MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Specifically talking about the internals...

I mean, when I compare the inside of my M&P9 to my XD9, the XD just looks so much 'beefier'. There seems to be much more substance to the metal parts of the XD than there is to the same/similar parts of the M&P (slide rails, trigger mechanisms).

I love my M&P9, but all I've shot through it is plain-jane 115gr ammunition...I'm kind of leery to shoot any +p for fear of damaging what appear to be unfortified internals.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
The zettel polymer frame is formed around a stainless sub frame. Basically plastic covered metal. Glocks and XD's are just plastic frames so the need to be a little thicker. as far as slide and rails go, they are very similar in strength. I haven't heard of an M&P cracking frame rails, but it does happen on the XD!!

·
Registered
471 Posts
drw2514, the M&P is plenty strong for you +P rounds!! Lots of them. Personally, I think the M&P looks very strong inside.

Ron

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
i've owned 4 xd's no failures so far. my 9mm tactical gets the most use. .357sig for carry NO way it would be my regular shooter @ 18 dollars a box of 50

i need to reload

my m&p hasn't been through 2 boxes of ammo yet. so time will tell

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I shoot it plenty...up over 1000 rounds now. I hadn't thought about it until I got home from the range the other day and had them both field stripped to clean and noticed that the front rails on the XD were much larger and thicker than the rails on the M&P.

I did some research online and came across some pictures of the actual steel bits that are imbedded into the frame...and they do indeed look very strong. I guess it was just the aesthetics of the XD that made me think the M&P wasn't up to snuff.

M&P Internals:

M&P Rails:

XD Rails:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Since a lot of the folks writting in only have 1k or so through theirs....I just thought I'd share that our rentals must have a good 5k+ though em (a piece), and are still going strong on all orig. springs/ mags/ etc with not 1 jam/ problem that I know of.

It could be that they have twice that round count through them, it could be that they have a jam or 2 that no-one speaks up to us about....but they're doing all that we can ask of them, and have earned our faith.

we did have one go boom (dust cover blew off) over a year ago, but that was the first rev., and probably ammo related.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
The M&P internals are about as robust as the glock internals. which seem to be plenty tough.

The XD has more metal in the slide, but that just makes it heavier. Which if you like that.. then it is the right thing. All the mass is reciprocating though, which I really don't like.

I'm at 4,000 rounds, and the only problem I had was breaking a striker form dry firing it before I ever fired my first shot. The striker was just a lemon.

·
Registered
910 Posts
They'll stand up to +P's no problem. All I carry & shoot through mine are Speer Gold Dot 124gr. +P's, and I shoot a lot.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Yes it is, very weak. S&W won't admit it or fix it so the only safe thing to do is send it to an FFL in my town with my name on it. PM me for details.

All your M&Ps are belong to me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The owner of the gun shop where I bought mine was telling me that S&W put the MP through the same testing process that Glock does. And that the XD was only tested with 5000 rounds before they started to ship them. As he is X-Israeli special forces and more knowledgeable then me I will take his word for it.

·
Registered
422 Posts

1. The Xds had to start radious cutting the corners on the locking block do to cracking.

2. The Glock has the punietst rails/internals of them all. They had an issue with the frame rails simply shearing of on a batch of Glock 17's.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts