MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a full-size MP40 that has been perfect with several hundred rounds down the tube. I'm now thinking I might need to get an MP9C to replace some other compacts that I currently carry. However, while searching this forum I see that many folks are still complaining about Mags dropping out of their guns, slides locking back prematurely, FTE's, FTF's, etc. And to complicate the situtation, sending the guns back to S&W seems to result in about a 50% chance of getting your gun fixed...at least on the first try. And who wants to put up with that? Well, you get the picture. It just seems to me that MOST of the problems are occuring with the Compact models. So.............is it safe to jump into the water and get wet yet, or should I wait another 6 months or so to see if S&W resolves some of these problems in future guns? :roll:

Honest opinions appreciated!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Most problems are occurring with the compact model? To me it looks to be the other way around. In all actuality the amount of problems S&W is having is very very small in relation to the total number of new M&Ps they are selling. On a forum there looks like more problems because people having problems look forums up, those without don't. Still percentage wise the problems are very very low, and I have no doubt S&W will make any problems right. 660 rounds out of my M&P40c and it's still flawless.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'm extremely happy with my M&P9c. It's got 750 rounds through it and counting without any stoppages!

Also, MPL**** serial. They're already in the MPN and MPO series productions, iirc (perhaps farther?), so I'm willing to bet that the mag catch problem has already been corrected in the new frames coming off the line. Someone stated here that they're installing the newer, more resilient mag catches currently.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Mine was produced in December '06...I don't know how quickly they're popping them out, but knowing that they're in P****+ gives me a better idea

[edit]

Reading the Serial breakdown thread, FALbert has a MPT****. S&W is producing quite a few of these.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the useful information to those of you who have posted helpful information. And thanks for all the private messages relating to your experience with these guns. Especially helpful is the serial number info relating to problems. I think if the problems get worked out, these guns will really be a viable alternative to the other polymer guns on the market.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
texagun said:
Thanks for all the useful information to those of you who have posted helpful information. And thanks for all the private messages relating to your experience with these guns. Especially helpful is the serial number info relating to problems. I think if the problems get worked out, these guns will really be a viable alternative to the other polymer guns on the market.

I think so too. Unfortunately all the talk about the issues forced me to buy a G26 for summer carry a few months ago. I realize that the internet seems to magnify a problem and I somewhat regret buying the G26 because I know I'm going to turn around and buy a M&P9c before too long.

Knowing what I know now I would rather buy the M&P9c and and work through the mag drop issue because I know that when S&W cleans up these problems I'd have the gun I want.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
But you have to remember, the guns with issues are in the minority.

Chances are, you will get one that will be fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 9c (serial # mpl2xxx) has one minor glitch, in that the slide has locked open with one round left in the mag. It has only done this once or twice in 400 rounds. I understand the reason this occurs has to do with the slide stop mechanism so my solution was to order up a backup mechanism ($12.50) and while I was at it I had Smith send a free mag release button/assembly. According to Smith they feel they have the bugs worked out of these 2 parts. So basically for less than $15.00 I should be covered regarding the two issues that concerned me. Not a bad deal, I'm very happy with the gun, we'll see how she goes. I guess I liken it to a car. You can have a great car and still have an occasional bad part.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is it time? I'd say you're a little late. The free mags offer just ended. I'd still get one. Buds had great prices. My 9c is great. I'm going for the big brother next before Klinton gets in office and repeals the 2nd amendment

1 - 18 of 18 Posts