MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Getting ready to pick up my M&P next Wednesday and plan to give it a good cleaning before I head to the range. Went out and bought Break Free CLP in the aerosol can and Break Free's foaming bore cleaner. Planning to use the bore foam as instructed, spray and use patches to get the bore foam out. I bought a bore snake as well, I always had good luck with bore snakes with my 12 guage shotguns. Anyone have anything bad to say about the bore snakes for pistols? Then I'll use CLP to treat the bore, chamber, and slide. Can I use CLP on the polymer body? Or should I just stick with treating the slide, barrel, and chamber with CLP? I had done a little searching around here for what everyone else was using, seems CLP was fairly popluar, just want to make sure I'm not using it where I shouldn't on the gun. Thanks!

·
Registered
257 Posts
don't worry about it...put some lube on it where the manual says to, then go and shoot it.

once it's dirty, you can go nuts on it with the cleaners and lube.

i watch these guns and many other go right off the shelf, and into the range. they run fine most of the time...sometimes you get a stovepipe, put in a drop or two of oil, and keep on shooting.

if the barrel is wet to the touch with oil, it'll shoot just fine. it's not a rifle you're shooting at 100+ yards, so as long as the bore isn't left dirty for long periods of time, you don't need to get too involved with it.

keep it lubed, clean off the gunk and powder where it accumulates, and enjoy it.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I would definitely clean it before the first range visit. Some of those pistols come pretty nasty from the factory.

·
Registered
257 Posts
choochboost said:
I would definitely clean it before the first range visit. Some of those pistols come pretty nasty from the factory.
I've yet to see one need more than a drop of oil to run off the shelf. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
S&W put some kind of brown alien grease on my three M&Ps. I had to clean them all twice to get it all off. I'd say clean and lube before use my $0.02

·
Registered
69 Posts
My gun came with the empty casing in a little envelope, but more than 1 round was definitely tested. I'm guessing someone had a field day with my gun, because the barrel had enough residue for a magazines worth of firing.

The receiver also had a bit of residue. I would have cleaned it regardless, but after cleaning it and oiling it, it functioned fine (I'm thinking it would have functioned fine in the first place). No problems thus far (~800 rounds)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I dont remember if its my taurus manual or my S&W one but they mention cleaning before first shooting because they put some long storage/anti corrosion stuff on the guns. It doesnt have the best lubricating qualities but does prevent rusting and such.

Im sure it will fire but would be good to clean er up once and luber.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I'm sure someone will say it's overkill, but I prefer to detail strip my guns right after I buy them, or immediately after the first range trip. Cleaning the preservative and machining gunk out is my first priority, becoming very, very, very.....intimate...... with it is my second.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Clean it well and lube it well.. CLP alone is not sufficient lube. Any good gun oil will do. I tend to overlube during the break in period.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CLP is not a sufficient lube? Alright. So I should use CLP for exterior slide and chamber cleaning? Break Free says you can use CLP as a bore lubricant, but what else do you suggest as a bore lube and to lube the points S&W suggests if CLP isn't sufficient? Sounds to me CLP is a good cleaner, throw it on first to get remove foreign particles, what is everyone using to lube the bore and action?

Also, what are everyone's thoughts on the boresnake? I obviously wouldn't use this prior to my first range trip, no need, just looking for a general consensus. I've never used a bore snake on anything other than shotguns.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Personally, and I stress personally, since everyone has different opinions about this I find CLP to be an adequate cleaner, and lube, and a very good protectant. I clean with MP Pro 7 which I think is a better cleaner, and I lube with Rem Oil or whatever high quality gun oil I have on hand such as Militec. Bore snake is just fine for cleaning your barrel. Spray some cleaner in there, let it do its job, and run the bore snake through. if you are using lead bullets its probably a different story but i don't so I can't speak to that.

To minimize your effort I think it's fine to use CLP for cleaning and protectant but get some Rem oil (its cheap at Wal-Mart) for lubing the contact points Smith describes in the manual.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I'm not a boresnake kind of guy. I prefer the bore rod with a brass bore brush, patches, and a jag.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My gun was gross from the factory. I didn't even want to shoot it with all the gunk in the barrel.

I took a good amount of crud out of it, and I would recomend cleaning before using. Lets just say that its the dirtiest my gun has ever been.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Steelshooter said:
I clean with MP Pro 7 which I think is a better cleaner, and I lube with Rem Oil or whatever high quality gun oil I have on hand such as Militec.

To minimize your effort I think it's fine to use CLP for cleaning and protectant but get some Rem oil (its cheap at Wal-Mart) for lubing the contact points Smith describes in the manual.

Rem Oil is very thin, and evaporates faster than and other lube I've seen. I do use it to clean guns, though. I just spray some on a patch, and wipe stuff away with it.

I honestly feel that it is the worst lube on the market.

I don't think you need any "bore lube"...again, it's not a benchrest rifle. I spray a bronze brush with Rem Oil, run i through the bore a few times...then hit a patch with a touch of Rem Oil, then shove it down the bore. That stuff will evaporate quickly...it's not there as a lube, it's there to keep the metal from pitting. This is all I do for my personal guns.

Unless your gun is visibly dirty, or dry...your good.

If I'm cleaning a gun I left dirty for a long period of time (I neglect my .22 rifle often) then it'll get some Hoppes solvent. But if you shoot your gun every week or so, the first round you fire will clean out anything previously left in the bore.

Part of my job is maintaining about 50 rental handguns for our range. Glocks, Sigs, XD's, M&P's, HK's, S&W revolvers, Beretta's, BHP's, 1911's...etc. When lubed with Rem Oil, they're dry again after 1 rental and 2 boxes of ammo. When lubed with CLP, they go a little longer. When lubed with a 20 weight synthetic motor oil...they're still wet 500 rounds later. What crud is left on them is easy to clean off, as it isn't fully hardened.

These guns frequently go thousands of rounds or more between cleanings, and all run fine.

They typically get the visible gunk hit with a nylon/ bronze brush...then the metal parts dropped in an ultrasonic tank (pretty much a hot water bath, which leaves them about as dirty as they went in) the frames get a wet plastic brush, then a paper towel to wipe off the residue. The barrel come out, get dried, then lubed on the outside wear points. The slides get wiped off/ dried. Any remaining gunk gets scraped off with a dental pick...the lube goes on the slide rails if need be (only on the metal frame guns)..then they're back together. If they look like crap, they get a rag with Rem Oil wiped over them.

No fancy solvents, almost no attention to the bore (if they get a wet patch down the tube once a week they're lucky), just oil where they need it, and the gunk cleared out the actions.

No malfunctions, no rust, no pitting. Now I'm not advocating running guns this hard...but it goes to show you how forgiving these weapons systems are. A high end 1911 would choke if we tried to run it under these conditions...but pretty much any of these service type handguns will run well with nothing but a clean action and a little oil where need be.

If using 3 different cleaners, a fancy high dollar lube, a bore lens to look for copper in the lands and grooves, detail stripping, and white glove inspections make you happy...go for it! But your not gonna get much out of doing that other than a really shinny gun and a buzz from breathing in all those cleaners.

·
Registered
257 Posts
ToddG said:
[quote name='Gamisou'] Lets just say that its the dirtiest my gun has ever been.

Not mine.

[/quote]

Not bad! Still looks a little wet...bet you didn't need anything but a little oil and elbow grease to clean that off.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts