Yes!! Fiber optic sights are legal in IPSC production division.
16. Only handguns approved and listed on the IPSC website may be used in
17. Single-action-only handguns are prohibited. First shot must be double
action. Handguns with external hammers must be fully decocked.
Competitors in this Division who, after the issuance of the start signal and
prior to making the first shot, cock the hammer on a handgun which has a
loaded chamber, will incur one procedural penalty per occurrence. Note that
a procedural penalty will not be assessed if the first double action shot
attempted fails to discharge due to a malfunction, or in respect of courses of
fire where the ready condition requires the competitor to prepare the handgun
with an empty chamber. In these cases, the competitor may fire the first
shot single action.
18. Neither the handgun, nor any of its attachments, nor any allied equipment
(e.g. magazines or other loading devices), can extend forward of the line
illustrated in Appendix F3. Any such items a Range Officer deems not to
be in compliance must be safely and promptly adjusted, failing which Rule
18.104.22.168 will apply.
1 Minimum power factor for Major Not applicable
2 Minimum power factor for Minor 125
3 Minimum bullet weight No
4 Minimum bullet caliber / cartridge case length 9mm (0.354”) /
5 Minimum bullet caliber for Major Not applicable
6 Minimum trigger pull (see Appendix F2) 2.27 kg (5lbs) for
7 Maximum handgun size Maximum barrel
length 127mm (5”)
8 Maximum magazine length Yes, see below.
9 Maximum ammunition capacity No
10 Max. distance of handgun and mags/speed loaders
11 Rule 22.214.171.124 applies Yes
12 Restriction on position of holster and other equipment
Yes, see below.
13 Optical/electronic sights permitted No
14 Compensators permitted No
15 Ports permitted No
19. Original parts and components offered by the OFM as standard equipment,
or as an option, for a specific model handgun on the IPSC approved handgun
list are permitted, subject to the following:
19.1 Modifications to them, other than minor detailing, are prohibited.
19.2 Base plates and/or any other devices which provide additional
ammunition capacity (e.g. “+2” magazine extensions), are prohibited.
19.3 Front sights may be trimmed, adjusted and/or have sight black
20. Aftermarket parts, components and accessories are prohibited, except as follows:
20.1 Aftermarket magazines which match the external dimensions of
standard magazines offered by the OFM for the approved handgun
20.2 Aftermarket sights of the same type and kind offered by the OFM
for the approved handgun are permitted, provided their installation
and/or adjustment requires no alteration to the handgun.
20.3 Aftermarket grips which match the profile of the OFM standard for
the approved handgun and/or the application of grip tape is permitted,
however, rubber sleeves are prohibited.
21. A competitor who fails to comply with any of the requirements above will
be subject to Rule 126.96.36.199
IPSC HANDGUN RULES, JANUARY 2006 EDITION
JULY 2006 INTERPRETATIONS
11.8 Interpretation of Rules
Please note that these are interpretations issued in compliance with Rule 11.8.3 and are subject to ratification or
modification at the next IPSC Assembly.
1. In respect of Rule 4.1.1, if one or more targets at a match fail to comply exactly with the stated specifications, and if
replacement targets of the correct specifications are unavailable, the Range Master must decide whether or not the variance
is acceptable for that match, and which provisions of Section 2.3 of these rules will apply, if any. However the Range
Master's decision will only affect the match in progress, and will not serve as a precedent for future matches held at the
same location, or for any subsequent use of the subject targets at another match.
2. In respect of Rule 188.8.131.52, prior to and/or during testing, the competitor's firearm and the component parts thereof must
not be altered or modified in any way from the condition it is being used (or will be used) at the match. Violations will be
subject to Section 10.6.
3. In respect of Rule 6.6.2, the expression "all members of official Regional Teams must compete in the main match" only
applies to matches sanctioned by IPSC as Level IV or higher.
4. In respect of Rule 8.1.3, when a Handgun Ready Condition requires a handgun be prepared with an empty chamber (or
cylinder), the slide of the handgun must be fully forward (or the cylinder must be fully closed) and the hammer or striker
must be fully down or fully forward, as the case may be.
5. In respect of Rule 8.2.2, the expression "arms hanging naturally by the sides" is illustrated in Appendix F3.
6. In respect of Rule 184.108.40.206, this option may also be applied when two or more courses of fire share a common shooting
bay or area.
7. In respect of Rule 10.5.9, the exception also applies to competitors using a double-action or selective action handgun in
8. In respect of Appendix C1, Point 6©, if the popper falls for any external reason (e.g. wind action), before it can be
calibrated, Section 4.6 will apply, and a reshoot must be ordered.
9. In respect of Appendix D4, Point 19.1, the expression "minor detailing" means the removal of burrs and/or adjustments
unavoidably required in order to fit replacement OFM parts and components.
10. In respect of Appendix D4, Point 19.1, prohibited modifications also include those which facilitate faster reloading
(e.g. flared, enlarged or add-on magwells, etc.).
11. In respect of Appendix D4 Point 20.2, the expression "same type and kind" means "any open sights" (see Rule220.127.116.11).
12. In respect of references to the term "allied equipment", this means holsters, magazines, speed loading devices and/or
their respective pouches.