MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I unfortunately have, like several other posters, experienced the "unintentional mag release" problem with my M&P compact. Notwithstanding the contributing issues of incorrectly manufactured mag release parts, improper grip, etc., I was wondering if it would be possible to have a stronger mag catch spring installed to make the mag release more resistant to unintentional releasing.

I perceive that with both of my M&Ps the amount of force and depression required to get the mag to be released is much smaller than any of the other autoloaders I own. It seems to me like my Glock needs about twice the amount of force on the mag release button to get the mag to release as compared with my M&P.

Please let me know if it would be practical and possible to perform this type of work.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Nope, it cannot be done. The spring is molded into the frame so the spring cannot be replaced.

This could be solved by changing the mag release a bit to put more pressure on the spring but I haven't had the time lately to play with alternative approaches.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Dan Burwell said:
Nope, it cannot be done. The spring is molded into the frame so the spring cannot be replaced.

This could be solved by changing the mag release a bit to put more pressure on the spring but I haven't had the time lately to play with alternative approaches.

Dan, have you had time to look at this since? I believe the mag release on the M&P (I have the compact if you'll recall) should be stiffer and I think it's contributing to the problem some are having with the mag dropping while firing.

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=4263

·
Registered
24 Posts
Dan - are you sure it is actually molded into the frame/mag well, and won't just pull out like the one on a Glock? If so, a stiffer wire could possibly be used as a replacement.

I agree with some of the others that the mag is a little too easy to release to suit me. About a month ago I order a replacement mag release button and was going to trim it down so that it would be a harder to depress accidently, and fill in a portion of the notch that the spring fits into so that the spring would actually be pretentioned more and thus stiffer.

Also, it takes only 1mm of inward movement to release the mag, which might be great for a competition gun, but is a bit scary on a gun you would carry for defense. This leads me to belive that the metal shelf on the mag release is not large enough. S&W said, at the time I placed the order, that they showed plenty of them in the bin and available. A few days later I get a letter from them saying that they had none and it was back ordered. Do you or anyone else know if a revision is in the works and that perhaps this is why the bin was suddenly empty.

TEX

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm getting confused. I called Smith & Wesson on Wednesday because I planned on buying a 9c on Friday. I told them the only thing that was keeping me from buying it was the mag spring and how it's actually molded into the frame. The tech told me that this is simply NOT THE CASE and it can indeed be changed. I haven't tried to pull mine out but it sure looks like it's molded in. HMMMM.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
deltasource said:
I told them the only thing that was keeping me from buying it was the mag spring and how it's actually molded into the frame. The tech told me that this is simply NOT THE CASE and it can indeed be changed.
If you asked me about the "mag spring" I would have given you the same answer.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
choochboost said:
[quote name='deltasource']I told them the only thing that was keeping me from buying it was the mag spring and how it's actually molded into the frame. The tech told me that this is simply NOT THE CASE and it can indeed be changed.
If you asked me about the "mag spring" I would have given you the same answer.[/quote]

Saddly, Chooch points out where specific questions will get you specific answers.

I'm pretty sure you meant to say the mag release spring is molded into the frame.

A more specific answer then Chooch's, is that it is impossible to have the mag spring molded to the frame, because it is in the magazine, not the gun.

ETA: had to fix some small grammar stuffs, as it is hard to read on my tv =x

·
Registered
18 Posts
My bad. I worded it incorrectly. I spoke to two techs in the past two days at S&W and they both told me the same thing...the mag release spring can be taken out of the frame. One of the techs says "It'd be pretty stupid to mold it because we'd have to replace the entire frame." I asked how it comes out because it clearly looks like it's molded (you can see it coming through the plastic in the mag well). He didn't give me a straight answer but assured me it could be done. Does anyone have a straight answer for this? Are the S&W techs just not sure of this and only telling me what I want to hear? Has anyone ever removed this? It's not part of the exploited view. So lame if it's molded in.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Look in the magwell from the bottom and you will see the bottom portion of the thru hole the "Mag Release Spring" is pressed into. Although I have not had occasion to do so, I expect with an appropriate tool the spring wire can be pressed out (from bottom to top). A new wire could then be pressed in. If a brave individual wished to risk a bit the hole could be drilled slightly larger and a larger diameter piano wire inserted. i am not reccomending that you do this, I'm merely speculating. Roughing up the portion inserted in the plastic should lock it in place.

Enjoy

:twisted:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the info. I did notice the bottom of the spring peaking through the bottom. I figure it probably could be banged out with the right tool but S&W didn't even include this piece of their exploited view. I believe if it was truly removable, it would show it. It still blows my mind that Smith would design it like this.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
It might be able to be punched out. I'm not sure.

I pulled very hard on it from the top and it didn't budge.

Interesting thought on the drilling out for larger spring stock. :idea:

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
so is the problem the spring is weak, or the mag catch metal is to soft? I hear two different things, I think. I have been wanting a .40c since the full size was announced but i have been weary since all of the mag drop issues.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
first rule of gunsmithing always tweak the cheapest parts first.

Don't go screwing with your frame, work over the mag catch. I have two different tweaks one adds more engagement to cure the mag drop another increases the spring pressure, neither requires playing with the frame.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Dan Burwell said:

Don't go screwing with your frame, work over the mag catch. I have two different tweaks one adds more engagement to cure the mag drop another increases the spring pressure, neither requires playing with the frame.

Well, I hope you are communicating your fixes to S&W Dan because folks should not have to send their guns to a private gunsmith (and pay more $) to fix what should have been addressed at the factory from the get-go particularly since the problem with the mag catch and spring is happening all too frequently. I don't doubt that your work may solve the problem/s and they are serious problems. My only complaint is that this stuff should have been solved by S&W not you. And yes, you do nice work.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Kraigster414 said:
Well, I hope you are communicating your fixes to S&W Dan because folks should not have to send their guns to a private gunsmith (and pay more $) to fix what should have been addressed at the factory from the get-go particularly since the problem with the mag catch and spring is happening all too frequently. I don't doubt that your work may solve the problem/s and they are serious problems. My only complaint is that this stuff should have been solved by S&W not you. And yes, you do nice work.
I cannot say I have had the conversation with the correct people but I did talk with some of the guys up there about this.

I 100% agree with your statement as you know I don't like to fix S&Ws problems but I will if I have a gun here for something and a problem arrises. No one should send me their gun to fix a problem that is covered under warranty.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Dan Burwell said:
[quote name='Kraigster414']Well, I hope you are communicating your fixes to S&W Dan because folks should not have to send their guns to a private gunsmith (and pay more $) to fix what should have been addressed at the factory from the get-go particularly since the problem with the mag catch and spring is happening all too frequently. I don't doubt that your work may solve the problem/s and they are serious problems. My only complaint is that this stuff should have been solved by S&W not you. And yes, you do nice work.
I cannot say I have had the conversation with the correct people but I did talk with some of the guys up there about this.

I 100% agree with your statement as you know I don't like to fix S&Ws problems but I will if I have a gun here for something and a problem arrises. No one should send me their gun to fix a problem that is covered under warranty.[/quote]

Roger that. Let's just hope that the problem with the mag catch and its spring gets solved once and for all. Way overdue at this point and I cannot help but think it is impacting on sales. I have had many people mention it to me outside of this forum, experienced the problem myself to the point where I could not rely on my M&Pc for carry, and witnessed two shooters at the range with the same issue. As I result, I am holding off on purchasing another M&P until I am reasonably assured the problem has been successfully addressed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Dan Burwell said:

Hey Dan, any tutorials or instructions on how to do either of these mods? I found your PDFs quite helpful. Thanks in advance!

It still blows my mind that the mag release spring is molded into the frame. WOW. My G26 is calling to have a nice new mag release spring to be installed.

·
Registered
638 Posts
deltasource said:
[quote name='Dan Burwell']first rule of gunsmithing always tweak the cheapest parts first.

Hey Dan, any tutorials or instructions on how to do either of these mods? I found your PDFs quite helpful. Thanks in advance!

It still blows my mind that the mag release spring is molded into the frame. WOW. My G26 is calling to have a nice new mag release spring to be installed.[/quote]

It blows MY mind that S&W wouldn't take Dan's mods to heart and make the [email protected]#$ fixes now BEFORE the M&P's leave the factory and wind-up on the retailer's shelves.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Kraigster414 said:
It blows MY mind that S&W wouldn't take Dan's mods to heart and make the [email protected]#$ fixes now BEFORE the M&P's leave the factory and wind-up on the retailer's shelves.

Dude, seriously. You keep saying this over and over again here and on at least one other forum. What evidence do you have that the problem hasn't been fixed? Has a gun from the last six months of production been reported with this problem? Has a gun from the last three months? The last month?

Or do you think Mike Golden is going to send you a personal letter when they've addressed the issue?

You're angry at Smith for the problem some people, including you, had with the mag release. We get it already! What kind of gratification do you get from complaining about it over and over and over again?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts