MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my M&P 40 and read the manual as well as hearing from this forum that it needs to be cleaned or degreased or somthing before I take it to the range. What all do I need to do for the initial cleaning?

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Field strip it and clean the gunk out with something like M-Pro7 and rags, patches, Q-tips, whatever. You could also run a few patches through the bore too if you want. Then lube according to the manual and go blast.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Use a name brand gun cleaner and then wipe dry and lube with a name brand oil as per the manual. Then go have fun!

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Birchwood spray solvent works well for just spraying the gunk out. Wally world carries it. There are 2 types, safe for plastic and stronger stuff for metals. I use both. A wet patch of Hoppes #9 through the barrel folowed by at least one dry patch. Then a bit of Rem Oil in the spots indicated in the manual and you should be good to go.

I follow up with a silicone cloth rubdown to shine it up all over. The solvent leaves it dry looking.

Good luck and enjoy.

:twisted:

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
coltman1985 said:
Use a name brand gun cleaner and then wipe dry and lube with a name brand oil as per the manual.

+1 for "the people who wrote the manual probably know what they're talking about"

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Exactly what the other memebers have stated and you cant go wrong.

·
Registered
564 Posts
firemedic96 said:
I just got my M&P 40 and read the manual as well as hearing from this forum that it needs to be cleaned or degreased or somthing before I take it to the range. What all do I need to do for the initial cleaning?

Thanks for bringing this up. I was just thinking about this issue.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I found my .40c was quite dirty before using it for the first time. I'll just say that it was the dirtiest it ever was and will be

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Everyone has told me to clean the gunk out. Does that mean clean the slide, barrel and spring. What all will need to have gunk cleaned out of it?

·
Registered
937 Posts
There are a lot of small crevases in the frame that are hard to get at. I'm adventurous when it comes to mechanical things, so detail stripping a brand new gun is not really a fear of mine Most of those small spaces you can get with either a Q-tip or by detail stripping the thing. Definitely pull the striker assembly out and wipe it down.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
firemedic96 said:
Everyone has told me to clean the gunk out. Does that mean clean the slide, barrel and spring. What all will need to have gunk cleaned out of it?
Remove whatever gunk you can find from anywhere.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Remove the slide rom the gun as per the directions. FLip it over and on the under-side, you'll see a silver buttong (the striker safety) and the striker itself. Push the button in and the striker will be able to be moved forward some. If you look closely at the striker, you'll see an exposed portion of the striker sleeve (it's white plastic) directly under the sear surface of the striker. Use a large paper-clip that you straighten (or a flat precision screw driver) to push that plastic piece towards the front of the slide while you're holding the button in. It should recess almost to be flush with the metal. Now hold it there with one hand and pull the back-plate of the slide (the piece that always faces you when shooting) down off of the slide. The plastic sleeve and striker should come out when you push the silver button in again. If anything binds, Don't force it!! It's a logical piece of machinery. IF it binds there should be a fixable reason.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After I remove the striker should I take it apart to and clean it. I was told to wipe it down. What should that consist of? Should I just wipe off the outside of the spring. What all should I do for cleaning the striker?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts