MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't had the opportunity to see one yet, but I wonder if it is small enough to be considered a pocket gun. How does it compare in size to a J-frame, for example? Anyone have pictures of both side-by-side?

Often, the only practical way for me to carry is in the pocket, and it would be great if I could carry the M&P compact this way.

·
Registered
270 Posts
In my opinion the M&P compact is not a pocket gun.It is small enough to conceal in a IWB holster or a OWB slide holster etc.

·
Registered
109 Posts
pocketable

I will try to take some of both later this weekend but the compact is not pocketable in anything but a large cargo or coat pocket. I use my Kahr PM9 or S&W 340 pd for that if I can't carry in a holster. The compact is very slightly longer overall than a Glock 26. It's a little over half an inch shorter than a 19 in length and about an inch shorter in height.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The 9c is coat-pocketable, but not pants pocketable.

One of my vests has a hidden pocket that makes the 9c dissapear

as long as it has the short magazine in it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Too bad... Sometimes pocket carry is the only real option I have. Maybe I'll buy one anyway.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Depends totally on you. I have a friend who carries a full size 1911 in a pocket holster a lot wearing pleated front Dockers. He also has a G17 with a grip cut down to G19 mags that he carries in the front pocket.

Carry is all about what you are willing to do. If you want to pocket carry the gun I'm sure you could figure out a way. Especially if you can find a tailor who "understand the program". Enlarged pocket openings and leather lined pockets come to mind.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interestingly enough, I just put my full size M&P in the front pocket of my Levi's and it almost fits. I am going to have to try the compact for myself and see. I'll report back....

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
When you all say "pocket" you're not actually talking about just sticking it in a pocket without some sort of holster are you?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
m4arc said:
When you all say "pocket" you're not actually talking about just sticking it in a pocket without some sort of holster are you?
In this case I indeed just put it in my pocket with no holster. A pocket holster will, of course, change things.

·
Registered
30 Posts
tb1911 said:
[quote name='m4arc']When you all say "pocket" you're not actually talking about just sticking it in a pocket without some sort of holster are you?
In this case I indeed just put it in my pocket with no holster. A pocket holster will, of course, change things.[/quote]

No way I am putting this gun in my pocket without some kind of holster to protect the trigger. There would be too much opportunity for the trigger to catch on something. Don't know about you but MY leg doesn't need a pin stripe. I have on occasion thrown it in a Uncle Mikes and clipped it in my jeans pocket, need a long short or jacket to pull it off, but that is the only way I would pocket carry.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have carried it in a pocket holster but; a- I'm a pretty big dude, & b- it's not really concealable that way without an overhanging garment. It's like pocketing a G26, it can kinda be done, but not well. It would work OK in cargo pockets w/ a counterweight on the opposite side, but a belt holster would carry it much more comfortably.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I concur. With the right clothes it can be done, but a discerning eye should be able to pick it up. I have carried mine in an ankle holster with no problems.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts