MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
did i read somewhere that the M&P.40 is not offered with the internal lock...i see alot of people dont want there gun to have one...why is this? cant you just not use it? also hows come people dont like the mag safety? The reason i ask these questions is because im trying to make a decison on what to go with myself.

Thanks

·
Registered
62 Posts
The lock has less to do with gun safety and more to do with appeasing lawyers. It is, in many people's opinion, completely unneccessary and a potential problem (another part to break). I haven't heard of any problems with them, but also haven't heard of someone actually using one.

People also dislike the mag disconnect for the reason that if, when needed, your magazine was not fully inserted or was accidentally release, your pistol would be non-functional. The mag disconnect is also annoying for those shooting IDPA, since after your firing string you have to "lower the hammer (striker as is the case with the M&P) after unloading. You cannot lower the hammer unless a mag is inserted- which poses the potnetial for an accidental discharge if a non-empty magazine is inserted instead of an empty one.

The mag disconnect type safety has been around a while. The one on the M&P is a good one, unlike the Hi-Power one which actually negatively affects the trigger pull. If it wasn't for my IDPA shooting, I'd have no problem with the disconnect on the m&P.

·
Registered
573 Posts
My M&P 9 came without the Internal Lock, but with the Mag Safety. At the time I bought it, this configuration was all the gun store had in stock. I believe the fewer "Extra" parts a weapon has, the less parts there are to break and cause a failure. That is why I ordered a new Sear Block from the M&P Store that came without the IL & MS. It came today and I installed it in about 10 minutes. As a side note..I also have a S&W 642 with the Internal Lock that I do use on occasion. Although I would prefer the gun without the lock, it hasn't had any kind of a problem in the 3 years I have owned it.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
anybody had a problem with the internal lock on their m&p .40?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I don't know anything about the M&P's, but my Ruger KP345 comes with both an internal lock and a mag safety. The internal lock was usued only three times. I was only curious. Other than that, it stays unlocked, and the keys are in their bag in the box. It's pointless and useless to me.

The mag safety never really bothered me. When I go to the range, I never shoot it without a mag inside anyway. So it's no big deal. I did, however, have a problem when I cleaned the gun and re-assembled it. I pressed the trigger by accident (just a liiiiiiiiiiiiittle bit) while re-attaching the slide to the frame in final re-assembly. THe mag release engaged, and the gun would NOT work at all. Trigger could be pulled, but hammer never struck. Also, with EMPTY mag inserted, it would do the same, and the mag would not drop. The mag release would not work. There is a small piece that jutted out from the side that had to be re-inserted. The only way to do that was to insert mag (empty), pull trigger and keep it pulled while using other hand to press piece back in, and releasing trigger at about the same time. Then, and only then would the gun function properly again. Dang thing was a pain in the arse. That's the only tme it affected me, and I didn't like that at all. Hope it never happens again.

I have heard of the rear sights being cleaned to fix this problem, but don't know how its done. But I would never do a thing like that.

·
Registered
422 Posts
mine doesn't have the internal lock but the mag disconnect. Ive read a way to bypass it. but i guess that wouldn't be good in a ccw shooting. the prosecutor would have ur ass.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My M&P40 has the internal lock and it also has the Mag disconnect, but what did you expect from a Kalifornia safe gun?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts