MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have a M&P9C and carry +1 (it's how I train so), my son has a M&P9C and carries empty chamber. This has never been a problem with either of us until sometime last week.

I had to go to a forbidden zone ( public school).

Well I placed mine in the "gun safe" (a quick access sports safe), my son did the same.

When we finished the job and left school property he handed me mine and I placed it in my holster, he also re holstered his. This was WED. of last week.

On Sat I had to meet with a gentleman about a gun he wanted, my son came along as backup (witness, and actually having my back should SHTF) and that being the case he racked his slide to chamber a round. (Saw it then but didn't register).

Everything went fine and it was not an ambush (never thought it was but I was just being careful).

Came home and Sunday (2 days late cause I always clean my carry piece on Friday night), I remove the mag and rack the slide (yup, empty). I think "now that's screwy".

Proceed to wipe down the piece and then it dawns on me.

On Wed my son had accidentally switched pieces with me, so he was carrying hot and I was not.
I should have figured this out because Sat when we got back I noticed a round in the floor (remember I said I saw it) and called him to ask when he started carrying +1.

To make a long story short (yea I know, too late), from now on and I recommend this for everyone, I will check my Carry firearm anytime it has been out of my holster for any reason.

I'm just lucky I didn't need it, and just as lucky that he is mature enough and has had firearm safety drilled into his head for so long he would NEVER even point it at anyone much less pull the trigger.

Important lesson. Always check your piece. It might not be yours. :oops:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Thank you for the story dralarms!

This is a very good point to drive into every shooter and carrier's brain. I've made a habit of, when carrying, to check my roscoe for rounds in the pipe, etc, every time it's either moved from storage or I have to put it up somewhere for any reason. Even when I wake up in the morning somewhere with my carry piece, I drop the mag, rack the slide, and rechamber the round from the magazine...it's good practice and I always know the status of my firearm.

You can never be too careful when playing with firearms. Should something have happened in this situation, that's one more reason the anti-gun lobbyists would use to push their agenda, on TOP of the possibly horrific consequences.

Remember your basics

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I wanted front serrations cut into my slide. It was mostly just to add a personal touch, but there was also a practical benefit as it would help when doing a press check. When I first started inquiring about it, I was amazed at how may people mocked the idea since they considered a press check to be a silly and unnecessary exercise. As far as I'm concerned, you can't check the chamber often enough, even when you KNOW it is loaded/unloaded.

·
Registered
56 Posts
there is a hole in the top of the slide that makes it preety easy to check if it has a round in the chamber or not depending on what color the case is! i think michigan requires that now on all new guns sold in there state. i forge what they call it right now.

·
Registered
76 Posts
thanks for sharing - a great reminder. habit i've started, no matter what the situation or where, any time the gun changes hands - me to someone, someone to me, me to safe, safe to me, etc. it gets emptied and checked and if needed reloaded. taking loaded gun out of safe to go out, same routine, unload completely, verify, and reload. It helps me to think i'm always starting from a common base.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I live alone and no one else handles my guns outside the range, but even so, every time I put one on to leave the house I check to make sure both the magazine and chamber are loaded. It never hurts to be sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts