MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a full size 9mm m&p and have recently been looking at getting a ccw. I love my full size and carry it OWB almost every day. I am a heavier set fellow so a full size conceal may be a bit hard. Most of the guys at the gun store I go to say that the .40 is pretty snappy but then others say it's perfect. Most of them like the 9mm shield. They run 399.99 for either one at the store I go to. If any shield owners, from both calibers, have any suggestions or tips, they would be very appreciated.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from Alabama.

I really like my 9mm Slield but have never fired a .40 Shield so can not compare the two.

I did own a Glock 27 .40 and like the function and accuracy but not the stubby grip. It was pretty "snappy" with the short grip.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Oregon! I had the choice of either when I bought my Shield. I decided on the 9mm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for replying! I was considering the 9mm more than the .40 just because I wanna have a 9mm m&p "family". I almost have enough saved to purchase a shield and may get the 9mm. My friend told me that a shooting range about 40 minutes away rents out both calibers and I may take that drive to go and test them both out.

·
Registered
410 Posts
If you have the option to rent before you buy I would. Getting a feel for which platform is going to fit you better is a good option. I feel the 40 would be to snappy for me however I have yet to shoot either option so I honestly cannot say.

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
It seems a large majority of these 9mm fanbois, having never even fired a M&P40 Shield, have decided they're too "snappy". Actual M&P40 Shield owners almost invariably report that the felt recoil is not objectionable, certainly not much more than the 9mm variant. Having owned and shot both, I chose the M&P40 Shield as my warm weather everyday carry weapon, and currently find myself preferring it in cooler weather also. Still prefer the long slides for home defense, and open/3-gun competition, but have little use for either of the f/s 4.25" M&P40s we still own.

Of course, both Shields offer shorter barrels, and both lose about 70ft/lbs of energy with the heavier (read: lower recoiling) bullets commonly used in these lighter defensive weapons. The smallest of duty calibers just doesn't have that much energy to spare, especially against heavier winter clothing

·
Registered
69 Posts
I considered both but went with the 9. The deciding factor for me was diversity of ammo. When and if the SHTF, who knows which caliber I'll be able to find. I do not find the recoil in my SD40VE to be too bad but it is a bigger, heavier gun than the shield.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I don't own both, as I chose the .40 caliber as my EDC. Like KR, my Shield was going to be my warm weather daily carry, but has become my EDC regardless of weather conditions.

Now having said that, I do get to shoot both calibers out of a Shield on a real regular basis, as a buddy of mine has a Shield in 9mm with the Apex DCEK. I can report that the .40 is snappier, but not by much.

I prefer the "feel" of the .40 caliber recoil more than that of the 9mm, and can get back on target at about the same speed with either. Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
If you have at least decided to get a Shield for CCW, I would go ahead and order a holster for it. The quality manufactures usually have a long lead time. The Shield is an easy OWB concealment weapon.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had the first Shield in my area. There was only the 9mm when they first came out. My then girlfriend got a 40S&W so we traded. She took the 9mm and I the 40. I have since sold the 40 and got a second 9mm. Ammo and magazine compatibility between the two made more sense, since she is now my wife.

So I think you know my answer. With the improvements in bullet designs, there isn't much practical difference between the two calibers.

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
With the improvements in bullet designs, there isn't much practical difference between the two calibers.
Yet we all know there is a difference.

If 9mm bullet design occurred in a vacuum you might have a point. Since much of this "improvement" was initiated on 40S&W platforms (Federal and Speer, for those lucrative LE contracts) it doesn't make much sense to suggest these improvements follow some preferential bent toward the diminutive 9mm, while offering little/less to more substantial duty calibers, now does it?
Let's face it, duty caliber handguns are inadequate as man stoppers. Your wording suggests you realize that these modern 9mm bullets are still less capable than modern 45ACP and modern 40S&W bullets. Might I suggest... especially from a shorter barrel, against heavier winter clothing.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I considered both but went with the 9. The deciding factor for me was diversity of ammo. When and if the SHTF, who knows which caliber I'll be able to find. I do not find the recoil in my SD40VE to be too bad but it is a bigger, heavier gun than the shield.

Well during the last ammo scare 9 was non existent and 40 was still fairly available. So I went with the 40 for that reason as well as I just don't care for a 9mm. As for recoil I shot both prior to purchase and the difference is almost non existent.

·
Registered
138 Posts
9mm or 40

My experience with 9 vs 40 occurred in another brand that is the same weight and length as the shield. I liked the 9 so much I bought the 40 after I gave the 9 to a granddaughter. The 40 has a much sharper recoil than the 9 (like being hit in the hand with a stick) but it did not bother me until I broke a bone in my right hand. When it healed, I fired 3 rounds with the 40 and immediately put it up for sale. The pain was severe. I bought the 9 Shield and LOVE it.

I suggest that you test fire both if possible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow. Thank you guys so much for all of your opinions and tips! Ive never been so welcomed and helped to a forum before ! I never put much thought into round size vs thickness of clothing. As I live in Washington state, it rains and snows 9 months of the year and everyone is bundled up in thick jackets and pants. In my full sized 9mm I use Hornady critical defense and I enjoy that. What kind of ammunition do you guys carry in your everyday? I will take most of your advice and go rent the guns before I try to make up my mind. Thank you all once again! :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
I stick to name brand JHP's. Rem Golden Saber is my preference. Feeds well. Never been overly concerned with penetration, wound channel, etc. I recommend you find something that feeds well with your chosen pistol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Have you guys ever gotten ahold of any rip rounds? I have heard about those and watched a video about them and they seem pretty good but very pricey.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Yes Bill just put you on the right track in a helpful sort of way. My 9fs I carry 124gr standard pressure gold dots and in my 45 I carry winchester pdx-1 230gr. There is a lot of hyped ammo out there and rip is one of them. In my 9 I will only carry speer gold dots or federal hst ammo though federal is much harder to get a hold of in my area so I have a nice stock pile of the gold dots instead.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I shot my friends Shield 9 and .40. I was more accurate and quicker to reacquire the target with the 9. I already had a CZ75B 9mm and it just made sense to have the same ammo for both guns. 9mm is also cheaper. Add the fact that the 9 holds an extra rd and it was an easy decision for me. You'll find a lot of opinions out their that a .40 really isn't that much better than a 9 as far as tissue damage it will cause especially using HP's. Knocking over metal plates and shooting through windshields, a .40 is probably better. Of course you find those that argue .40 is the only way to go....

and another Federal 124gr HST user here for SD rounds.:yes

1 - 20 of 31 Posts