MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, at around round 200, my 9c failed to fire. At round 7 from a 10 round magazine (this is Massachusetts), I pulled the trigger and heard the distinct "click" of the striker, but no "bang." I waited for 60 seconds (in case of a hang fire) and removed the magazine and ejected the round. The round had no light strike markings on the primer, and I compared it to another, unfired round to make absolutely sure.

I then reloaded the round in the magazine, chambered the round, and fired it normally.

The ammunition was Mag-Tech, 115 fround FMJ.

Anyone else heard of this? Ammo or gun problem?

·
Registered
405 Posts
I've heard many issues with mag tech and even the one guy at my dealer had issues with it and said not to use it with the M&P.. I believe there's some complaints about it on this forum as well..usually has to do with being too tight not FTF

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Your statement is not clear.

Was there a striker indentation on the primer of any kind?

If not it can hardly be the ammo.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TOF said:
Your statement is not clear.

Was there a striker indentation on the primer of any kind?

If not it can hardly be the ammo.

No, there was no indentation that I could perceive. I would instantly agree with you if it were not for one thing: I had two similar failures to fire with Mag-Tech ammo in a .38 revolver (i.e., where I could not locate an indentation). Considering that this revolver has never had a problem firing other ammunition of any type, I have to wonder about Mag-Tech primers.

It is possible that I am jumping to conclusions, but I now have reservations about Mag-Tech. One ood thing about the primers is that they were etched with a triangle. It is possible that if there was a weak strike in the etched portion, I may have missed the indentation.

I just wanted to know if anyone out there had a similar problem.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I've used several cases worth of mag-tech .45 and .357 magnum in the past. IT ahs been very nice ammo from my experience. Only thing of note is that although pretty clean, it smells bad.

Personally, i'd remove your striker and check for moisture in the striker channel or any damage to the striker itself.

[ETA]

Also, chekc your striker channel for fouling other than moisture. When new, mine had plastic shavings in there. Since i inspected it before using it, I never had any issues, but they would have been sufficient to cause a problem... likely intermittent. Also check the firing pin hole in the breechface for any kind of buildup or distortion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
raz-0 said:
I've used several cases worth of mag-tech .45 and .357 magnum in the past. IT ahs been very nice ammo from my experience. Only thing of note is that although pretty clean, it smells bad.

Personally, i'd remove your striker and check for moisture in the striker channel or any damage to the striker itself.

[ETA]

Also, chekc your striker channel for fouling other than moisture. When new, mine had plastic shavings in there. Since i inspected it before using it, I never had any issues, but they would have been sufficient to cause a problem... likely intermittent. Also check the firing pin hole in the breechface for any kind of buildup or distortion.

Good thought. I've screwed up a few Glocks by letting oil get in the striker channel. The channel is cleaned out and I'll try for the range tomorrow.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Try blowing out the striker channel with Gun Scrubber. Do NOT put any oil in there. That may fix your problem. When my MP40 was new, I cleaned the firing pin channel with Gun Scrubbler and got some gunk out of it, probably left there during the manufacturing process.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
texagun said:
Try blowing out the striker channel with Gun Scrubber. Do NOT put any oil in there. That may fix your problem. When my MP40 was new, I cleaned the firing pin channel with Gun Scrubbler and got some gunk out of it, probably left there during the manufacturing process.

Uhh.... the striker channel is lined witha polymer sleeve. Do NOT spray regular old gunscrubber in there. That would be bad.

Polymer safe gun scrubber should be a non-issue.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Look the striker over closely for burrs or deformations that could slow the strike down especialy where it contacts the safety plunger.

Let us know your results.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts