MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering concealed carry, but I am a bit worried that the comfort of IWB will stop me from doing it most of the time. So, is it possible to actually conceal the M&P with a OWB high rise holster of some kind? If anyone has one, will you please share your thoughts.

THanks.

·
Registered
373 Posts
http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=687

A place to start. Concealment is a matter of clothing choice or options as much as holster choice. I plan around both. I have carried bigger guns than an MP concealed. There is, I think, a high rise leather holster at the M and P store on this site that looks like it might be one you might be talking about, but several makers do this same style both with and without a thumbreak. I have no personal experience with it, I prefer straight drop Kydex OWBs for most all of my carry...though I do have to dress for it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
With the right holster and right cover garment, it can be done w/o issues. Get a good holster. For *my* money, leather seems to work better. That's not to say the kydex can't work.

Where the holster rides also makes a difference. For instance, wearing it at 4:30 as opposed to 3 o'clock will conceal better... until you bend over at the waist.

Don't be afraid to go OWB, but understand you will have to experiment a little.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I'm using the S&W hi-rise from their site made by Desantis. It sticks to my ribs and cannot be seen. It's very comfortable and I often forget I have it on. My partner has to poke me to be sure its there. I also have a McDaniel from Andrews leather IWB thats great. Right holser for the right get-up is important!

See this post http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=373 Lots of choices.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am 5'-10", 140 lbs (skinny) I carry my M&P9 in a safariland 3 slot pancake holster (made for my Sig 229) owb with no problems at all. I have just ordered a Comp-Tac C.T.A.C. for use with the M&P (I have one for all of my Glocks, and I love it) I prefer IWB over OWB, but I do not feel like I am printing when I carry OWB, of course, I don't really pay much attention to it either, I learned a very long time ago that 99.9% of people dont pay that close attention to notice you printing, and if they do, most think it is a cell phone or something.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Don't rule out IWB, though, if you have not tried it. I liked the Comptact C-TAC for my full size HK USP .45 so much that I got one for my XD9 and also for my MP40 (What can I say? I have different "gun day moods" :oops: ). I have not found it to be uncomfortable as long as I wear a t-shirt underneath to shield me from the kydex. And, horrors of horrors, I don't even wear it with a mall ninja wilderness tactical gun belt either!

It is comfortable enough that it is my "around the house" holster too. I just usually take off the outer shirt and leave the t-shirt on. I can even safely answer the door dressed like this if I keep it at the 4 o'clock position and turn slightly as I open the door.

I actually find the C-TAC is more comfortable WITH the gun in it than without for some reason I haven't exactly figured out yet.

Just for reference, I'm a big guy, 6'4", 330 lbs of rock hard computer programmer.
(But I have the reflexes of a cat. Garfield, yes, but a cat nonetheless).

·
Registered
73 Posts
Almost as important or perhaps a bit more is buying a quality gun belt. It will make a huge difference is keeping the gun pulled in tight to your body.

Steve

·
Registered
168 Posts
Mall ninja issues aside, I find the Wilderness 5-stitch very much to my liking day-in, day-out. The way a holster rides on them is simply a plus. Get it in "coyote" if black os too tactical.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
OWB is the only way I carry. I cannot stand a muzzle in my hip all day. I use a Bluman gunleather THR holster with one of his thin belts that has a polymer insert that makes it very stiff but is slim enough that no one can tell its a gun belt. I almost alyway have my full size M&P on my side and I am not big guy by any means 5'10 170 lbs. I do prefer looser shirts anyway so keeping it conceled is not a problem.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the continued imput. I posted this in hopes of getting lots of opinions...and sure enough here they are. For a belt I am giving serious consideration to a leather belt made by Rafters...I have read good things about them and they are relatively cheap for a good product.

On the holsters side of things, as many of you mentioned I will probably have to get an OWB and an IWB. My OWB is not yet decided but I am leaning towards the Comp Tac Infidel (kind of an updated C.TAC).

I have read much about Mr. Burwell and his pistol smith skills (and being a great guy according to this site), I will have to check out the Bulman holsters. (And hopefully send in the M&P for a slide melt and media blasting).

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
the desantis holster made for the m&p is a great owb holster. it rides high with two draw angles.it comes with or without thumb break.mines the speed scabard no break and i love it.carries good under loose shirt.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Tsquare said:
I am 5'-10", 140 lbs (skinny) I carry my M&P9 in a safariland 3 slot pancake holster (made for my Sig 229) owb with no problems at all. I have just ordered a Comp-Tac C.T.A.C. for use with the M&P (I have one for all of my Glocks, and I love it) I prefer IWB over OWB, but I do not feel like I am printing when I carry OWB, of course, I don't really pay much attention to it either, I learned a very long time ago that 99.9% of people dont pay that close attention to notice you printing, and if they do, most think it is a cell phone or something.
Ha, 5'6" at 135 here :wink: . I use the C-T.A.C. I like the looks of the OWB leather holsters but I can't bring myself to spend the money when the C-T.A.C works very well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I used to carry exclusively OWB until I got my Bladetech IWB holster . It was mainly that I couldn't find an IWB holster that was comfortable (I'm 5'8" 250 , thus a charter member of the Fred G Sanford body build club) . Wheher you choose OWB or IWB depends alot on proper holster selection and the willingnes to adjust your attire properly .

·
Registered
208 Posts
snscott said:
Just for reference, I'm a big guy, 6'4", 330 lbs of rock hard computer programmer.
(But I have the reflexes of a cat. Garfield, yes, but a cat nonetheless).

Are you my long lost twin?
I'm 6'5", 340 lbs of rock hard gov't public service worker!

·
Registered
257 Posts
readyme said:
I am considering concealed carry, but I am a bit worried that the comfort of IWB will stop me from doing it most of the time. So, is it possible to actually conceal the M&P with a OWB high rise holster of some kind? If anyone has one, will you please share your thoughts.

THanks.

I wear a 1911, OWB in a Desantis Speed Scabbard. It just means it's that much further you can't let your shirt ride up.

I find I wear my pants higher, and my shirts longer. It works, but if you can find a IWB you like, I think it'll be more versatile for you (in terms of what you can get away wearing it with).

FWIW, I'm 6'2", 150lbs, and boney as all hell...it isn't to easy concealing anything on my waist line, but it's still do-able...just gotta be concious of how you bend over and all.

·
Registered
119 Posts
+2 on the Desantis high ride OWB. I wear it everyday and nobody seems the wiser. 5'10" @ 165. A good belt is a great decision.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm not sold on it yet. I bought a Fobus paddle holster today for my 1911, and unless I wear a ridiculously long shirt the gun and holster are visible when I raise my arms up slightly. The gun shops I frequent all seem to be out of Galco Royal Guard IWB holsters.

My G32 concealed quite nicely in one.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts