MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one is interesting, shooting the star with moving no shoots behind it! Lots of ammo expended!!!!

On the right side, click on The Evil Oregon Star

http://www.downrange.tv/player2.htm

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Oddly enough, as a shooter, I'd love to shoot it.

However, from the perspective of running a match, I wouldn't want it on a stage. It's a huge timesink and that causes squads to back up. Which sucks for the shooter, but also sucks for anyone who regularly helps tear down and put away all the toys. There is also too much opportunity for rules lawyering and gaming of the stage in a manner that could upset the order of match finish simply based on how big an ass you are prepared to be compared to the next guy.

The biggest concern would be people claiming that splatter were hits. Which technically would be true under the rules... for some splatter. I would not want to start arguing what splatter counts as a hit, and what does not. The same argument applies to arguing what are not hits on the no-shoots. What counts as a hit and what is splatter? EVen starting that argument is a recipie for further backlog. On top of that, it may very well make scores bounce around by +/- 20 points or more and +/- 10 seconds depending on skill level and how oen tr4ies to game it. AT that point, it becomes a matter of gaming the rules with regards to math and manipulating ROs rather than gaming the rules with regards to shooting.

Even as a compeitor I'm not fond of a stage where it pays to take a shot in the vague direction of a target or skip it completely and pick up the time. It is afterall a SHOOTING sport. I'm also not fond of sitting around on my ass waiting for people to finish shooting a stage forever. I'm also not fond of scores that don't tell you anything other than one stage had something really wrong with it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Mostly I echo Raz-0's comments, and also it would IMPOSSIBLE to score fairly. The most basic of problems is the failure to engage issue. Lets say the competitor takes the minium of 9 shots required and all the steel is down but one paper target has 2 hits, and one has none. The shooter gets two misses, but does he get a failure to engage? Who knows .. he shot enough rounds but where they at steel or paper? Even if the RO was watching carefully he won't be able to fairly determine at which paper target the shooter aimed at, one, both or none because it would hard to track which was where. It is also unfair to the shooter without color coding the targets because how can the shooter keep track of which one he shot at and which one still needs attention?. Its really cute, but it is a carnival prop. I think the T* has some practical applications, but this thing not so much. While it would be fun to shoot at once, as a shooter it doesn't particularly stresses or test any one set of skills so even for practice, I wouldn't use it much, and as a match director I would bend it in half, burn it, and bury it in the woods behind the berms because it would a nightmare.

I do gotta give it points for being a clever mechanical gadget.

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its really cute, but it is a carnival prop.
That kind of echo's my thoughts, it's a crazy thing meant to drive the shooters to distraction!

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Do you start from top to bottom, vise verse? I dont remember from the video, but either way you need to be quick about it...

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Normally on a star you start at the top, you want as little movement as possible, and normally taking out the top plate means no movement. From what I've seen previously the star isn't moving, it's animated only by plates being shot off and changing the balance point, but this star is animated before the shooter even starts, I guess that's why they call it the "Evil Oregon Star"!

·
Registered
84 Posts
With the normal star you always start from the top, even if it starts stationary or moving. Around here we start ours moving, mostly by activating it by opening a door or a port which you can not bypass before you get to it. When it is moving it is even more important to shoot it top down, always shooting whatever plate is near the top. Doing so, you change the balance of the star and slow it down because gravity is your friend. If you shoot any bottom plates while there are plates up top, you will accelerate it because the top heavy star wants to spin. I've seen new shooters shoot the bottom plates (even if they were adviced not to) and getting the thing to spin so fast you could almost feel the breeze it was generating. I've also seen a lot of new shooters run out of ammo trying to tame it. Hell, I've done once or twice myself many years ago.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts