MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if seller is a service man?

Recently I came across this thread in other forum that one member was offered a used Para PX745E(unknown round has been shot through it) for $650 from serviceman who is heading off to iraq shortly. This serviceman claimed that he paid over $800 BN. He was asking if he should buy it for that price.

Now I have Para PX745S(Same gun as for sale gun, except its Stainless, where as gun in question is blued) that i have bought recently BN $725, and saw PX745E was stickered at $675

So i suggeseted that I would offer $550, then settle at $600, which I thought it would be more then fair offer.

Well, they (the site administrater) banned me today until 5/7 saying "How about you don't try to lowball a service member?"

And admin left thread to original poster "give him the money and get a good deal on the gun"

Now I have nothing but at most respect for our boys and girls overthere who are fighting for not just our freedom, but everybody's freedom.

But i honestly see nothing wrong for offer a counter offer for original offer which is to me is somewhat higher then a fair. Serviceman or not.

I didn't think what i suggested was "lowball"ing. I mean its not like I suggested him to offer can of sardine for it or anyting like that. And at $600 would have been an excellent price for the gun, for both seller and perspectivve buyer in my opinion

Am I wrong to suggest to offer a counter offer just because seller is a serviceman?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't think you were wrong to suggest negotiating at all. You certainly were not lowballing. $200 is lowballing. The concern of how many rounds had been through it is legitimate. The soldier would likely be embarrassed or even angry that someone else is dictating who he can sell his gun to. Maybe the soldier priced it high expecting to have to come down a bit. Who knows.

Of the freedoms that this soldier is fighting for, the free market is just as important as freedom of speech. This is just one small example of that free market.

In short, no, I don't think you were wrong. I think the moderators were in the wrong, but that's just my humble opinion (having served myself).

And may God bless those guys and gals over there . . . .

·
Registered
367 Posts
If the site doesn't condone offers/negotiations then I'd shop somewhere else and tell them (admins) that. It wasn't THR was it? I find a lot of good deals over there and everyone is great to deal with.

·
Registered
72 Posts
IMHO it all depends on how the offer was made/handled

I have no problem when someone offers me less...I ususally just thank them nicely and move on

What gets a little old is the "it is only worth $$$" or "what is your best price"

Or...the ever popular "I can buy it for $$$ here"

Don't get me started on the bozos that come out and say the deal is a bad one

I generally appreciate it if the negotiating is done via PM and not in the thread though

IMO posts in the thread are for "I'll take it" or requests for more pics, info, etc

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
if some one sees im about to buy in on a bad deal please speak up.the seller might not like it but i would

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
I can't see anything wrong with your offer. I am prior service and wouldn't care at all..

On that note, all offers should be kept to PM or email for that reason, and also keeping from the site turning into an auction.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Yeah I forgot to mention the etiquette involved. If they want 1000 for a Jennings then that is what it's worth to them but it can't hurt to PM and say "I would give 850 for it if you decide to lower the price".

Definitely don't say "It's not worth that" (maybe to you, not them) or "I can get on on GB for $50".

Where was this? You can PM me with that if you want to avoid it being in the forum. I'm just curious. Doesn't sound like THR unless you did it in the thread. They hate that, but you can 'offer away' via PM or email.

Again, I don't think you were out of line unless you had a crappy tone or lack of tact.

BTW I do actually have a Jennings J-22 in chrome (usually makes it about 25 rnds before malfunctioning), about 75% finish, that would be for sale for $5000. I'm not joking.

Good example of people ask for what its worth to them, screw everyone else.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This was over at one of 1911 forum I go to.

Wat it went was that one member asked us basically is $650 was a good deal(seller is not member of this perticuler forum).

So i suggested to the perspective buyer that what I would do.

then they banned me.

I've had many issue with this perticuler forum since day one (i got banned once for saying "I still can't shoot for worth a crap").

So i think i'm just gonna simply not gonna deal with this forum.

I know there are tons of 1911 forum i can go to anyhow...

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Not to hijack your thread, but I would ban you just for poor grammar alone! Kidding. Am I banned for that?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Wow

Banned for making an offer.. I don't know to many folks that put there stuff up for sale at the Price they really want to get 8) Most folks add a bit and then come down to what they want, and if they can get a little more then they want.. great.

I'm missing something, it sounded like you were making a suggestion on how this guy should bid on buying the weapon? so you made a suggestion, you didn't make a bid for the weapon.

It's up to that other member to decide how he wants to bid to the Service man. So why ban you for making a suggestion on a business transaction ? hmm..

Frankly after the forums response i'd just not go there anymore.

My Son was in Iraq during the inital investment, and my Nephew is over there now.. I might cut them a little slack on buying something but i'm not going to bankrupt myself or pay stupid prices just cause he's a service man..

Good luck.

Mouse...

·
Registered
257 Posts
it's not wrong if to offer what something is worth to you.

nothing wrong with being polite and saying "i know what you wanna get out of it, but it's really only worth this much to me...you're call."

if your polite and honest...nothing wrong with throwing a low bid. they can refuse it, and it's just 2 guys being honest.

if your intent was to sneak away with paying a less than fair price, then you've answered your own question.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Being banned for making a low offer seems excessive to me. I hope we have the whole story here.

When I make an offer, I don't offer low in hopes to meet in the middle.

If I was willing to pay $600 for the gun, I would have offered $600.

But I realize some people like to try to deal a lot more than I do. I have made offers before that sellers turned down. Later I decided to pay the sellers price; and the transactions went very smooth.

I really think there must be something more with at least 2 of the 3 parties involved with this case:

-Buyer

-Seller

-Admin

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ditto , as a vet myself I'd kind of be dissappointed if you hadn't tried to dicker . From living oversea and working with alot of Truks , its almost a mark of manhood being able to haggle .

·
Registered
910 Posts
As a current member of the US Military who's been to Iraq, Afghanistan, etc. several times I wouldn't give a damn if you lowball'ed me, and the fact that you got banned for that is utter BS.

Sorry you got banned, but it doesn't sound like you're losing out on much by not being a member of that forum anymore.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If it was 1911forum then you were banned simply because you talked about gun sales....they have zero sense of humor about that

"if some one sees im about to buy in on a bad deal please speak up.the seller might not like it but i would"

As long as they do it via PM it is all good :wink:

I don't mind lower offers...but I do mind when people get irate

I price my weapons to sell...so I rarely take anything less and I generally get my price

But there is always somebody that asks for the "best price" or makes a lowball offer and then whines when I (respectfully) pass

My favorites are the guys who make me a lowball offer and then when I respond by saying it is sold they get all hot-n-bothered that I would sell it while we were "negotiating"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts