MP-Pistol Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Why the desire for a polymer magazine?

Polymer magazines need to be wider for the same capacity, which in turn means the pistol's grip needs to be larger. Polymer magazines don't drop free as reliably. Polymer magazines require a polymer mag catch, as a metal catch will quickly wear away at the locking notch of a polymer magazine.

There is a reason why no other gun companies use polymer mags except Glock.

The M&P mags are actually very well designed, thin, lightweight, and high capacity. If you are having problems with the finish, then complain to Smith that they need to use a different finish. Plenty of companies phosphate their magazine. You can also nickel or chrome them.

In the meantime, running a Tuff-Cloth or similar rust preventative over your mags should help them from developing any problems.

·
Registered
52 Posts
ToddG said:
Why the desire for a polymer magazine?

Polymer magazines need to be wider for the same capacity, which in turn means the pistol's grip needs to be larger. Polymer magazines don't drop free as reliably. Polymer magazines require a polymer mag catch, as a metal catch will quickly wear away at the locking notch of a polymer magazine.

There is a reason why no other gun companies use polymer mags except Glock.

The M&P mags are actually very well designed, thin, lightweight, and high capacity. If you are having problems with the finish, then complain to Smith that they need to use a different finish. Plenty of companies phosphate their magazine. You can also nickel or chrome them.

In the meantime, running a Tuff-Cloth or similar rust preventative over your mags should help them from developing any problems.

I haven't had any problems, but I have seen blued guns that are carred and they always rust over time from sweat and wear. They should at least put the smae finish that is on the barrel.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I still don't understand why anyone "hates" a certain pistol make. Nor can I comprehend why others decide their brand is the best ever made. I owe neither Glock or S&W ANYTHING. I have both an M&P and a Glock purchased three weeks apart.

I take both to the range and each has equal time. I like both for different reasons but my Glock is delegated to CCW and I suspect that the M&P will always be limited for paper use only. My decision as to which pistol excels at this time was not made on any preconceived "love" of either make but only on my own performance tests and comparisons (and also not influenced by any forum postings from glockaholics or glock-haters....it is quite easy to pick either by the outrage and insults that spew freely from both forums).

I hope that S&W improves the M&P to a degree of reliability that Glock now excels in. Competition makes for better products and all shooters will benefit.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'v seen so many mags that are worse that the M&P ones never bothered me. Seems fine to me. They do require a lot of wiping and cleaning. I'm pretty sure Mec-Gar makes them.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts