there may be 10 times per year when it would be inappropriate to have my shirt untucked. Maybe I will be so dissappointed with the appearance of any holster when tucking a shirt that I will never want to do it? If that were the case, I'd get the VM2. It wouldn't be an issue if Milt had just designed the VM2 with a rear belt loop like the front (a low cut tab, so that a shirt could be tucked). I don't mind having clips over my belt, as long as the holster is stable because of that.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#3 ·
There's a couple more things to think about, with the VM2, I have been told you have to thread your belt through the loops to put it on and take it off. Also, the CTAC is slimmer than the VM2.

The CTAC can be carried easily and successfully with a tucked shirt. I have a realtor friend that carries a USPC that way every day.

As I've said before, I didn't find the CTAC comfortable in the configuration it came in from Comp-Tac. I had to "make" it comfortable and now I'm a very happy camper. :wink:

#4 ·
ShooterMcGavin, I think both of the holsters you mentioned are great holsters. I have heard many outstanding remarks about the VM2. There is a pretty long waiting period involved in getting one I think.

I would also like to try and make your choice just a bit harder also. One of the Sponsors here (a new one) is K&D Holsters. I have one holster made by them for my little Kel-tec P3AT, and Kevin did a superb job on it. He is an artist, who uses leather. He will work with you and make you just about anything you want. I have a Cochise Defender on order with him right now for my M&P .40c. I can hardly wait to get it. There is also a waiting period involved with getting a holster from him, but I don't believe it is as long as for the VM2. Here is a link to their site and the Cochise Defender, http://kdholsters.com/basefile/iwb-defend.html . If you are at all interested, give Kevin a call. He is a real nice guy to talk with and you can tell he likes what he is doing!!

If I can answer any more questions please just ask.

Ron

Here are a couple pics of the holster K&D Holsters made for my KT.

#6 ·
choochboost said:
There's a couple more things to think about, with the VM2, I have been told you have to thread your belt through the loops to put it on and take it off. Also, the CTAC is slimmer than the VM2.

The CTAC can be carried easily and successfully with a tucked shirt. I have a realtor friend that carries a USPC that way every day.

As I've said before, I didn't find the CTAC comfortable in the configuration it came in from Comp-Tac. I had to "make" it comfortable and now I'm a very happy camper. :wink:
The loops snap open and closed on the VM2. Of course if you have the proper sized loops to go with the belt it is not the easiest thing in the world to get them snapped back on but it is doable.

#8 ·
I defiantly prefer leather and like to position at about 4:30. Been sporting a vm2 (commander sized 1911) for several years and love it, but now need a new rig for this M&P compact.

Currently examining all options...

#9 ·
You can do what I'm doing. Order the VM2 and CTAC. If you like the CTAC; you can sell the VM2 when it arrives 16-22 weeks from now. They don't charge your card until it ships and because they are in such high demand. You won't be at a loss. In fact, you may be able to make a small profit.

If you like the VM2; keep them both or sell the CTAC.

Good luck with your decission.

#10 ·
UPSguy said:
[quote name='choochboost']There's a couple more things to think about, with the VM2, I have been told you have to thread your belt through the loops to put it on and take it off. Also, the CTAC is slimmer than the VM2.

The loops snap open and closed on the VM2. Of course if you have the proper sized loops to go with the belt it is not the easiest thing in the world to get them snapped back on but it is doable.[/quote]

I heard that fastening and unfastening the snaps was virtually impossible which is why I had been told you have to thread it on to your belt.

#11 ·
My guess is that those talking about how hard it is to do might have forgotten they are one way snaps. Just a guess though. I have a problem too until I remove my head from that dark place and do it correctly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.