·
Registered
217 Posts
Interesting discussion it was.

Thanks for the link!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
It will take a while to win over all the Glock Kool-Aid drinkers, but most will come to our side!

·
Registered
100 Posts
nice. I agree with most posts. M&P owns the Glock. I am selling my Glock 19 once I bought an M&P. I didnt even plan on the M&P but I got a sweet price, so I bought it on the spot. Best decision ever made. I love shooting 10x more, 10x accurate, and it looks 10x much better.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
M&P has caused me to lose my interest in both Glocks and Sigs which is quite an achievement. My 1911's are hanging on for nostalgic reasons.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I carry a Glock 22 on duty, and a Glock 23 or 27 off, because this is what we are allowed at this

time ( along with Smith revolvers approved for back up or off duty ). I like my new M&P 9, and

would not hesitate to carry the 40 cal. version for duty or off duty. I was involved in an off duty

shooting a few years ago with the 9mm, and was not impressed with the performance, so that

round is relegated to target shooting / plinking, and the M&P 9 is outstanding in that role!!!!!

This is not meant to bash the 9mm for defense. It is just my personal experience noted above

that led me to the 40 cal. for off duty carry.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A good 9mm round say a 124 grain +P is pretty darn good. But I feel better with a 165 grain .40 or a .45. The M&P design makes it easy for me to hammer out rounds quickly and accurately in either caliber.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Steelshooter said:
A good 9mm round say a 124 grain +P is pretty darn good. But I feel better with a 165 grain .40 or a .45. The M&P design makes it easy for me to hammer out rounds quickly and accurately in either caliber.

The issued round I was carrying when I got into my shooting was a very popular 124 grain +P+. I don't blame the round, as I have seen stats that this round has been very effective in LE shootings.

I just feel more comfortable ( like you ) with the .40, and coincidentally we use the 165 grain round

( Remington Golden Saber ). I hope and pray to never have to find out how this round performs.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I own both

M&P

pros

-built better, you can tell just holding both guns

-a lot less recoil

-nicer looking IMO

-great case support in the chamber

-stainless steel for the same price

-different grips

-better sights

cons

-terrible aftermarket support

-blued mags rust easy

-finish is not as strong

-trigger is not as nice

Glock

pros

-proven tests show it can shoot no matter what

-finish lasts forever

-great trigger

-great after market support

cons

-the worst barrels in the industry, forces you to spend 100 more for a decent barrel

-built cheap

-fat handle

I still haven't decided which one i like. But I carry the glock

My guns

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think M&P quality control is still more variable than Glocks.

Certainly Glock has a better finish. M&P's slide made of stainless steel is not really relevant to me since I would gladly trade Glocks finish/metal treatment for a stainless steel slide.

What do you mean by terrible aftermarket support for the M&P? Do you mean customer service from Smith or number of accessories available?

I much prefer the M&P trigger once it's broken in except the Glock has a more distinct reset.

I had not heard of rust issues with M&P mags. I don't have any. Then again I keep my mags clean inside and out. Mags and pistol are cleaned after every firing.

I very much disagree that Glock has poor barrels and have no idea why anyone would say that. I also don't know what "built cheap" means. Perhaps you could elaborate.

I much prefer shooting the M&P in .40 over say a Glock 22.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Steelshooter said:
I think M&P quality control is still more variable than Glocks.
agreed

Certainly Glock has a better finish. M&P's slide made of stainless steel is not really relevant to me since I would gladly trade Glocks finish/metal treatment for a stainless steel slide.
I was really talking about the barrel, glocks finish is better. But a stainless steel barrel is much stronger than glocks.

What do you mean by terrible aftermarket support for the M&P? Do you mean customer service from Smith or number of accessories available?

number of accessories available, holsters, barrels, 22lr kits, and so on

I much prefer the M&P trigger once it's broken in except the Glock has a more distinct reset.

Trigger I think is a matter of opinion, I shoot my glock better.

I had not heard of rust issues with M&P mags. I don't have any. Then again I keep my mags clean inside and out. Mags and pistol are cleaned after every firing.
blued metal rusts, it should be polymer or have the same finish a the slide.

I very much disagree that Glock has poor barrels and have no idea why anyone would say that.

They hold the case loose, and cause excessive case expansion.

They use unconventional hexagonal rifling so you can't use lead

They use free machining (soft) alloy which is then carbon nitrided to create a surface hardness (Tennifer Finish) but the inner core remains soft.

The glock 40 kabooms are well documented http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-kb-faq.html

I also don't know what "built cheap" means. Perhaps you could elaborate.

They have a rough finish. My came new in the box with scratches, dings, and so one. They have a big open hole in the back of the grip that you need to buy a plug.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Disagree on pretty much everything you said the Glock barrel. Oh well.

The Gun Zone Glock comments are a long way from well documented and there is a lot of bias there. Dean Speir has made a crusade of the issue. Glock kabooms are almost universally due to shooting lead (which I have no desire to do) or improperly handloaded ammunition.

Yes trigger is a matter of opinion. Thats why I said "I prefer".

I have bought lots of Glocks and have never had one come out of the box in the way you describe. Something odd about that.

The "hole" does not need to be plugged up.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Steelshooter said:
The Gun Zone Glock comments are a long way from well documented and there is a lot of bias there. Dean Speir has made a crusade of the issue.

I must respectfully disagree; Dean merely reports. I think his documentation is solid, as is his rep.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I hate the glock grip and look, but I love their mag design.

M&P wins me with everything but its magazine.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There are alot of people in both camps on Dean Speir and his opinion on Glocks. My personal opinion is that it is not an issue with factory ammunition.

"Which Glock models are affected?

Speir has documented many instances of kB!s, all of them in the Models 20 and 30-something Glock (.40 S&W, 10mm and .45 ACP). And since the introduction of the Models 30-through-36, there have been incidents of kB!s in the 357 SIG (Models 31, 32 and 33) and the .45 ACP (Models 30 and 36) pistols as well... all with reloaded or remanufactured rounds by most accounts."

Welder said:
[quote name='Steelshooter']

The Gun Zone Glock comments are a long way from well documented and there is a lot of bias there. Dean Speir has made a crusade of the issue.

I must respectfully disagree; Dean merely reports. I think his documentation is solid, as is his rep.[/quote]

·
Registered
52 Posts
Grimwulff said:
I hate the glock grip and look, but I love their mag design.

M&P wins me with everything but its magazine.

I hate the blued mag desigh of the M&P, I have no idea why they would do that. They put so much into making the gun high quality, and the slap a cheap feeling blued mag with it. It should be polymer. I wish some after market company would make one. I don't care about the range but I would like a polymer clip for carry use.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts